All reviews mountain guide the owner rock climbing imbabura volcano indoor fireplace lots of fun stayed nights other guests surrounding mountains northern ecuador emerson summit hike hostel leather adventure isaac
Reviewed 15 February 2018

My wife and myself had a great experience this past weekend with Emerson. He guided our group to the top of Imbabura volcano with professionalism and is extremely knowledgeable about the area.

We hope to go back someday and do all again, highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 February 2018

The hostel is absolutely warm, inviting, and beautiful, decorated with local art with such fine detail, that there is always something new to notice even after a few days. There is an indoor fireplace in which travellers often socialise with each other around, as well as such wonderfully eccentric and fun things as a climbing rope hanging from the tall ceiling. One of the owners of the hostel named Emerson, is energetic, fun, and creative, and loves to meet and show off fun things with travellers. In just the three nights I stayed, he had taken travellers rock climbing, took me to meet students at a school and to walk around the region, and had more travellers dress up and dance in traditional Ecuadorian attire to the traditional music. I would recommend this to any traveller who enjoys art and cultural immersion.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2017

I am so happy I decided to go to Ibarra and La Esperanza. If not, I would have missed out on quite an adventure. Emerson is incredibly helpful and nice. In my two days there, we became good friends. Emerson (with trusty side kick perro Isak) guided me up Imbabura; I felt very safe and had a great time. Emerson gave me a great suggestion for a hike to Cubilche lake. This is a great 3ish hour hike for people who want to hike in the area but are not interested in Imbabura and is worth coming for. The rooms are very comfortable, with traditional wool blankets. It was so nice to get out of loud cities and enjoy and totally quiet night in La Esperanza. Staying here is like being at home with a great Ecuadorian family, it's not your average hostal experience.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Kfitzgeraldalaska
Reviewed 16 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights at Refugio Terra Esperanza. It was a delight. In the day time we explored and ate at many of cheap local places. At night we gathered around either the indoor or outdoor fire. Emerson has a heart of gold and will take you on some amazing walks or climbs if you are interested.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the hostel for one night. It is 7km from Ibarra, however it is very easy to get there by bus. It is quiet and very pieceful. I got there s I wanted to climb Imbabura the next day. Emerson, the owner is a mountain guide and decided to join us the next day for the climb. He is very fun and was helpful. He knows the area very well and will help you with anythig you need to know. It was a little confusing wheter breakfast and dinner was included in the price but other than that, eveeything was fine. If you like hiking, this is the place to go!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo