All reviewsgolf coursewine tastingtapaspremier roomcape townsauvignon blancround of golfshuttle servicegolf clubbeautiful hotelhotel guestsfirst classpure luxurywent the extra mileturn down servicebeautiful surroundingsbreakfast and dinner
Reviewed 10 February 2018

This hotel has much going for it. Stunning secure location, professional and helpful staff, beautifully kept gardens. However they have one big problem and that concerns the flies. Go into breakfast and approach the buffet table and the flies are soon obvious. Quite a lot of them and they are walking over the cold cooked meats, the plate of cheese, the smoked salmon, the bread and rolls. The hotel know about them because on the buffet table are little pots with burning wicks giving off citronella type fumes. The flies though don't take any notice and continue crawling all over the food that you could soon be putting in your mouth - ugh! This worried me a lot because I thought if they don't care enough about hygiene, where you the visitor can see it, what's it like in the kitchen where you can't see it? There is no need for this. Before coming here we had stayed at another nearby luxury hotel and all their meats, cheeses and bread products on the breakfast buffet were in containers with lift-up lids. Not a fly to be seen on their food.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Catherine S, Hotel and Spa Manager at Steenberg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2018

Dear Monty 341

Thank you for your lovely feedback in regards to the team, location and your appreciation for our beautiful gardens. I will most certainly share this with all involved. In regards to your unpleasant encounter with the flies at Catharina's . I have shared your feedback with my colleague Archie Mclean who is responsible for managing Catharina's . I felt is was best that he responded , please see below.

Dear Monty341

My name is Archie and I am the executive chef and restaurant manager at Catharina’s restaurant.

Thank you for your feedback from your breakfast experience at the restaurant.

I would like to convey my utmost apologies for the flies which you were confronted with on the buffet. As you mentioned we use citronella candles on the buffet to keep the flies at bay. This method has proved very positive for us during summer. However, we are situated on a wine farm and during the hottest days in summer files do come into the building. We have the doors open as people like to sit outside.

We have now tried to mitigate this by keeping all the doors closed and turning up the air conditioning which has proved again to be a very positive step as no flies have been seen indoors. As an extra precautionary step I have also ordered some fly fans to be placed on the buffet during summer.

We have a full contract with Ecolab and I can assure you that there are no pests in the back of house. We have a full cleaning schedule for the front and back of house which is rigorously followed daily.

Should you wish to discuss any of these points or anything else from your stay please feel free to contact me on

Archie.maclean@catharinasrestaurant.co.za

Again, thank you for your feedback. I truly believe that without feedback from our guests we cannot grow as a business.

Kind regards

Archie

Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights. It is a very charming property, beautiful grounds. We found the food in Catharina’s very varied and fresh for breakfast but the evening meal fine dining menu was a little too fussy for us.
Our accommodation was fabulous and pool area wonderful. The hotel wouldnt allow us to extend our stay even though they didn’t seem to have anyone checking in as we received mixed messages from reception. The spa was pretty average. It was a lovely spot and we would return.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2018

This has an amazin* depth of general entertainment in most areas of dining
Loved the place and it’s amazing location
You must visit this on your travels not to be missed,staff do turn over but their training is good so give it a try

Stayed: May 2017
Reviewed 30 January 2018

We have visited steenberg on several occasions and decided to stay three nights. The staff could not do enough for you and were very friendly and also knowledgeable.
The room was well furnished and decorated, overlooking the courtyard - a lovely view to start the day.
When you add the winery, two excellent restaurants, the golf course and the location, you have a perfect venue.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2018

We really enjoyed our stay at the Steenberg Hotel. The hotel is located within the beautiful Steenberg vineyard, a stunning backdrop for this small, boutique hotel. Our room was spacious, with a large modern bathroom, and included a private garden. The service was attentive and friendly. Breakfast was included in the rate; some mornings we enjoyed it with room service on our beautiful private back garden and some mornings we enjoyed it in the gardens of the restaurant. The breakfast was delicious and included varied fresh fruit, a generous buffet or well prepared hot entrees.
The Steenberg Hotel would have been rated 5 stars ... except it was WAY over-priced!! The charge of 10,000 rand (~$775) per night was at least 2x too high! The room was lovely, the service was attentive and the plentiful breakfast was delicious ... but $775/night for this hotel in this location was way way overpriced (even at Christmas time.)
We would strongly recommend to the Steenberg to adjust their pricing to a more realistic level and we would be happy to return!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple