“Ok but not at that price”

Gistihusid - Lake Hotel Egilsstadir
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Egilsstadir
Reviewed 8 August 2017

you know its always hard to write a disappointing review but I really feel that i have no choice. At 350 euro a night :
we expect that the shower will stay at a continues temperature - after driving 10 hours a hot shower would be perfect - instead we had hot and cold.
we expect that if i need to call the desk because there were fireworks (but we didn't know that there was a firework show that night instead - we thought someone was jumping through the roof-- kind of funny now) that the phone and emergency numbers will work and not get a dead line .
The room was big and clean , and the receptionist was great - but its all in the little details.

Room Tip: our room had a great view - ask for the lake view
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Very good hotel, especially compared to our other hotels in Iceland. Rooms are modern and entrance / bar area is very cozy.
Restaurant is quite good too with a decent choice of wine.
A small but very nice Spa is also available.
Would not hesitate to go again.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017

Jamal (Luxury Travel Camel) and I stayed at Gistihúsið Egilsstöðum for the night of 24 June 2017. The hotel is in a quiet town in east Iceland, though the surrounding scenery wasn’t overly impressive. There is an overwhelming smell of horse-manure (or perhaps cow manure – I am no expert although Jamal may have a better idea) right outside the hotel but once you are inside the hotel you do not notice this. This is just one of the charms of the area I suppose.

I had dinner in the hotel, having made a reservation upon my arrival. The food was good and well presented. The staff are friendly. The restaurant was full – obviously a popular choice with the locals and other tourists.

I stayed in Room 2 on the top floor. There is a lift for the transport of your bags. The room keys are unique – the end of a deer antler I think. The room is large and cozy and the bathroom is adequate, though, like many of the hotels in Iceland, there is very little room (shelf space) in the bathroom onto which to unpack your toiletries. I am not sure why there is a need to leave the cleaning cart outside the rooms, in the passage, all the time. Perhaps there is a storage closet that could be used?

Upon arriving at the hotel my rental car was showing a ‘low tire pressure’ warning. I felt lucky that I was at the hotel already and not in the middle of nowhere. In the morning I dreaded heading to the car. As expected, the car had a flat tire. Being a Sunday I was concerned that this could derail my travel plans. Fortunately I managed to contact the rental car company who arranged for the garage up the road to be opened to fix the tire. I managed to put on the spare tire in the hotel parking lot – fortunately it was one of the few mornings that we didn’t have rain and it wasn’t too cold – before heading to the garage to have the tire fixed. The hotel receptionist assisted by pointing me in the right direction and offering me a local map.

The breakfast selection was good, and the coffee excellent. I waited a little longer in the breakfast and reception area while I waited for the garage to open before finally checking out.

Wi-Fi – the connection was fine and strong and I had no problem connecting to the Internet.

One thing that surprised me at EVERY hotel at which I stayed in Iceland, unlike any other hotel at which I have stayed around the world, is the lack of a porter service to take your bags to the room. Fortunately this wasn’t a problem for me but may be an issue for other guests. There is an elevator to get your bags to the room.

Would I recommend this hotel? Yes, the hotel is in a quiet town in east Iceland. I honestly have no idea whether there are any better quality hotels around the area but for a few nights in the area you will do just fine choosing Gistihúsið Egilsstöðum.

Review by Charles ARNESTAD under the username LuxuryTravelCamel

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Room was clean and functional but had all the charm of a public hospital and the staff were unhelpful and unfriendly. Perhaps the original part of the hotel was better but the new addition in addition to lacking charm lacked windows the opened more than two inches, curtains that did not keep out the light, and towels that should have been replaced long ago. The TV worked on and off and to get a wifi signal we had to go to the lobby. The location is okay but no nice places to walk unless you drive.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jsthouston
Reviewed 11 July 2017

There is the hotel in a new building, beside the guesthouse
Professional welcome at reception
Rooms are spacious, great bathrooms with heated floor. Perfect bed
Parking before hotel, close to town

Dinner is in a cosy space, high quality and friendly service
Breakfast of the same quality

Great stay, would go there again, but expensive, like all places and services in Iceland

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egilsstadir
0.4 km away
1 km away
Hotel Edda - Egilsstadir
Hotel Edda - Egilsstadir
#5 of 5 in Egilsstadir

Been to Gistihusid - Lake Hotel Egilsstadir? Share your experiences!