“A Hidden Gem!”
Review of The Stack

The Stack
Ranked #121 of 1,193 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Description: Frequented by people that you would want to know, the stately Leinster Hall has been brilliantly reimagined and repurposed as The Stack: With an opulent public bar and brasserie downstairs and a unique private members' club upstairs, it's the perfect place to get your swagger on. The fledgling idea of hotelier Nigel Pace and his designer wife, Sarah Ord, this one of a kind establishment is about to make the Kloof Street hood even cooler, if that is even vaguely imaginable. Between them, they have over 25 years of experience making people feel at home so you'd be foolish not to get in on the ground floor, so to speak.
Reviewed 16 March 2017

So imagine my surprise to discover a delightful spot which is hidden in Gardens, with the most charming decor and the friendliest staff!

The design and decor is so warm and inviting, you can't help but feel at home. I had the Beef Bourguignon, and just loved how well prepared the dish was, the presentation and the taste and texture.

The wine list was impressive, with some really impressive whites, and warm, full bodied reds. The Graham Beck champaigne was the winner of the day though!(The Le Clicquot I find too citrussy!)

I finished off with Rum Baba desert, (but I sampled some of my partner's creme brulee;-) )
and took my time to savour the delightful treat.

I cannot wait to return to this hidden gem...

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

The restaurant was full of dinners however I cannot believe people would go back a second time.
Really awful food.
The French onion soup was literally grated onion in a flavourless brown water.
The chef that prepared this has absolutely no clue how to prepare a French onion soup and to palm this menu of as French bistro is insulting.
The Sirloin steak was dry and tasteless, not prepared correctly blood serving onto the plate.
Chips with the skin still on.
Two portions of fish were sent back, it was returned but unfortunately to late, the raw fish had left a terrible taste in our mouthes.
We were not charged for the fish meals which we greatly appreciated but even so the meals were what can only be described as immature and unprofessional.
I looked over at the lamb the gentleman on the table next to me ordered, it was full of fat, his wife looked over to me and mouthed how awful it was to swallow.
It is such a pity because the restaurant has a beautiful setting.
I truly and honestly believe if people know anything about food they will not return to this restaurant.
One does not mind paying if the food is delicious and memorable.
From the minute they brought out the Rose cocktail with the over powering smell of cheap smoke which lingered in our clothes and hair we knew this was a menu prepared by wannabe chefs with absolutely no clue about real fine dining.
If the owners were tasting the menu they would know better.
It simply isn't good enough to call something French onion soup and charge R80 when a knor packet soup would have been more delicious.

TheStackOwner, Owner at The Stack, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2017

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and apologies for taking so long to respond to it.

I suspect I have just responded to another similar review which seems to have been written by one of your fellow diners. The calibre of food served to you on the night is completely unacceptable but I am confident that the drastic changes we have made over the past two weeks are beginning to pay off.

I am so sorry that you were on the receiving end of this substandard offering and I do trust you will give us another opportunity to prove ourselves sometime in the future.

Kind regards

Nigel

Reviewed 15 March 2017

We went there for dinner and we spend a great time. The food was cooked to perfection, as expected. The tastes of each single course: excellent! But the dessert: brilliant! We ordered a kind of beetroot sorbet and got told it is the dessert of the day. To be honest, we did not know what the taste would like be. However, as mentioned before it was excellent. Later the host showed up and she asked us on our opinion for the dessert since we were the first guests ordered it. What a great attention to your customer! Excellent! But also all the other staff was very friendly, helpful and keen! The ambiance: cool, stylish, a great place to go! When we left the restaurant we had a look into the bar and got a friendly explanation on the house and the interior. Also the host said good bye with a handshake. Very attentive! We have to recommend the visit of this place for sure!

2  Thank Martin L
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Our booking came as a bit of a surprise as it was recommended and booked for us by our guest house and we were fortunate to benefit from a last minute cancellation. I'll admit we hadn't heard of it before we arrived but as it was close by we were happy to pop down and check it out. We weren't to be disappointed it was very cool. We had a cocktail on the balcony and my wife spent most of the time taking photos of the fabulous new interiors. The food was great, nothing too fancy but all very well done. The service too was also brilliant especially the main front of house who looked after us very well, even booking an Uber to take us back to our guest house just up the road.
All in all a very special evening, thank you.

Reviewed 6 March 2017

A beautiful refurbishment of an elegant building and garden too to add the charm. The food was excellent. Not too much choice but varied enough for most tastes. I don't usually rave about a salad I've eaten out but this one for starter was very very good. My creme brûlée too was one of the best I've ever eaten. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the hardest to get right and they did! Thank you.