New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Oriel House Hotel

Oriel House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballincollig
Cork, Ireland
“Horrible breakfast but staff nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Overall the experience was average - the room was spacious & clean. The restaurant was gorgeous food & nice spacing between tables. The corridor to the restaurant was pretty dirty though - if we hadn't booked a table I probably would have turned back. Luckily when we entered the restaurant it was nicely decorated and clean. The huge disappointment was the breakfast - I could have used the egg as a frisbee and the sausage was pretty unidentifiable. Breakfast was finished serving at 10.30, we got there for 10.15 and they were starting to clear everything away - we got our cooked breakfast first (looked like cooked for 8am and would not cook anything fresh) so when we got up for the cold breakfast they had already cleared everything away. We had to ask repeatedly for tea, coffee and toast. Definitely the worst breakfast I've ever had which is a huge pity. Staff were nice enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Firstly thank you for taking the time to post feedback on your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to see how poor your breakfast service was, I have passed your comments to the Food and Beverage team to ensure it does not re-occur. Should you find the confidence to return to the hotel in the future please dont hesitate to contact me and I will look after the booking for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was our second stay at the hotel as we had a bad experience first time round we decided to give it a second chance for a family party. The staff were more than helpful in looking after us during our stay, room was very spacious and clean, breakfast was fast and plentiful overall a very enjoyable stay great for family occasions.

• Stayed February 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SharonOriel, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for your nice feedback. We are delighted you gave us a second opportunity to showcase our hotel and that you got to experience the "real" Oriel House. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed here four times and always look forward to coming back.
Food could be a little cheaper in the bar.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback, we are delighted to see repeat business coming back to the hotel. Will forward your feedback for the bar to the bar manager for review at the next meeting. Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.
Limerick Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

on arriving at hotel the first impression of hotel of hotel was very nice,this impression continued on into lobby thru to our spacious bedroom for 2 adults and 2 kids.
The room had 2 double beds a couch for watching tv along with fridge and tea/coffee making facilities.
The leisure facility was very well equipped with full gym sauna steam room and plenty of play areas for kids.
The food was excellent both in bar and restaurant on both nights we eat there.The breakfast could be better managed/supervised with the food not that hot and a number of run outs at the cereal counter
We as a family travelled down as on mid term but there was no entertainment in the evening apart from other functions happening at hotel - which should have been mentioned to us upon booking.As we spent the weekend there and gave all the business there 1 gripe I always have, is that why kids are charged for a dash of miwadi (small but annoying)
The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dood8
Thank you for choosing to stay at Oriel House Hotel and thank you for your nice feedback. I will ensure that all relevant department heads are provided with a copy of your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Oriel House in the future
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

This morning, I rang the Oriel House Hotel to enquire about a room for 2 nights over 30/31st January 2012. I was immediately given a price of €60 with breakfast - I had not even had a chance to mention hat I had collected voucher from the Irish Sun that enabled me to a discount.

I then mention that I had the "Superstays vouchers" from The Sun. "Oh, er, ah," came the reply. "I will have to go & check, there are only so many of those I can accept". So off she goes to check whilst I was placed on hold. I was on hold hold for a couple of minutes whenever I suddenly heard "click". They had hung up! I telephoned back, to be told there were no rooms.

Charming.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sparkamus
Shaz26, Manager at Oriel House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We have investigated your comments and are unsure how this complaint was generated, if you could call me so I can go through the details. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballincollig
Midleton Park Hotel
The Kingsley
#4 of 23 in Cork
Douglas
Rochestown Park Hotel

Been to Oriel House Hotel? Share your experiences!