All reviewsstayed heretop classwould highly recommend this hoteldaveathloneweddingshannonbridgemotorwayguinnessireland
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Some places are worth reviewing more than once!! I know it’s not been that long since i reviewed the Moycarn Lodge and Marina, but having visited here quite a few times since, I think it’s only fair to give it another mention. Historically this venue has changed hands a few times from its original owner and founder/builder, it became the home of a long running and well know family named Bar/Restaurant, to another operator and now to its current holders. So by my count the current operators represent at least the 4th incarnation of the venue. Its location as its name implies in in the Moycarn area of Ballinasloe on the Shannonbridge Road (Creagh), and due to the fact that 90% of passing traffic now use the Ballinasloe – Athlone Road it’s probably a little off the beaten track. I’m sure this has to have at least some effect on its Business and the fact that its outside the “centre” of town or rather what’s left of it, I’m sorry to say, means that it may suffer a bit on the Lunch time trade too. But the Moycarn in its current persona is an absolute Gem, and deserves to be named as one of the best places to Eat or Drink in Ballinasloe. The current holders have made this a place that is both enjoyable to visit, and represents great value for money. The staff also deserve a honourable mention, as they are polite, welcoming and couldn’t be more helpful. The Menu is very good with a decent choice and a fair balance, with enough to cater for all tastes. The house version of several meals are also excellent and worth a try. Perhaps one of the great points of this venue is the atmosphere, which is relaxed and homely. I particularly like the fact that they holders have chosen not the jam more tables into the area than is required or needed, which gives every diner, enough space for comfort and to enjoy a level of privacy. For anyone in for just drinks there is ample bar space and seating to enjoy this too.

100% honest I don’t know what by way of accommodation is currently being offered, so I can’t comment on that. I would whole heartily recommend this place anyone visiting Ballinasloe or indeed anyone from the town looking for some high quality and value for money food. I have to also compliment the Guinness which is ice cold and is very moreish. While it’s not a complaint I would like to see a few craft beers either on tap or in bottles available, it’s such a big thing now it can’t be ignored. Ballinasloe might be a bit behind on this front, as I think the “traditional” drinks of choice still reign supreme and are largely unchallenged, but it might be a niche for a venue like this to develop.

Anyway visit the moycarn and I don’t think you will be disappointed on any front.

Room Tip: cant really comment on the rooms have its years since ive seen one, but those facing the river were nice.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Dfinnerty
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Attended the Moycarn with a special needs group on a few occasions and we can't thank them enough. Their staff are so kind and helpful and make the visit so enjoyable. The food is great and all the plates were left empty! It's great to see cheerful, happy staff who care for their customers! Thank you, we will be coming again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank ocriochain
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

Went here with friends for dinner it was fantastic, great choices on the menu. Went outside after meal they have a fab decking area and great views definitely will be returning with the children as there is loads of outdoor space for them to run around. Fab food and service

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Breda C
Reviewed 20 March 2017

I was traveling with a soccer team of high school aged girls. We spent four days at the property and had a fantastic time. The proprietors, David and Janet, were extremely helpful and provided great service to us. The rooms were large and comfortable. There was a large shared balcony overlooking the lawn and river. It was a quiet and peaceful setting, but still had good access to the motorway. The food at the restaurant was excellent ... certainly much better than we expected on a soccer tour. The entire staff was friendly. The adults in our group had good times in the pub each night, as well. We did a group kayaking tour from just outside the hotel that was good fun. It's a bit of a distance to most tourist attractions but not far from Athlone and a great place to go to relax. I would not hesitate to come back when I'm in Ireland again.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank ChrisJ_PHWM
Reviewed 15 February 2017 via mobile

Any body looking for a nice quiet romantic stay can indulge on this scheduled location nestled by the river bank and the food was excellent with the friendliest of staff ,excellent value for money and I will be back again soon

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends