“Easy stay in nice location”
Review of Hotel Bolivar

Hotel Bolivar
Ranked #384 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Simple hotel, very basic. You get what you pay for. We shared a twin single room, the room was clean, the beds seemed clean. (Never sure, so we just chucked a sheet on them anyway). The majority of the staff were very helpful and friendly, there was only one older gent who wasn't very interested. Fantastic location, just 3 mins from Plaza Dorrego in San Telmo. Bit scrubby around the edges, but to be expected when paying 10 GBP a night per person. Recommed stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon Q

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Only a 10 minute walk into the city centre and safe neightbourhood. The bathrooms are nice and spacious. Drawbacks - they offer no facilities, no kitchen, internet or TV common room. The rooms are VERY basic and need some work done.

Room Tip: Rooms are very basic, stairs are small and slippy so try and get one near the ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Voilareally
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Upon arriving, I read the previous review on bed bugs so I inspected the bedding and mattress. After sleeping the first night I hadn't noticed any bites, bugs or poop spots so I think I might be in the clear. The first room I stayed in had no heating since it's meant to summer guests. The second night I checked the mattress a bit more thoroughly and still no bugs or evidence. I guess the fact that this mattress has no signs and seems kinda old helps me feel better.

The price here is unbelievably cheap. Since I'm here alone for a few days (and on a budget) $105 pesos ARG a night for a private double room with a bathroom seems like one heck of a deal. It's not technically a hostel but they've obviously put some work into the kitchen. It smells like new paint and has the basics including a four burner gas range, full refrigerator, cutlery, pots/pans, cups, etc.

The amazing thing about this place is that it WAS obviously really nice. Spiral staircase, marble steps, wood and tile throughout. It's sad that it kind of looks like it's falling apart. Yes, paint is peeling, wood floors are in horrible shape, but it has a certain charm that makes me want to photograph the heck out of this place!

Anyhow, I would come back... I LOVE the location and all of the shops, restaurants, indoor market and monster huge antique street market on Sundays, pretty freaking incredible area of town!! <3

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank christine_candice
Reviewed 19 February 2010

we booked a reservation after friends recommended. Seemed like good value, great location.. but then...our bed was a bed bug Pearl Harbor. After 2 hours, we started scratching a lot... turned on the light and we found 15-20 bugs in our bed. I went downstairs to tell the guy at the front desk.... first, he called them mosquitos (that's the typical response) so then I emptied a jar with three inside on the reception desk. He didn't charge us for the night and we left soon after. YUCK!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank benjiwitz
Reviewed 14 November 2009

The hotel is in San Telmo near Bocco and therefore is not central: however taxi rides are inexpensive and the subway is within a half hour walk.

The units are each unique and all surround courtyards. The units are not quiet...the hotel owners rented the roof deck for a party (above us) and the party continued until very late and were aware of the noise until 4 am and did nothing. In the unit we had you do hear those going up and down stairs and walking above you and if anyone is in the courtyard in the morning you will hear them: our units was ground level. Plumbing was a bit of a problem and requests to fix the problem were not dealt with until reminded and the last two day just not fixed.

For the cost you would be better off with a unit more central....as other friends of our did during the same visit

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends