“Not for the serious angler”

Rancho Tonto Catch-A-Trout
Ranked #8 of 22 things to do in Payson
Reviewed 8 August 2017

If you own your own gear, have a fishing license, fish in lakes and streams regularly, are looking for a challenge...this really isn't for you. Rather it is a pleasant smallish pond stocked with some of the hungriest trout that I have ever seen. I can't imaging anyone leaving after an hour or so without having caught 6 or 7 trout.

Poles and bait are provided, no license needed, and they will clean (but not fillet) your catch. Attendant was helpful especially for us...we had trouble removing the hooks from the fish that we caught, and she took care of it quickly.

Bottom line, not for the serious fisherperson, but a fun time for young kids or for people like us who go fishing maybe once every 5 to 10 years.

There are newer reviews for Rancho Tonto Catch-A-Trout

Reviewed 13 July 2017

A beautiful place in the White Mountains just east of Payson. Very laid back beautiful grounds. Fresh trout direct from Idaho. Nice size to give your young child/grandchild a thrill. Catch and take home to eat. $1 an inch. Poles and bait etc provided.
On another note, the grounds would be very nice for a small wedding. Gazebo and beautiful setting.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

I love this place! It's green and restful and beautiful and restful. The owners are friendly and fun to be around, and the fishing is great. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Their website indicates one night only reservations available Sun-Thur. I tried making a reservation for this Tue night and they told me the minimum was two nights. This is the second time I have had a negative experience with Rancho Tonto and I haven't even stepped foot on their over-priced property.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

This was by far one of the best family activities we have done in a long time. Randy the owner was fantastic. He fully explains what to expect and then provides assistance on landing all the fish we caught, (6) in less then 5 minutes. He then cleans and provides ice. They also have a fantastic 3 bedroom cabin on property that will really allow your family to relax and enjoy being together. It is on our next trip to Payson very short list.