“Not bad”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Encanto
Reviewed 12 November 2017

I went to this restaurant on a Sunday afternoon. The area seems pretty empty on the weekends and Honey Bear's was mostly empty as well.

There is an outside area to eat by the entrance.

I went to the counter to order and asked what was the best thing they had. They said pulled pork. I got a combo with 3 sliders and mac and cheese. The sliders were one each of pulled pork, chicken, and beef.

It only took a few minutes for my food to come up. You have to pick it up at the counter and then they have booths like a typical fast food restaurant. They were pretty good. The chicken was a little dry, but I added some BBQ sauce and that helped. The mac and cheese was pretty good as well.

One caution, there were no normal soft drinks. Just RC and lemonade.

I would probably try it again, but would just stick with the pulled pork and skip the chicken and beef.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

We stopped here before going to a Diamondbacks game. It was kind of a dive, but some great bbq places are like that. We ordered 2 combo plates and the cashier didn't have any idea what we wanted even though we order by number. 2 in our group got their food rather quickly, and the other 2 took almost 15 minutes more even though we ordered about 1 minute apart and the orders were almost identical. The cashier had a long line of people but stopped to have a personal conversation for several mintues while people waited. The food was not bad, and could have even been considered above average except the meats weren't drained before they were spooned onto the buns and therefore the buns were extremely soggy. We will not be back to this location.

1  Thank ROBERT2448
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I am a huge BBQ fan, smoke my own, and visit BBQ wherever I travel. This place is disappointing. I had the combo sandwich/ rib plate. The ribs were very dry. It didn't seem dry from overcooking, but overdry from sitting out too long. They were also very salty. The pulled pork seemed good, but served on a plain "wonderbread" type bun. Cole slaw was good, but not sure it wasn't store bought. Beans were ok, a bit soupy, but I think it may be store bought and enhanced. I didn't see or smell any smoker, so I wonder if they do any smoking on site. Sauce was good, but a place like this, I wonder if it is store bought.

The service was very slow, there was only one person preparing food and one person taking orders and packaging take out. Had to wait long periods of time to have order taken and then again when there was an error with the order, even though there was no one in line and they were not very busy.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

OK, the AC unit was out, but the Pulled Pork was still cooking.

We did a take-out, along with Cole Slaw, and the Fries, and used some leftover Onion Buns at home, to make a few sandwiches.

The Pulled Pork was excellent!

The Slaw, still needs to be chopped, and drier, for the "Carolina taste." How they get those obviously frozen Fries to taste so good, no one knows.

Another nice meal, thanks to Honey Bears.

3  Thank The_Loup_Garou
Reviewed 15 June 2017

Loved Honey Bears when we lived in Phoenix and just made it back after a number of years. Not sure what happened but it went downhill. Sauce is still great and the Mac and cheese still awesome. Fries were good too. Pulled pork must not have been drained much as it made the bun a soggy wad and my wife had the same thing happen with her brisket. Son's chicken fingers were burned or the oil was way past its prime. I had to have a spoon full of Mac and cheese to cover the taste as the aftertaste on the chicken finger was hanging around. I'd try to get a plate of barbecue by the half pound and skip the bun entirely so you can smother it in sauce.