“Amazing Gem in Knysna ”

Price range: US$3 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: In the Heart of Knysna, enjoy French Cuisine by French Chefs in a cosy, relaxed but intimate place. Only 30 seats, so booking is essential NB : Our liquor licence is in process, so please bring your own wines
Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

My husband and I visited this little spot for dinner on a quiet Tuesday evening in Knysna and were completely blown away. The owners Cathy and Remy were both there to greet is at the door and take us to our table. Cathy came and in her very French accent explained the menu to us. We ordered the mussels as a starter and it was incredible. Presentation and flavor over delivered, and portion good enough for us to share. For our mains I had the fillet steak which was cooked to perfection, served with a delicious pepper sauce, green beans, potato and carrots. It was superb. My husband had the duck confit which was incredible. Tender duck with beautifully crispy skin. The amouse bouche was also a real treat. Still not sure what it was though. No liquor license yet called us to bring our own wine. We befriended every single table in the restaurant, most from Norway, and all had a great evening. I cannot wait to return to this amazing spot. Loved everything about it.

1  Thank Lindy T

Reviewed 25 June 2017

Had the pleasure of eating here twice in one week and we enjoy each occasion immensely. The hosts are really in this because of their passion for food, Remy flies just about solo in the kitchen. Cathy has the front of office (restaurant) all under control and with a menu that does not confuse you with choice, just perfect.

This restaurant is worth a visit if you in Knysna, will not disappoint, unfortunately you can't eat everything on the menu in one sitting.

Well done, enjoy your holiday in France guys!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

It was a wonderful evening, our hosts were gracious and welcoming , the service and food - (flavors and presentation) were of the highest standard. Definite repeat!

Reviewed 17 June 2017

My wife and I ate our way through 8+ restuarants over 5 days during our honeymoon in Knysna - and NONE of them even vaguely compare to the beautiful experience that we enjoyed at Le Maquis with Remi and Cathy. We cannot recommend them more highly! The food is excellent, the charming service is beyond anything we've encountered and the atmosphere instantly transported us to a small village in France.

1  Thank gibsoncraigsa
Reviewed 16 June 2017

We came here in november 2016. This was at the previous location which I really really loved! It looked like a beach house with a magnificent view. So I'm a little bit dissapointed to hear it's nog longer located there.
The food was so lovely, it was the best we ate at our 3 week trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town.
We came without reservation, but Lucky for us there was still a table for 2 left.
I had the mussels and my partner had the coquilles as a starter, just very delicious.
I had the steak and my partner had the lamb, also flawless.
As dessert I had the tarte tartin and my partner the cheesecake. These portions were large! I really loved the cheesecake!
Cathy and Rémy were also very nice. It's so lovely when the chef comes asking if everything was alright.
Next year we're coming back and we will be coming back to this restaurant. (Previously it was called 'die gieter'.

remycathy, Owner at Le MAQUIS, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2017

Thanks so much for your review,
we look forward to host you on your next trip in Knysna.
Unfortunatly our previous premices on Phantom Pass had burnt to the ground durint the terrible fires that ragged in knysna 10 days ago. but i am sure you will love our new premices too.
see you soon