“Not bad, not amazing....”

Fairmont Scottsdale Princess
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed 22 March 2012

I was here for a conference for 3 nights. Overall, the hotel is nice but it depends what you compare it to. I've stayed in other Fairmont resorts (Turnberry, Boston, etc..) and out of those I'd say this one is severely lacking. The hotel itself is very large and I found everything hard to find...I'm 30 years old, not 80...so if I needed a GPS to find a place to grab lunch on the property then it's gotta tell you something. The rooms are quiet nice and large, no issues there. Their bath amenities are great, nice shower, lots of room. I stayed in building E and found it strange that the TV was located to the side of the bed...meaning you can't lie down and watch TV ahead of you. I had to move it to make it convenient to watch. Also, there are no premium channels available....just basic cable.
I found a lot of issues with the service at this hotel. While the front desk, concierge, bell-hops and "front office" staff were more than friendly....the staff at the bars & restaurants left a lot to be desired. Grabbing a few drinks at the Stone Rose, the bartenders there seemed more interested in watching NCAA Basketball then serving drinks. I was sitting at the bar for over 10min before someone even looked at me. On another instance, I was sitting in front of the bar beer tap and when the bartender tried to pour Guiness the keg was out and I got splashed with beer (hard to explain in writing). The bartender didn't even look at me, no apology, no napkin, nothing...no acknowledgement whatsoever. This is simply unacceptable at a resort with the Fairmont name (let alone any bar).

In closing, I think the resort is mainly catered to conferences and Golfers...not someone looking to just chill back and relax. The resort isn't bad, it's just not the place I would go if I am on vacation and paying out of my own pocket.

Cheers!

Room Tip: If you want to get sleep, don't stay anywhere near the pool or bar area...the music there is lou...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Roman B
There are newer reviews for Fairmont Scottsdale Princess

Reviewed 21 March 2012

Arriving in Arizona in mid March this hotel was a delightful surprise. I never expected to see so many water birds in Arizona --- herons, ducks, many others. Every day I could find a different one hour walk around the property. I got lost every time but that was part of the fun.
Restaurants less wonderful, at least as far as the food was concerned, though always very attractive.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We have enjoyed many properties in many places in Arizona, but I think the Scottsdale Princess is my family's favorite. When I go to PHX on business, and I tell them I'm staying at the Princess, it's the one place they always want to stay. Fresh Foods is a short drive away, but we often walk to get the exercise. When we walk around the golf course, we often see coyote as well as many rabbits. Lots of fun while getting exercise. Also good walking in the back streets over toward the public soccer fields and parks. Has changed management/ownership during the past 10 years, but still a good value when we've been there -- typically in June.

Room Tip: Casitas are superb if you can afford them. Ask for rooms that overlook the ponds if you can get them...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If attending a convention, this is the place. Big, beautiful grounds, lots of choice, golf, pools, etc. Unfortunately, for a couples week-end away, this may not be the best choice. We found the hotel a little too big to feel at home. The Fairmont Gold rooms / suites were great, as was the lounge, but it still had the feeling of being at a business meeting.

For us, we will not return, but Fairmont has done a great job of meeting a business / conference facility that rivals others save and except the antiquated business centre itself.

Room Tip: Fairmont Gold, but a little far from amenity areas.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Spent the week of March 3 at the Princess in a 1BR casita. Really a nice 5 star resort. The casita was big and comfortable, ideally located near the casita pool (unit 5402). Has a nice little patio with a table and chairs do you culd sit outside and enjoy your morning coffee. Casita pool is very quiet and private (it is one of 5 on the property), however does not have any poolside food and beverage services...a mistake in our opinion. Ate at the LV Bistro, which hjas an excellent variety of healty options. Pricey (no surprise) and uneven service ( big surprise). First morning breakfast was a disaster...waiter forgot to put in the order, 45 minutes later food finally arrives and the order is wrong, they offer a comp but never give it to us....sigh. But otherwise the stay was nice. Will we return the next time we visit Arizona? Likely NOT

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nhcouple090909
Elise P, Director of Sales at Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Casita and the resort overall amenities. The Casitas are one of my favorite areas of the resort as I believe it provides guests with a private, residential feel with all the amenities of the five diamond resort. I was very disappointed we did not live up to our high standards when providing breakfast service to you at LV Bistro and that your meal charge was still on your bill after the manager offered to remove it. We experienced higher than anticipated breakfast volume at the restaurant in the past few weeks and have revised our staffing levels to assure we can accommodate all our guests with an exceptional level of service reflective of the rest of the resort. Please contact me at 480-585-4848 if you are returning to the resort or the area, as I would love to host your breakfast during your next visit. We look forward to your return.

Warm Regards,