All reviews isla verde yoga studio lake atitlan climb stairs shared bathroom laid back get away from it all hot water the perfect spot my girlfriend eco resort my favorite place the entire staff amazing views quiet place private boat massage
Reviewed 17 January 2018

A stylish, tranquil spot on the edge of Santa Cruz. The beautiful lakeside dining deck and living room with fireplace were perfect places for relaxing. There is also an outdoor area with loungers and hammocks (some hammocks were in need of replacement though).

The rooms are more rustic than what you might expect given the "boutique" vibe of the hotel common areas, but remember that you are basically in the jungle in a town that is only accessible by boat. Our bungalow was very cute, but the mattresses were on the thinner side. The bathroom is open-air with a view, but the shower was generally cold. As other reviews mentioned, be prepared to potentially walk many stairs uphill to your room. The reward is seclusion and lovely views of the lake!

The staff were helpful and friendly and made us feel right at home, especially Ollie who was a wonderfully warm host. The food was excellent and they had many lighter, fresh options -- a nice change after eating heavier, local food elsewhere on our trip.

All in all, there are some minor things that could be done to make things more comfortable (new hammocks and mattresses!) but I loved my stay and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

Lovely place on the lake. Very relaxing and laid back. The people who run it are very nice. They were able to make my wife and i a delicious vegan meal for dinner. Everything is reasonably priced and right next door there is a place where you can book excursions, which we did. Hand down the most gorgeous place i have ever visited.

1  Thank matthewhodal
Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Isla Verde is a total gem. I'm a simple backpacker with basic needs. And I booked this place an an "end of trip upgrade" and loved it.

They have several shared spaces for hanging out, which are all great. A warm fireplace with candles at night is a highlight for sure as was dinner by candlelight and hanging flowers. Swimming in the lake is lovely. Their food is good. Dinner is a bit expensive but it was really tasty. You need to book by 3 or 4 pm each day and the only other nearby options are also guesthouses where you have to prebook, so make up your mind early.

I liked the room but it might be a bit more simple than one would expect from the price and/or the "decor" of fireplace area. There are amazing windows with views of the lake and they all open wide, which also means they do not seal perfectly. It can be cool at night. The bathroom with plants and a view is totally different and fun. It also means the floor can be covered in water after a shower and bugs could crawl on anything you leave out there (though I didn't see too many). We didn't have any hot water but I'm not going to complain about that here because we didn't even ask them about it, perhaps there was an easily fixable issue. Ultimately, how great is it to wash your hands while looking at a lake instead of at yourself in a mirror (there is a small mirror off to the side). As others mentioned, you do climb stairs from reception to your room, so be prepared to do that (they will help with bags).

The other guesthouses in Santa Cruz (sadly) have more of a party vibe, so this is the most chill and tranquil spot. I liked it and would stay there again over other options. It is kind of nestled into the hillside which means you won't get a sunset here (you can get more of the sunset just 5 minutes along the shore towards the main dock) but you can get a sunrise from your bed! Very easy to find. Take the foot path to your left immediately after stepping off the dock, 10 minutes walk.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

My boyfriend and I walked into this property and were completely taken aback by it's comfort and beauty. We were greeted by the owner, Riley, himself who was more than welcoming. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, accommodating, and authentic. The breakfasts and dinners were fresh, hand made, and out of the world. The romantic setting was breathtaking. The cabin we stayed in was more like a luxury/private two story house with an incredible lake view, and we felt like we could touch the show of stars at night. After our 3 night stay it was hard to leave, a stay we will certainly never forget. If your looking for a sensationally spiritual and serine get away in paradise this is it!

Room Tip: I recommend requesting a suite if your traveling with a family or want extra privacy
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I wanted a fairly quiet place with lake views that offered yoga and La Isla Verde was the perfect spot. I opted for the personal retreat which truly was a tailored experience, esp the yoga. The teacher, Maeve, focused on my intentions and led thoughtful yoga and meditation at my level. The eco resort itself is beautiful, with charming cabinas and great views. I didn't mind the steps up the hill at all. The food was very good. Amazed at what their little kitchen can handle. The entire staff from the grounds keepers to housekeeping to front desk were friendly and professional. Special shout out to Yana and Cheyenne for their above and beyond kindness. I wouldn't have changed a thing. Gracias por todo Isla Verde!

1  Thank YogaClimberGal