“Enjoyed our stay”

Dante Boutique Hotel
Ranked #283 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We began our trip in Argentina with 3 nights at Dante. Everyone on the staff was really friendly and helpful with information both in-town and for our trip out of town as well. The room was a clean and basic with no-frills. We really enjoyed staying in San Telmo for its character and restaurants. We also felt quite safe and found it very easy to walk pretty much everywhere we wanted to go.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Dante Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 30 January 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here - we stayed for only 1 night (in transit from Colonia and traveling further to El Calafate).

The lobby and room look very modern and slick - we really loved the style of the hotel. We didn't get to see the breakfast as we were leaving early in the morning for the flight. We asked to be woken up, and the attendant personally came up at 3AM to wake us up (there is no phone in the room).

The location of the hotel is quite good - close to the attractions of San Telmo.

Overall, we really enjoyed our short stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I spent 6 nights total at the Dante Boutique. when you first get there- you think that this location sucks- across the street from the autopista- but upon further examination it was fine- and I am an older woman traveling alone.
The hotel is small - only 9 rooms but the rooms are well furnished and very comfortable. My bed was great and everything seemed to work. There is some deferred maintenance but it is mostly cosmetic. They give you big bath towels too- very nice.
They do give you breakfast but it isn't very good- and the biggest disappointment was that there is no internet in the rooms- you have to go to the lobby.
The staff is wonderful and they speak great English and are very knowledgable about the area.
The hotel is located in San Telmo- the old part of Buenos Aires- close to many excelent restaruants, - the subway is a 10 minute walk and you can walk to the center in 15 minutes.
I paid about $58 for the room- which was really good for the money so the inconvenience of having to go to the lobby to use the internet was not so bad.
A definite recommendation for budget travelers

Room Tip: the back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I'm sitting in my room without aircon. It's a heat wave outside, but no aircon in the rooms. We had a power outage this morning for a few hours. They told me that the whole city was out, but shops up the street had power. Anyway the power is back on but not the aircon. The girls on reception informed me that the manager would come at 4pm, and then maybe they would call an electrician.

My general feeling about this place is that the initial enthusiasm with which it was conceived has waned. The hotel seems to be understaffed with only one person on reception and a girl to clean the rooms and fix breakfast.

On our first morning we went down to breakfast and were ignored by the attendant, even though there was only one other person in the room. She eventually served us coffee which was lukewarm and undrinkable. We noticed the other guest had orange juice so we asked for that, but were told that had run out. This was at 9am. Breakfast started at 8.30. On the second and third day we were served orange juice, freshly squeezed, and it is now the only reason I go to breakfast at all.

The above piece was written on our first morning. The staff have since become more friendly, particularly the regular day clerk who has been quite helpful (perhaps the night staff need more training).

We arrived at 10.30pm, exhausted after a 40 hour flight from Malaysia. I rang the bell on the gate, but there was no response. Then we realized that the gate was open and we dragged our luggage into a dark foyer, where we found a silent unfriendly face looking out at us from behind the reception counter.

I awoke early the next morning to realize that I hadn't been given the wifi code, and there was no remote for the television. I made a call to reception but there was no answer (I later found out the room phones don't work). At 6.30am I ventured downstairs. The night porter couldn't really help me with the remote control. He gave me the wifi code but I didn't manage to get online. I think the problem is a weak signal in our room.

I since found out there is never any signal in any of the rooms, and even in the foyer the wifi signal is intermittent, probably more off than on. I think that this alone would be enough reason for most to avoid this hotel.

Location wise, I wouldn't say it’s fantastic. It is on the edge of San Telmo, which is an interesting area for me because I haven't stayed in this area before, but you need to walk a few blocks before coming into San Telmo proper. It's a long walk to centro. For those first timers to BA I would suggest getting a hotel in or nearer to centro, where most of the action is. I went out looking for a bank, an ATM or somewhere to change money, and ended up walking all the way to centro before I found anywhere. They couldn't change US$100 for me at the hotel because she said they had not enough pesos. (The going rate in Centro is 9.6 pesos for the dollar, by the way.)

On a positive note, the room looks great, there was a window that opens onto a courtyard, there is a big comfortable bed with a warm duna, water pressure is great and I had a long hot shower, but I hated the concrete floor, even in the summer heat it is cold under foot. There are no power points in the room (only in the bathroom), and no desk or table other than the small round table pictured , and the bed side tables. This is partly offset by good bench space in the bathroom.

In conclusion I would suggest that this place is in a downward spiral, and the managers are doing whatever they can to save money (even toilet paper is the cheapest), usually at the expense and the comfort of their guests.

We were moved to a bigger room for one night, and I have taken pictures of both the large and the smaller rooms so you can see the difference. You will see that even the smaller room is quite large.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kanan A
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Dante is in an old building but feels modern and new because of the beautiful decor and lively staff. Some of the most helpful staff that I have encountered in latin america. Always smiling and ready to help an old man navigate his way through a big city. The breakfast was nice and the airconditioning a plus since the city got hot while I was visiting. One of my best hotel experiences in all of South America and definntely the best in Argentina

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo