“Worst pizza ever”
Review of El Charo

El Charo
Ranked #99 of 130 Restaurants in Puerto Iguazu
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

Me and a friend shared a pizza while waiting on the bus to Corrientes. I must say that the pizza we had was probably the worst pizza I ever tasted, and when I say that I include all the pizzas you buy frozen at a supermarket and cook in the microwave, not just pizzas I've eaten at restaurants. It was truly horrendous and this from a place that advertises itself as a pizzeria.. They didn't make their own dough, instead used some kind of bought bread and the toppings was canned mushrooms and sliced cheese (we had their special pizza, the most pricy one at 230 pesos).

What upset me even more than the pizza was the smell in the restaurant. It smelled like a combination of wet dog and mold. Hadn't we been in a rush we would never gone here.

I could never recommend this place do anyone. Please stay away!

Reviewed 30 May 2017

We couldn't find the parilla we were looking for, so ended up in here. It is a very large, brightly lit restaurant with no atmosphere. I would have liked to have softer lights and some South American music to get a better feel. The food was just OK but not special. The fries looked a bit like they had been overcooked, the meat was not too bad, and the salad was nice.
As someone else mentioned, there was a tray on the table with a plastic supermarket bottle of sunflower oil and a plastic chimichurri bottle. Why could they not have glass bottles of olive oil and vinegar, and home-made chimichurri ? This is Argentina? When I asked for a glass of wine, there was no choice as they only had one variety opened - Santa Ana, so I had that. I must say for 50 pesos a glass, it was the largest, fullest glass of wine I have ever had, and I could barely lift it. I probably would not return to this one.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

We came here at the recommendation of the hotel we are staying. It's a large restaurant and for more than an hour we were the only customers till 9:30 when others showed up. We did not read the reviews here otherwise we would not have come. We all ordered fish and the dish came with a salad. The fish was so salty we could not fish them (all four dishes!). I cannot recommend this place. The fish fish was about 220 each, Total bill was just a little over 1000 pesos with two bottles of beer. Stay away.

Reviewed 27 February 2017

You can only eat so much fantastic Argentinian steak and so I tried for a change for a Pizza. The sunflower oil in a plastic supermarket bottle on the table should have been a clue as to the quality of the place. The piazza was terrible, bread rather than proper pizza dough and cooked in a cool oven rather than a super hot pizza oven. The waitress was surly and I though it was just me as a tourist. But the Argentine couple at the next table got more and more angry as their meal dribbled out of the kitchen item by item. Best avoided

Reviewed 16 February 2017

This is a good restaurant. We ate here a couple of times, sampling pacú (a local fish) and their grill plate with a variety of meats and extras - morcilla, black pudding, for example. Food was tasty and the portions were generous. We enjoyed local beer. There is a good selection of wine but it was rather expensive. They serve right through the day and early evening so we could enjoy an early dinner. We were staying out of town so they called a taxi for us when we were ready to leave.

1  Thank Jan C