“Best hotel for Cotten Center visitors” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South

Homewood Suites by Hilton Phoenix Airport South
Ranked #7 of 173 Hotels in Phoenix
NorCal
“Best hotel for Cotten Center visitors”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I've stayed here twice this year (2012), 2 weeks each stay. It is at the eastern end of the Cotten Center Business Park, and is close to PHX. The hotel is fairly new (don't know the actual opening date) and still is "shiney". My experiences with the staff were all very positive, especially Dorothy for the evening meal and Bizarre at the front desk. The fitness room is probably the best I've seen in a hotel, bright and airy with a view out to the pool.

My first stay my room was a handicap room. My only complaint with that room was the shower. It did not have any sort of shower curtain or door, so the water would run out into the bathroom area. I had to use an extra towel in addition to the shower mat to prevent that. Since this shower is wheel chair accessable, I don't know what could be done. Other than that, both rooms I had were fine. Although you have a full kitchen, you probably won't need it Monday through Thursday. The evening meals are pretty good.

If you do choose to dine out, local options are limited. There are several fast food establishments around the corner, but no Chili's/BJ's/Texas Roadhouse type places in the immediate area, let alone "fine dining". You will have to drive 15 minutes or so to upgrade your dining choices.

My only complaint about the hotel itself is that I can't get back into it for a trip in the near future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jaf006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
The West
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We took our first ever road trip with our 16 month old. This hotel really helped by having the separate room/seating area and kitchen. We brought our pack and play and portable highchair. We were in town for a wedding and the separate seating area allowed us a place to have a few family members over and our child to play. The room was very clean and the kitchen had some dishes, utensils, coffee maker etc. The fridge was handy as we had to keep our child's milk cold.

The breakfast bar was pretty standard: cereals, juice, fruit, waffles, toast, bagels, yogurt, boiled eggs. There are 2 featured hot item each day and a meat. One morning it was an egg casserole with hashbrowns (good). The other morning was just plain eggs and overcooked tater tots. The meat was canadian bacon and sausage. They did have 2 restaurant style highchairs so that helped.

We had some trouble with our interior door making large creaking sounds but the gal at the front desk was very pleasant and sent someone up to fix it asap.

There is a panda express and nice sandwich shop within walking distance. We did not use the pool but it looked nice and clean.

Overall I am very pleased with this hotel and will look for this chain when we travel again.

Room Tip: We had a room right by the elevator/vending area. Normally I would not recommend this room but as we...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Booked for a business trip. I was very happy with the room and the staff. The breakfast was pretty standard. My company had booked several meeting rooms for the week, they had some problems with regulating the temperature in the conference rooms. All week it was either too hot or freezing cold. They also catered breakfast for the group (both for out of town and in-town participants) and the catered breakfast was not particularly good: pastries were stale, only got fruit on one day, etc., I was glad I was staying in the hotel to take advantage of the regular breakfast. The pool was closed for maintenance or repair during my stay so I did not get to try it. The fitness center was adequate but did not seem to have climate control, was hot and steamy even first thing in the morning, and did not have towels available. Overall good value for the standard hotel items (room and staff), only "OK" for the extras I look for in a hotel: breakfast, pool, fitness center.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at this Homewood Suites on the last couple of days in January 2012 and had a pleasant experience. The hotel is close to the airport and located in a business district, but also not far from ASU. I booked this hotel through my corporate travel and was surprised to see that all the room types were the same price, so I booked the presidential style suite thinking that it was probably a mistake. Well, it wasn't. I asked the gentleman at the front desk if I really got that suite and he said yes. Check-in was easy and the front desk staff were very nice. Housekeeping also did an excellent job and the staff in the dining room were helpful and kind.

I was assigned to room 325 which is also equipped for guests with disabilities. So the counters were lower, there was a walk-in shower, etc. All the front doors to the rooms look charming. Upon entering the room, I was wowed by the size. I'd guess it's about 1000 square feet or so. There's a kitchen, dining area, large living room, separate bedroom with a sitting area and a large bathroom. Then there's a balcony with a view of the pool and a view of the mountains to the north.

The kitchen is fully equipped with a full refrigerator, sink with disposal, flat top stove, plenty of cabinet space and a pantry. The counter tops are granite and there's a large pass through bar from the kitchen to the dining area with three bar stools.

The dining area isn't walled off, but rather some space between the kitchen and living room with a table that seats 6. Off to the side is a work desk with a comfortable chair, phone and wired internet (wireless is also available in the hotel) for free.

The living room has a sofa, loveseat, ottoman, and a 42" LG LCD TV mounted over the gas fireplace. There's a glass door that opens to the large balcony that wraps around to the bedroom with another door. The living room and bedroom have separate thermostats.

The bedroom is also very large with a king bed and a sitting area with two chairs. There's another work desk in the bedroom with another internet jack. The closet in the bedroom is average size. There's a chest of drawers and another 42" LCD TV mounted on the wall.

The bathroom is huge with two sinks, granite counter tops, plenty of drawer space, a 32" LCD TV mounted over the Jacuzzi tub, and a walk-in shower. It was really nice to pull out the TV to watch while getting ready in the morning.

The hotel offers complimentary breakfast and 'dinner' in the dining area adjacent to the lobby. The breakfast includes hot foods such as waffles, etc., or pastries, cereal, juice and so on. The buffet dinner varies. The night I was there they had some pastas. And they include free bottled beer, soda and water for guests. Any of this can be taken back to the room. The hours are limited and the hotel does not offer made to order entrees or room service.

There's a pool and a very large hot tube in the center of the hotel. They also have a fitness room, but I didn't use to to rate it.

The drawbacks I found were very minor. The high speed internet isn't very fast. I used the wired internet because I was getting about double the speed of the wireless, but the best I could get was about 0.4 mbps download speed the evening that I tried it. Contrast that with 5.5 mbps I get on my 3G phone.

As I mentioned earlier, the hotel is located in a business area which was within walking distance to my office. But there are very few restaurants nearby (mostly fast food). I ended up dining over by the university which was about a 10-15 minute drive.

I tried out the Jacuzzi tub in this particular suite and wasn't impressed. The jets barely made bubbles and the tub itself wasn't very comfortable.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely stay here again when I return on business. Unfortunately, with my first visit being in a presidential style suite, the future visits may seem disappointing by comparison.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank BC97
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

The best staff i have ever encountered in a hotel. The food was great for both meals offered. Our two bedroon suite was awesome for 7 of us and was clean. For the money we paid the value was beyond excellent. Would stay here again without hesitation

• Stayed December 2011