“Mildly Disappointing....”

Ranked #24 of 47 Restaurants in Dominical
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Costa Rican, International, Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: El Rancho restaurant & bar at Hotel Villas Rio Mar is considered one of the best places to eat in the area of Dominical and Uvita. The menu offers a great selection of international dishes and local specialties. Enjoy the quality food with a good glass of wine; the wine list is quite extensive and contains some nice wines that are rare to find in Costa Rica. You can also Bring Your Own Wine! Wine is expensive in Costa Rica; also for Restaurants! This makes wine in restaurants very expensive. El Rancho Restaurant at Hotel Villas Rio Mar in Dominical offers some great dishes that get even better when having a good glass of wine with it. We saw the problem and found the solution; just bring your own bottle of wine! The restaurant offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. The menu also includes tasty appetizers and special dishes for kids and vegetarians. Also quality espresso and cappuccino coffee is served. El Rancho restaurant at Hotel Villas Rio Mar is open to the public 365 days a year from 7 am to 9:30 pm. Socialize with family & friends, meet new people or cheer for your favorite team at our cozy bar. You can also enjoy an ice cold beer during a game of billiards, foosball or darts. Besides a selection of soft drinks, beers, wines and spirits, the bar offers wonderful cocktails & smoothies. You can also order a drink at our pool bar while having a refreshing swim in the large pool. Something to celebrate? Hotel Villas Rio Mar is the perfect place in the area of Dominical and Uvita to host private events as: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, dinner parties, wedding receptions and parties. Hotel Villas Rio Mar in Dominical also provides a fully equipped conference room and is the perfect location in the South Pacific for your business meetings & events.
Reviewed 8 January 2015

Four of us had dinner here in December 2014. It was a Sunday and a little later in the evening...around 7:00 pm. There were a reasonable number of diners in the restaurant when we arrived but not crowded. We were seated right away and had good service all during our dinner. I followed the advice or our waiter who recommended the evening's special, a flank steak served as a 3-course meal with a glass of wine. My dining companions ordered fish, a salad and a hamburger respectively. My steak was not well prepared...over done, tough and relatively tasteless. (I guess a good steak in CR is a rarity.) All three meat dishes came with a huge mound of garlic mashed potatoes. My desert was a glass of cold coffee with a custard cream on top....not very satisfying. My friends seemed to enjoy their dinners more than I did. While I can't recommend this restaurant, it was nice to try somewhere new and I would go back again but would definitely avoid their steak (and probably any "special" they offered.)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

getting a full sized plane on the mountain had to be a quite a feat! Good food! Can't wait until they get the airplane completed.

1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at these villas as part of a small scale tour. The other resorts' restaurants were disappointing, yet the food here would be a stand-out in the States. Nevertheless, the food has a Central American Twist. I had Tuna Timbale for lunch and Salmon for dinner: both were excellent. My wife had an actual blt for lunch and ravioli that was al dente for dinner.
This should be a destination restaurant for the area.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

Not only was the staff friendly and helpful and polite and humble the food was delicious. The salmon was great! The smoothies are delicious, the breakfast buffet is amazing. Overall a great experience.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed at the Rio Mar and loved this restaurant so much we ate there 3 times during our stay. Not only was the food delicious but the staff was outstanding. What service!