Ways to Experience Camelback Mountain
from US$61.36
from US$169.00
from US$190.00
2,512 results
All reviews echo canyon great hike challenging hike bring water great workout hiking shoes lots of water coming down trail head worth the effort rock climbing parking spot decent shape wear good shoes take your time phoenix area hikers
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 May 2018 via mobile

Beautiful! I only drove past them. They are breathtakingly beautiful. I live in NM, so I see mountains ranges daily, but never tire of them. They are one of the most fascinating acts of creation.

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

I have hiked up Camelback Mountain 5 times and every time it is amazing. In the past, it was not unusual for you to wait 45 mins to get a parking space (at Echo Canyon Trail off of McDonald) however this time we parked the car at the Hilton Village (purchased coffee drinks from the coffee shop) and called an Uber! They drove us right there and we started hiking! The hike is an ascend of 1280 feet and the hike consists of gravel, dirt, bolder climbs and some hand rail assist ascends. Bring lots of water and when you think you have packed enough...bring more. Many times I have given other hikers my extra water bottle because they don’t bring enough....one bottle of water bottle per person isn’t enough. Might want to also put extra drinks in the car to enjoy after the hike. I also pack snacks for when we are at the top of the mountain (fruit, salty chips, nuts, energy bars). Pack everything in a small backpack. There are bathrooms at the trail head of Echo Canyon but none on Cholla Trail (if you are lucky a port-a potty) on the trail. The dirt and gravel can be very slippery it is best if you have hiking boots however many hikers will wear tennis shoes (if you wear them, be ready to slip frequently). The rock and dirt is reddish orange.... do not wear white shorts or pants. Apply sunscreen before your hike. Be alert for snakes however if you stay on the main trail you are usually ok because of the amount of people hiking. This is not a hike where you will be alone, many people hike this mountain so be courteous. You will also see mountain runners, running up and down the mountain for time....crazy. Go early in the morning at sunrise for the coolest temperature of you hike in spring and summer.

Reviewed 18 May 2018

From the Eco Canyon side, it has three challenging sections. If you are a beginner, you could stop at the 1st section, which is ~10-15 min hike. Still, you will see some great view of Phoenix. If you can make it to "rock climbing" and pass the next section, even greater view awaits you. Definitely not for the novice hiker, and you should prepare with plenty of water, etc. Make it to the top, you will see the beauty of Phoenix you probably not experience in day to day life. Challenging but rewarding at the same time.

Reviewed 17 May 2018

I've always wanted to check out the popular Camelback Mtn. Got the opportunity last weekend-the Saturday before Mother's Day. My son and I took the Cholla trail, which is considered the "easier" of the hard trails. A lot of friendly hikers. We made it to the summit-a wide plateau-like area with plenty of space to rest until it is time for your descent, and a 360 view of the Phoenix metropolitan area. It was a very challenging; but wonderful experience-awe-inspiring, rejuvenating, fun. At the end, I felt like I could do anything-a great feeling of accomplishment. Some tips: Be well prepared mentally and physically: Read AND follow the recommendations from the Phoenix Parks and Rec.website: Water is a must, but you may add fruit and snacks as well: Take rests accordingly (bring something you could use as a cushion to sit on): The beginning of the trail is okay going up, but be mindful of uneven surfaces going down: Have fun!

Reviewed 12 May 2018 via mobile

WOW take lots of water. I am from similar altitude and heat but the heat still got to me. I had enough water for the climb but not for the return. Beautiful views and a great sense of accomplishment when finished.