“Tender and tasty ribs in an informal joint”

Honey Bears Barbeque
Ranked #698 of 3,456 Restaurants in Phoenix
Price range: US$16 - US$16
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Encanto
Reviewed 10 December 2015

Disclaimer: I'm from NC, BBQ capital of the world with not one but two unique BBQ styles; Eastern NC and Lexington Style. I was curious as to what I might find in the center of Arizona's largest city as it relates to BBQ. Now, the best BBQ places in my state are not fancy and as a matter of fact, they're quite informal and have very limited menu offerings because after all, they're world renowned for their pork.

When I walked into Honey Bear's I was comfortable with the atmosphere. I caught it just after the lunch hours had ended and I had the entire restaurant to myself. I decided to try the most expensive combination they offered since I really wanted to get a good sampling in order to compare it what we're famous for. I was duly impressed. I actually preferred their sauces to those that are offered at home. On the pulled pork sandwich, the sauce was thicker and there are a couple of different choices in the heat level from which to choose. They also offer Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce if you want to put some extra tang to your thang. I actually prefer Texas Pete, but that's a different debate. The ribs were cooked to perfection with the sauce added on top. Personally, I finish cooking mine with brushed on sauce to get a little extra flavor but that's a minor point.

Overall, it was an enjoyable visit and the explain that I was from out of town and wanted to learn about their style of BBQ as opposed to what I had become accustomed. She was just a dud. However, the food was tasty. I'll visit again if I'm ever back in Phoenix.

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

So we go here often. But our last visit didn't go as always. The ribs are smaller and the sauce is a little spicier. The kids taking orders have an attitude of not wanting to be there. The tables were dirty. What's going on here.

Reviewed 6 August 2015 via mobile

I have eaten at Honey Bears for years and the pulled pork sandwich, coleslaw and cowbro beans keep calling me back. The food is fresh and service is friendly. The downtown location gets really busy on weekdays during lunch. Also try thier hotlink sandwich, it's great. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

If you are in the mood for barbeque in Central Phoenix, and willing to accept the fact that your are NOT in Texas, this place has something on the menu for you. We are talking ribs, chicken or beef served with endless quantities of tasty BBQ sauce. The setting is informal and the food is served on red plastic trays. The clientele is varied, relaxed and into their food. The staff is generally friendly and helpful. Our fries were well done and crispy (this is based on over 50 years of experience eating fires throughout the United States and Western Europe). Overall a decent and affordable barbeque meal in Central Phoenix.

Reviewed 15 July 2015

Nice little walk up BBQ place the Pork ribs were incredible. Now this not some white cloth table place and the tables are from a old chain restaurant the had moved on.