“Very personable place”
Review of The Olive Tree

The Olive Tree
Ranked #5 of 172 Restaurants in Knysna
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Olive Tree Restaurant Trading hours; Dinners only, Monday to Saturdays in Season> from 6.30pm till kitchen close at 9pm.
Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

We were actually looking for a different restaurant and got lost so we came here, our second choice. The food was fantastic. You order off of a chalkboard and the menu changes.
If you go, don't forgo the spring rolls. They are so good. The table side salad was terrific and my steak was the best of this trip.
The staff was very attentive without being intrusive. The owner is a very nice woman who truly cares about your experience. You will be shocked at how reasonable this place is. Truly a find.

1  Thank 302jeannet
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I am normally a guy that likes to try a different restaurant every time i go out but in the four days i spent in Knysna I visited twice. Its a popular place so remember to make a reservation! We visited in mid september when it was cold and was glad to see that this is a nice indoor place where you will not be cold. Its warm and relaxing. The staff is passionate about what they do and they in details through all the specials they had on the menu showing that they are proud of what they do. They made suggestions to our kids on what would be best for them which we appreciated. The staff is very friendly and the service is perfect. You will feel comfortable for sure. I have tried the Bobotie springrolls for a starter and will recommend it. Its really good. I have tried both the fillet and the beef salat as the main cause. The fillet comes in either a 200 gram or 250 gram and i tried the 200 gram and finished it completely and felt really good after doing it. The meat and cooking is good and the sides and sauces are nice and i would suggest it for anybody that likes a good steak. The beef salat - i was expecting something lite but was impressed by a large amount of very nice meat on top of a small salat and was impressed of the meat quality. This is actually a mans portion :-). I also tried the cheesecake which was nice. I tried the blend wine twice which they serve by the glass and it was good. The place is placed on the main street and parking is most commonly available outside. Its a really good place and i would for sure recommend it for anybody looking for a good meal in Knysna.

1  Thank Jacob H
Reviewed 14 September 2017

The menu is short but balanced for whichever tastes you prefer. Food was delicious in generous portions. Staff is amazing. They buy their ingredients locally and it does make the difference. The environment was both romantic and comfortable like a home. Reservations are recommended.

2  Thank VComper
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Nice restaurant on the main drag through town. Well worth getting to. On street parking and not a large restaurant so booking is recommended. Nice range of food from pizza to steak.

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I have been here a couple of times and if you look at my previous review........great place. Last week we took 5 family members for dinner with mixed fortunes.

We had great starters and the beef tartare was Devine. I ordered a big Salad as main after Tartare. It was a little wilted PLUS full of Sand!!!. Offer to replace the salad I declined because I was now a bit cheesed off. I do not like waiting for a failed meal replacement whilst the show goes on and declined such offer.

From a lot of owner/manager attention, we were suddenly sort of ignored. Asked for the bill and paid and arrogantly enough got charged for the salad. It is not about the R60 or R70 rands but the mere treatment.

Luckily Knysna has such a lot to offer, that we will not be deprived of good food