“If you are interested in tango and are in Buenos Aires, then do come to Esquina de Carlos Gardel!”

Esquina de Carlos Gardel
Ranked #123 of 6,347 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2017

If you love captivating music and intricate dance rhythms, beautiful bodies and sleek costumes, then Esquina de Carlos Gardel is a place you will enjoy enormously. It is full of the radiance and history of tango expressed with a vibrant live orchestra, and the captivating rhythms that express the soulfulness of tango!

Reviewed 7 April 2017

I knew nothing about the Tango. We went with our tour group for the show and dinner. I learned the history of the dance during the video shown during the meal. The one hour show started thereafter. My review of the show would be a 5. But the meal was so bad, I had to give the overall experience a 2. I also do not like the practice of staff taking pictures of your party and trying to sell them to you post-show.

Reviewed 8 March 2017

A lovely warm welcome from the ladies at the desk who take your name and allocate you a waiter to escort to your table. What a great start! Then you have to queue up to have your photos taken with the dancers striking a tango pose - most embarrassing with all the other diners looking on! Then you get to your table which is nicely set and the theatre is eaqually attractive. After a short while your orders are taken for dinner and wines and then dinner starts at 9pm prompt and out cones the school dinners, nicely presented I'll agree but quality wise very poor. I took the soup which was safe and the others took different starters which had obviously been lying out. The main course I opted for was pork, totally inedible and the chicken was equally dry. The only decent option was the beef which was freshly cooked to your taste but it was a massive chunk of beef. Desserts were good but cheese inedible and most diners I noticed left it on their plates. Afterwards coffee was served (but no tea) and then a film was shown on the large screen all about Carlos Gardel which was quite interesting, and then the show started.
The orchestra was good and accompanied the singers and the dancers. The singers weren't singing anything I recognised or enjoyed but were competent enough. Then the dancers came on, there was a more mature couple who danced the tango as it would have been done last century and there were four young couples who were acrobats as well as dancers and they were incredible. It maybe wasn't tango as you know it but it was spectacular all the same. I'm not sure exactly how much the evening cost as it was part of our tour package but it certainly wasn't cheap - if I went again I would see if it was possible to arrive about 9pm but only have drinks there as I would have a decent dinner in a nearby restaurant then come for the show. There were several tables set for drinks alone along the back of the theatre but raised up so you would still have an excellent view - and we did see two groups of ladies who arrived and did just that. Maybe they only do this if the theatre isn't full but you would save yourself the cost of the dinner and spare yourself the cringeworthy photo taking experience!!

1  Thank whitesheilagh
Reviewed 8 March 2017

Excellent option to experience a tango night.
The venue is beautifully decorated , located inthe neighbourhood where Carlos Gardel lived.
As all touristic places we can not expect top quality food , but that night my food option was very good , and the dessert superb - a sampler of argentinian pastries.
The show is a caleidoscopic of tango dancing and singing. The band performed wonderfully well.

Reviewed 20 February 2017

The atmosphere: packed, but not crowded if you are part of a tour. There are private seats in booths and balconies for others. Not a fancy theater. There are black and white silent movies of tango related themes. Food: my first course of empanada was very good, but the entrée of pork was sooo dry, my husband's steak was very fatty and gristly as were those around us. The spaghetti one person had was deemed "food." We each received three small desserts, the flan was best. Wine flowed freely. Most of our group enjoyed the show immensely! It portrayed tango through the years with a mix of tango songs, tango music and tango dance. We were told that we would not understand the feelings behind the songs even if we heard them, but it would have been nice to have the words to at least one song to follow along. With my limited knowledge of Spanish I would pick out a few words and make up my own songs.