All reviewsmashie golfgolf coursechocolate trufflescomplimentary sherrybuffels baygarden routelittle extrasbeautiful settingpeace and tranquilityelectric blanketssmall kitchena lovely staygreat attention to detailbath and showerspecial thankslovely placestayed longer
Reviewed 18 July 2018

We had travelled to South Africa in April-May 2018. We stayed in Blackwaters river lodge during from 30th April to 3rd May 2018. The reosrt is maintained beautifully. The resort was subjected to huge bush fire in the month of Jan / Feb 2018 due to which almost half of their property was destroyed. But, they refurbished their property completely in a very short span of time inorder to welcome their guests.
The rooms are very well made up with various options to choose from depending upon your family size. The staff was very co-operative and helpful.
We are specially thankful to Zandrea who used to arrange all the food requirements for us. They also arranged for Barbeque dinner on our request.

Stayed: April 2018
Reviewed 17 July 2018

We unexpectedly blessed to get the opportunity to combine a house-move with a working holiday during the Oyster Festival.

I must admit, I have never thought about of the location of the lodge, not that it did not appeal to me, just that I really didn't appreciate how much is available. It's easy to find off the N2, and once you are there, you really have no desire to leave!!

My 3 children, as they were on school holidays, thought they were in heaven, and spent copious amounts of the time (due to FOUL weather) happily sitting in the lounge area connected to Wifi.

The staff were always friendly, happy to help, nothing was too much trouble. I loved the cold breakfasts (which is included in your room rate) , which after my usual helping of tea for breakfast, was a FEAST. You also have a choice of a hot breakfast menu which I considered to be very good value for money.

The room was beautifully decorated, equipped with a heater, electric blankets, lots of space to put things down, a tiny coffee station area and a fabulous bathroom. We received daily personalised weather forecasts, nightly sherry and choccies, and were just spoilt rotten.

The river is beautiful, the water crystal clear (even though the tannin from the forest makes it look black) and the canoe and mashie golf were added adventures..... and oh my soul, the cry of the fish eagle made my heart sing...... such a beautiful spot, I loved every minute we were there. Lots of birds to see, the little sugarbirds are such cheerful little things, and the ducks, herons, geese, guinea fowl and lots more make for great entertainment.

Lots to see and do, and all in all a wonderful destination from which to explore the Garden Route in any direction.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are close to the reception area, the gardens and the restaurant, while the other rooms are seperate.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2018

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights during the Knysna Oyster Festival. The location of the guest house is perfect if you want to be close to town, but still want a forest experience, peace and tranquility. Its been one year after the fires destroyed part of the beautiful property and the owners, Paul and Elmay are doing an amazing job rebuilding. We stayed in a Luxury Room in the main house which was spacious, comfortable and luxurious. Personal touches make you feel at home, like personalised notes, homemade crunchies, nightcaps and chocolates. In the morning we spent an hour kayaking on the goukamma river - how beautiful and enjoyable. We booked massages in our room which just contributed to a relaxing weekend we desired. Thank you to all the staff which were super friendly, welcoming and helpful. Special thanks to Gerald who looked after us every day to ensure we had everything we needed. I can definitely recommend Blackwaters River Lodge with confidence. I cannot wait to return and see/experience the newly built rooms.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2018

I went for lunch and the mashie golf and ended up staying the night....the food was awesome - really great - with warm, fast servicer and super friendly staff. I can highly recommend this venue - it has been rebuilt beautifully after the fires in 2017

Stayed: June 2018
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Was VERY easy to find while driving on N2 and really JUST off the N2. We were very pleasantly surprised with the hotel and rooms. We had luxury room - VERY big and well decorated with lots of little extras and personal touches. Stunning views over the river and the hills.

Free golf, canoe and volleyball to in house guests so very nice for families with small or teen aged kids to keep themselves busy so parents can have a rest also. Stunning living room with fireplace for visiting with other guests so one does not have to just sit in room all the time in evening. Nice pool also for summer time.

Wifi very fast and works well. Everything working and well maintained. Lovely balcony to relax with glass of complimentary sherry for sundowners.....stunning!
Bathroom is huge with bath and shower - old style but it still works for me and still looked very neat but some bathrooms in other rooms been redone already.

My daughter LOVED the walk in closet - first time she ever saw one of these and wants to know now why we dont have one at home....

A part of hotel burned down in last years fire so being rebuild - and building more rooms to expand. All luxury rooms with stunning rooms.

Breakfast was lovely and lots to chose from. Stunning restaurant also. The staff was REALLY friendly and helpful - one of the hotels biggest selling points - you can see staff treated well as they are happy staff.

Only complaint for this hotel is that I should have stayed one week and not one night!!! LOL

Room Tip: Luxury rooms is worth the extra money, but standard rooms also nice option for families.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family