“GREAT!!”
Review of Hielo y Aventura

Hielo y Aventura
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Concessionary company of Glaciers national parks, certified by a quality standard ISO 9001:2008. We develops excursions to walk over Perito Moreno glacier, and navigate in front of its southern wall. Minitrekking: 10 hours tour, including transportation from Calafate, one hour visit to panoramic view point, 20 minutes navigation, and 1:40 hour trek on the ice. Physical effort: Medium high Big Ice: 12 hours tour, including transportation form Calafate, half an hour visit to the panoramic view point, 20 minutes navigation, 3:30 hours trekking on the ice. Physical effort: High. Safari Nautico: one hour navigation in front of the southern face of Perito Moreno Glacier. It does not include transportation. It can be purchased in the park, the day of the tour.
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Hi,

We came back, it was really nice! watching the perito moreno is one thing, walking on it......... WOOOWWWWW.

Just as you get to El calafate, check with other ocmpanies too. Sometimes there are special combo prices if you take this attraction and ther stuff like chalten.

3  Thank DTA80
Write a ReviewReviews (2,605)
All reviews
"boat ride"
in 56 reviews
"ice trekking"
in 31 reviews
"the perito moreno glacier"
in 52 reviews
in 24 reviews
"hour hike"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 17 March 2011

my wife and i just completed the big ice with Hielo y Aventura yesterday, and we were blown away by both the glacier experience, as well as our experience with Hielo y Aventura. They were organized, they had nice transportation, were on time, communicated well, etc. They did a great job.

the hike up to the glacier was a kick in the butt. I'm 43, and am fairly athletic, but I don't work out. My wife is 37, and is not very athletic at all. And we were both sucking wind by the time we got to the point where we put on our harnesses and were sized for our crampons. However, once you get to the glacier, there is still hiking involved, but it isn't nearly as intense. And in the end, the hike was very well worth it. We both highly recommend Hielo Aventura and the Big Ice tour. It was an experience neither of us has stopped talking about, and I'm sure we will never forget.

1  Thank jeff34895
Reviewed 17 March 2011

This was by far the best activity of my 3 week trip in Argentina. We went to see the glacier moving and falling in the morning. In the afternoon, we did a 20 minutes boat ride. After, we spent 90 minutes walking on the glacier (with metal crampons attached to our shoes). The small trek was perfect for me; it was like an initiation to glaciers and honestly, even though we only walked for a little bit more than an hour, it was very tiring. For people that love glaciers and are very healthy, they can do the Big ice trekking, which is much longer. The activity is a bit expensive but really worth it (even for low budget travallers). In short, it was an amazing experience.

1  Thank _Slinky_4
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Our two guides were excellent. Unfortunately, my body is not. This was extremely demanding and I was clearly the weakest link on our tour. I am in fairly good shape but if you cannot stand the thought of hiking 50 minutes uphill on a dirt steep mountain do the mini trekking instead. That 50 minute trek was just to get to the glacier. It was physically demanding and I thought I was going to pass out when we got to the top.

Once we were on the glacier, it was still a lot of walking, but certainly not as bad as the 50 minute hike uphill to get to the glacier, without guardrails and a very rocky descent below. I hike a fair amount but this was for serious hikers. I can officially call Big Ice a once in a lifetime experience because I will never do it again!

With that said, it was truly an amazing experience, and now that it is over, I am happy I did it. No matter how you get to the glacier, just get there. It is an absolutely incredible sight.

9  Thank nyc_travel_grl
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 February 2011

We did the mini-trekking excursion and it was enjoyable. I did prefer the excursion we did the previous day at Viedma Glacier (run by Patagonia Aventura) - it was more advanced. But this was a good 2nd day tour/excursion. The guides were good. It was a larger group than Patagonia Aventura which made it a little slower and some people weren't fit enough for the glacier hike. The tour ended with the balconies that allow spectacular unobstructed views of Perito Moreno Glacier. Definitely a must-see.

Hielo y Aventura seems to have a monopoly over the glacier tours so you don't have many options and it's worth the money (even if it's a little overpriced).

1  Thank LuvtoTravel514