“Next best thing!”

Price range: US$2 - US$4
Description: Filipino Cuisine
Description: Filipino Cuisine
Reviewed 4 October 2017

They said Filipino food is the next best thing, but right now, Kusina is THE THING! Great location, great food, great service and great owners!

1  Thank Jenny R

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Stumbled across this lovely establishment tucked away down a side alley in the middle of central Apia while searching for a bite to eat. So glad we did. As soon as you enter through the gates you transition from noisy street traffic to the peaceful paradise that any proper dining experience in Samoa should be.

My wife and I ordered the chicken curry and pork belly and both were excellent. The dishes truly have that home cooked, top quality taste that so many restaurants in the islands fail to capture. When we asked for chefs recommendations - Emily came right out to our table to make certain we were well taken care of. Hats off to the propietors for prioritizing that personal touch!

For whatever length of stay you find yourself on Upolu for - do yourself a favor and make time for at least one meal at Kusina. You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Delicious and quality food (reasonable prices), friendly service. Great location and an relaxing open restaurant setup. I would absolutely recommend this place to the pope.

Reviewed 30 April 2017

Wish I could give this place a five out of five. The food was absolutely delicious, the atmosphere calm and relatively cool on a hot day. We visited three times, got to dine twice. Highly recommended, and good value for money too.

Two quibbles unfortunately keep this from getting top stars, neither have to do with the food per se. First of all the hours are advertised higgly piggly- all over the place. I read online it was and wasn't open Monday, so showed up to be turned away. (On the other hand when we turned up the first time at 3pm they went ahead and served us which was very very kind.)

Secondly, and most important. The last time we ate I really really soulfully needed some hot sauce for my delicious lumpia, and the waitress did not understand that it didn't have to be in a bottle. Apparently the chef told her to offer some fresh chili sauce she was going to whip up for us as they were out of bottled stuff, and the waitress never conveyed this to us - so dissapointing! I would have loved to try this as I make hot sauces myself, and also it would have increased my enjoyment of the dish tremendously. The waitress was lovely and tried hard, but if she cannot communicate simple things like this then she is not able to effectively do her job. In a Filipino place, hot sauce must always be available!

Nevertheless can give nothing but a lot of praise to this place. We had the spinach and chicken dish and the shrimp paste and chicken dish. The pork belly was also very good. BTW the chicken in Samoa is wonderful as most of the chickens are fed with the coconut meat that grows abundantly around.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

Visited Kusina's new Saleufi location for the first time and I was so impressed, not only with its peaceful location, away from the craziness of Apia but also its open-air setting and scrumptious food, not overly charged. Loved every moment and to get a close-up encounter with the Phillipino lady Chef after settling your bill so you can provide your feedback directly was something I haven't come across before on-Island. Great stuff Kusina team, keep it up!!!!