“Nice resort, some staff need training and rooms are OK”

Los Abrigados Resort and Spa
Ranked #41 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Hertfordshire
“Nice resort, some staff need training and rooms are OK”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Our first experience of Los Abrigados was not a great experience to start with. After driving 7 hours from Las Vegas, we were told by the front desk staff that they did not have our booking as booking.com has cancelled our reservation "automatically" in their reservation system. I have used booking.com many times with other hotels and never has a problem if I amend a reservation or in fact cancel one of the rooms on a reservation, but leave the other rooms intact. On this occassion, somebody at Diamond Resorts did not read the amendment paperwork and cancelled the whole of my reservation.

After 1 hour at the checkin desk with the staff telling me that the booking.com amendments are automated (clearly not or there is a major flaw in their automation), they decided to check us in and honour the rate that I had booked with booking.com.

We had reserved x 2 King Rooms that we received eventually and one with an outdoor hot tub. I'm not sure the hot tub had actually been cleaned prior to our checkin (judging by the dirt and scum around the bottom), but never mind, we wasn't going to use it as it was snowing in Sedona and looked truly magical with all the white snow and red rock.

We had a great time in Sedona and the layout and resort facilities at Los Abrigados are great, but it's a shame about some of the staff who are clearly not trained very well (if at all) and who try to treat customers as if they are stupid. If a hotel has made a mistake, admit to it, rectify it and move on. Don't proceed to have an argument with a customer at the front desk and try to shift the blame to me or someone else e.g. booking.com.

Would I go back? To Sedona yes, Los Abrigados .... not sure. There are other hotels offering great value and excellent locations throughout Sedona.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Avondale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I drive my husband crazy because I insist on planning vacations way ahead of time but, this is one case that I'm really glad that I did because of the speed bumps I hit along the way. When I originally started planning I looked into pet boarding because we have two dogs who we take everywhere with us and although my children weren't coming we still had the mutts. I realized quickly that the pricing for pet boarding in Sedona was out of my budget, so I began to look into pet friendly resorts. After making a few phone calls and checking pricing and weight limits and what not Los Abrigados ended up being my choice. A few weeks before my scheduled arrival I called the resort to ensure I had the pet room needed as the gentleman I spoke with before had told me to call a few weeks before to get my pet friendly room. When I called I was told that the rules had changed and pet friendly accommodations were only available for owners. I was very upset because I had already spoke with someone from the resort to ensure it would not be a problem. Needless to say I had to speak with a few different supervisors before they decided to take care of me. With that taken care of I was feeling pretty good until I called to make sure the room had only 1 king bed and not 2 doubles, this trip was for our anniversary. After getting no help from the first person I spoke with I went directly to the General Manager who said he would look into it for me. When I called his back to check on the status he had good news for me, and had taken care of the situation! I was very grateful. After arriving and checking into our room we realized they had upgraded us!! We were in a 1 bedroom deluxe, which was a remodeled room with tile floors, granite counter tops and a jacuzzi on the back patio. It was very nice, the kitchen was a little small, but had everything we needed.
I did want to mention the women who checked me in Diane, she was super nice and helped me with a couple things like a new blender when the one in our room started leaking. Also, surprising us the first night with a bottle of Champagne and plate full of chocolate covered strawberries accompanied with a card signed by the entire front desk! Major Kudos to whoever hired that woman, she knew how to make a customer feel special.
The resort was very nice with plenty to do including a mini golf course, a giant chess board, and billiards not to mention the 82 degree salt water pool! We took a couple swims and played some pool and walked out by the creek which was beautiful at night with the trees lit up with strings of lights, they even had a bird sanctuary.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room, Interval International just purchase the property and they are updating so...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jennifer H
Colorado
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Our first stay was in December,1996 - the place was shabby. Even so, the central location at the bottom of the Y in Sedona, right behind Tlaquepaque shops and restaurants, coupled with the Festival of Lights in the resort made for a beautiful experience. Magnificent reflected sunsets off the famous red rock formations. Since then, Los Ab has been through bankruptcy and emerged under the ownership of Diamond Resorts. Our second stay was in January 2012. The exterior has new paint and the gardens are maincured with topiaries. All rooms have new beds and bedding. Within a few years, all the interiors will be upgraded. Our one bedroom suite, Building A, 244, sat at the top of the property, less than 5 minutes walk to the lobby, spa and restaurant. All the spa facilities were included! That means, the outside salt water pool, steam room, sauna, gym, even the yoga classes. Only the spa treatments have a cost. Our 2 sided balcony gave us extensive views of the red rocks for both sunrise and sunset. The interior was fine but combined a newer Southwestern palette of colors with a left over purple sofa. The new carpet and tiles made up for the some of the older decor that will soon be redone. Now's the time to visit before it goes upscale. Deals are to be had! We enjoyed our stay so much, alternating days on site with hikes and jeep tours of the magnificent canyons and famous 'vortex' locations, we're going back for 2 more weeks this December.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank TrioQuest
Chitown
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The location of the resort is great near by downtown Sedona and short driving distance to uptown Sedona and west Sedona. The only problems we had were with the TVs, hair dryer, and the gym closing early. Other than that it's a cute place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel6266
Flint, Michigan
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We used a online service to bid for our room.The location is great, in the middle of all attractions in Sedona.Being a spa my wife went to yoga twice,we also used the outdoor pool& hot tub.Desk is helpful & friendly.We stayed in a condo that sat back from the main building. It was fully equiped with a kitchen.Room was large clean and quiet.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple