“A good way to meet interesting people and get an instant expat experience”
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Ranked #6 of 6,412 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Price range: US$80 - US$80
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Recoleta
Description: We offer a unique social and dining experience, sharing a table with other guests in our home. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic — exploring the spices, herbs, chilies, and ingredients of the Andes, fused with global cuisine. Although not vegetarian, our focus is on fresh vegetables and fruits of the season as the key elements of each dish. We do tend to work with a lot of seafood, and generally at least one course will be fish and/or shellfish. It’s all about meeting new friends over good food and wine. For more than a decade, a truly don’t-miss experience for both travelers and locals!
Reviewed 13 February 2012

The menu was a bit of an odd mix, but overall good quality food. The portions were big for a 5 course menu but on the other hand, you do not have to finish every dish if you don't feel like it. The wines were great.

The main attraction however was to meet a quite random group of people who in our dinner all turned out to be fun and interesting. Somehow eating nice food in someone else's home with people I didn't know but with who I seemed to have common interests reminded me of expat life.

Date of visit: February 2012
saltshaker, Owner at Casa SaltShaker, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2012

We don't want people to go away hungry! It is pretty fascinating how quickly people from different walks of life find common interests to talk about - a big part of the fun of these evenings!

Reviewed 12 February 2012

I couldn't have started my visit to Buenos Aires any better than with a meal in Dan's home. The atmosphere was so enjoyable - relaxing lighting and music selection, likeable company, and timing of the courses. Each course with its paired wine was completely satisfying. I enjoyed the care that Dan took introducing to us the ingredients he used, and the preparation process for the various dishes. I loved having the chance to talk to the people collected around the table, and felt at home the entire time. I appreciate the way that Dan and Henry's food brings people together. I would recommend this to anyone who is up for a night of good conversation and new tastes.

Date of visit: February 2012

Happy to hear we were a great start to your visit to Buenos Aires. Hopefully the rest of the trip stayed on a high note!

Reviewed 12 February 2012

My first experience with Dan and Henry was last July. My husband and I loved the food and music selection for the evening. Any musician would adore how compatable each song, dish, and wine pairing were.

I recently brought my cousin to Dan's home and the experience was even better, Each course was elegantly prepared, and the wine pairings were impeccable. Again, the music selection was phenomenal. Dan did an impressive job highlighting the texture of each dish with equally textured songs.

The people were charming and we will definitely be going back!

Date of visit: February 2012

Thanks for the return visit and hopefully there will be more in the future. Looking forward to hopefully seeing you in Paraguay next month!

Reviewed 12 February 2012

We totally loved our experience at Casa Saltshaker from the start to the finish. Dan and Alan made us feel right at home from the minute we stepped through the door. Each one of the five courses was delicious, with generous servings and perfectly matched wines. It was such a wonderful night, sitting around a big square table with 8 other people who were strangers at the beginning but felt like friends by the end. A must do in Buenos Aires. Dan certainly lives up to the quote on his web page......'To invite someone to your house means devoting yourself to his happiness the whole time he is under your roof.'

1  Thank KazBuenosAires

Someone who actually reads my website! ;-)

Glad you enjoyed, and Allan will be happy to hear that his fill-in efforts while my partner was away were appreciated.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I wanted to try something other than Argentinian cuisine while in Buenos Aires. We came across Casa Saltshaker and I'm glad we did. We are always up for something new and interesting, both in atmosphere and in cuisine. We were not disappointed with either.
The party of guests was a great mix. Some locals, expats, Dutch and Americans. The conversation was never boring and quickly moved from small talk to lively discussions and a lot of laughs.
The food was very delicious and creative and the wine pairings were excellent. We all were anticipating each course and I didn't hear anybody say anything negative about the dishes. Tasting so many different courses is also a real treat.
Dan and Henry were very welcoming and attentive and definitely made us feel at home.
We had such a great time that when it came time to go, we joined another local couple we had just met that evening and enjoyed the rest of the night at a beautiful bar together that we never would have found on our own.
I would recommend Casa Saltshaker if you are up for a new experience and are craving something besides beef in Buenos Aires.

Date of visit: January 2012

Glad to hear you enjoyed and also that you paired up with some other guests to extend your evening out - that's a lot of the fun of these evenings and hearing about it after is a pleasure for us!