“A wonderful, boutique gem”

Aldebaran Hotel & Spa
Reviewed 25 September 2008

I was originally planning to stay at the Llao Llao, as that was the hotel highly recommended by a colleague. When I went online to book, there were no rooms available for when I would be in Bariloche, so I decided to book at the Aldebaran instead.

I was certainly not disappointed with my stay. The hotel has a country estate feeling, almost if I were staying in someone's home. I had just arrived from BA, and was suffering a rather severe cold, so the Aldebaran was just the place to get some rest and recuperation.

The room was simply gorgeous, designed in a very minimalist way. I had a balcony overlooking the lake and the snow capped Cerro Otto, and I could sit there for hours just taking in the view. The accomodations were large and comfortable, and the bathroom was so large it could be mistake for a squash court. My only complaint was the location of the bathroom windows, a little too low that it didn't afford a lot of privacy, but then again, it was a secluded small hotel and privacy was not an issue.

Service was very good and professional. The front desk staff always helped us find things to do and arrange for trips, understanding that I was too sick to do anything overly exerting. They even got us on a very exciting trip zip-lining through the snowy forest - a highly recommended trip.

Because of the remote location, it was difficult to get away for dinner at outside restaurants. I ate dinner mostly there, and the food was very well prepared. It took a while for service to warm up, but by the second meal, the professionalism opened up to a more friendly demeanor.

Overall I would highly recommend the Aldebaran for a wonderful, secluded escape. Because of its remote location, don't expect to go out to town after a day of skiing or hiking - it's far too remote. However, I think that's what adds to it's charm.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank JDTears

Reviewed 4 August 2008

A most enjoyable and pleasantly memorable stay. The accommodations were first class with unobstructed views of the pristine lake and snow-capped mountains looking out from the balcony as well as other parts of the hotel The hotel staff was always friendly and quite helpful. The food was very good and while not 5-star level, it was not the main reason for staying there. If going for a walk, there are dogs around, but they are quite harmless and very friendly. One followed me back to the hotel after a long walk along the lakeside area and was there the next morning waiting to play some more! I found out later that the dog was being trained as a mountain rescue dog. A car/taxi is needed to get anywhere else within 20 - 30+ minutes, but that's not the point of staying here. If you prefer to have the Bariloche city/centro area (75% souvenier/ski clothing rental shops/bars) at your doorstep and mingle with more of the tourist population, you might want to consider other options. However, as a nature retreat or getaway, this place is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank viajeiro
Reviewed 29 April 2008

We were fortunate that this wonderful hotel was chosen by our travel agent for our stay in Bariloche as the town itself didn't seem too appealing. I think you really need a car (which we had prebooked) as there is plenty to see and do in the area, althought the pool and spa are a great way to relax. We had intended going out to eat on at least 2 of our 4 nights as normally hotel food isn't the best, but on this occasion there was no need as the food and serice were 1st class. I can ony add that if you are planning to stay in that area this is the place!

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank betstan
Reviewed 18 March 2008

My fiance and I spent four nights at the Aldebaran and completely loved it. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and immaculately clean. We had one of the Cerro Lopez rooms that looks over the lake and mountains with its own balcony, it was wonderful to wake up to that view! We had dinner at the hotel two nights and the food and service were perfect. Breakfast was pretty standard, and they have a great afternoon snack menu that we ordered from a couple of times as well. The lodge is about a half hour from town, we didn't rent a car, and didn't really feel like we needed one. The two nights we went to dinner we called a taxi and they are pretty reasonable. I don't think either of us would have wanted to navigate the roads home after dinner either so this made it easier. The excursions we took for the most part picked us up, so that wasn't a problem either. The staff at the hotel was absolutely excellent. Cecilia and Augustina at the front desk were wonderfully helpful arranging everything from dinner reservations to guided hikes to kayaking trips. There is a nice pool/hot tub/sauna/spa area that is a pretty decent size given the small number of rooms in the hotel. We used it a couple of times and were the only people there. I would not hesitate to recommend the Aldebaran to anybody travelling to the area.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jgodic
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We stayed at the Aldebaran Hotel and Spa in Bariloche for four nights in December of 2007, over the holidays. Our travel agent, wowargentina, booked it for us. We'd have never found it otherwise. It is out on a peninsula, near the famous "Llao Llao" resort. But, unlike the other larger hotels in this bustling resort town, it is a quiet, tranquil and beautifully relaxing space. The rooms are very spacious and the view from the hotel is awesome. One of the things we really liked is that the guests congregate in the lovely, intimate public areas and get to know one another. We met several couples there and went to dinner with many of them. The staff is extremely friendly and very competent. Celia, the manager, was extremely helpful with suggestions on what to do and where to go. The staff can book anything for you -- from dinner reservations to excursions. Don't hesitate to stay at this lovely hotel. You will love it!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple