All reviews ostrich egg cango caves bed dorm bicycle tour ventilated rooms communal kitchen indoor pool kebab swartberg pass stayed here for two nights local attractions garden route trip other guests comfortable beds two night stay breakfast and dinner fantastic stay
Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Nice location, clean facilities & friendly staff. We had a great view of the sunset from the porch outside our room. Bonus = discounts on the Cango Caves, Highgate Ostrich Farm, etc. Only cons = no TV in the room and parking is tight in a bakkie when other guests park crooked.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2018

Wonderful cosy place, we stayed here for two nights as part of our garden route trip in a double room with bathroom, it has a cosy dining are and bar with a very friendly barmaid, and serve hot meals in the evening at a very nominal price, they even prepared vegan meals for my wife, and offered discount vouchers for various trips, only thing that was slightly off putting was we found a single bad bug on our last day, they took a prompt action, this is normally expected in back packer joints!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed there for two nights and it was really enjoyable. I was picked up and dropped off at the Baz Bus stop in George. The staff was friendly and the food provided was good. They have a dog and three cats which for some reason didn't like and therefore ignored me.
I had an eight-sleeper dorm all to myself which was pretty hot inside despite the fan. Regarding the bathrooms I can say I definitely saw worse. They are just your standard communal bathrooms.
During my stay I also did the shortest of the cycling tours offered by the hostel. So we were driven to the Cango Caves and Ostrich farm and then cycled from there back to the backpackers whilst stopping at the Cango Wildlife Ranch. The bikes we're in good condition and we were provided with a helmet and tyre repair kit.
I had a good time and can recommend this hostel to others.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

This is an excellent backpackers.

I visited during a self-drive along the Garden Route.

I booked into an eight-bed dorm, but times were quiet and there were only two/three of us in on each night. The dorm was clean and spacious with comfortable beds. A fan was available to blow air around the room. The hostel have their own lockers with keys.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Kitchen staff prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner for purchase from anyone who is interested. Food is incredibly tasty and great value for money. The bar area, including outside BBQ space and indoor pool room, is also welcome.

At the back of the property, there’s also a swimming pool that can be used to cool down. Secure car-parking is available.

Overall, this is a top quality hostel to use!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2018

Backpackers Paradise in Oudtshoorn is a true gem: it's super relaxed with a nice swimming pool, service and friendliness are over the top and you can even breakfast an ostrich egg omelette! Would go back any time!

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel