“You’re all missing the point”
Review of Vrije Burger

Vrije Burger
Ranked #147 of 274 Restaurants in Stellenbosch
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Yes, there is limited seating, no waiters, the food is pricey and the food is all takeaway. That’s the point. The entire concept is based on a takeaway, gourmet burger joint which is pretty clearly stated in any blurb/website mentioning this simple, but effective eatery. The burgers are delicious, some of the best I’ve ever had and the BBQ chips are amazing. I love the slightly sweetish taste combined with the salty, crispy fried potato goodness of the chip itself.

They do one thing and they do it well. If you’re not happy with free-range beef, homemade buns, locally-sourced ingredients and a free soft serve then go to Steers/Burger King, you clearly belong there.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Overrated and pricy. Good concept and good service, burgers were not what we were hoping for, far better burgers around at better prices.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Fun and quirky burger joint, the latest addition to chef Bartus Bassons growing empire. Visited late on a Tuesday night. The burgers were delicious! Worth the money, without doubt. We enjoyed ours with a nice bottle of red and chips. Overall the experience was great. I hear the opinions about it being uncomfortable seating, and expensive for a "take away"... but I would argue that is part of the charm (if not the intended experience). This is neither a take-away per se nor a restaurant. I'd say more of a "pull in" for something above-average tasty and a unique Stellenbosch experience.

Reviewed 27 February 2018

The best burgers in Stellenbosch. Quality meat, the best is the free ice cream cone at the end. Well Done the Bertus and the team

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

I dragged my partner to Bertus Basson's burger place last night. Hoping that once we got there she would thank me for convincing her to go......biggg mistake. We got there and noticed that it looked more like a take away joint than a restaurant.(maybe suppose to be; but the price does not match the idea) there was almost no seating, extremely uncomfortable bar chairs and no aircon inside. Staff were friendly. I ordered 2 beers, 2 cheese burgers and one portion of chips at a cost of R260. The craft beer from Prins Albert was great. Our food arrived in paper bag....felt weird drinking a beer and paying top dollar for take away.
The Burger patty looked exciting, coarsely ground good quality beef, but the taste did not match the look due to lack of seasoning. The worst part was the chips, it had a slight bitter taste, was soggy and the cheese sauce tasted very bland. I really can't give this take away joint more than 2 out of 5.