All reviews long street night life table mountain noisy at night light sleeper early hours corner room room was spotless special thanks amazing hotel cooked breakfast great room plugs
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Location is a blessing and a curse. If you are a light sleeper be forewarned the clubs across Long Street do indeed thump until 3 am and there is street traffic noise. The provided ear plugs help, but can't stop the bass. However, the location is very good for exploring Cape Town on foot so you have to take the good with the not so good. Long Street is a bit gritty and there are panhandlers about, but they're not aggressive. The hotel itself is a little tired, but we found it perfectly serviceable for a four-night stay. We loved the tub location, but due to the severe drought were unable to enjoy it :-(

Room Tip: Try for the highest floors to at least reduce the noise.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

Got there early and the day deskclerk was super nice and helpful with brochures. That soon changed when we came back few hours later and got the night time clerk.

We got in the room and immediately noticed it wasn't vacuumed. The room was clearly rushed. The bed was made but very untidy and the sheets had hair in between them. There wasn't any soap in the washroom or face cloths cause apparently they don't use wash cloths. They also took the plug to the tub due to a water shortage in Cape Town, so that is understandable but disappointing because the tub was so deep and large. There was also gum in the balcony door tracks. We found the floor super hard as it was low pile carpet so we wore our flip flops. The bed/pillows were decent for a shorter stay. It had an mini fridge and coffee maker. There was only 2 outlets in the room and the bathroom one didn't work. When we called down minutes after checking in to ask for soap and new sheets we didn't get the warm welcome we got before. From this point onward we could feel tension from the staff. It was as if they were all told to be short with us. When our new sheets came they were the wrong size. Had to call again and the next ones had holes in it. We also requested not to have our room cleaned while there. I mean, if there's a water shortage why are you changing my sheets and towels daily?They didn't like but I was a room attendant before and I don't find it necessary to waste resources and time like that and I'm clean. We even cleaned the room up before we left. I would have left a tip when checking out but we weren't treated proper in my opinion. Maybe because we didn't tip daily they felt it wasn't necessary to accommodate us... or even be friendly for that matter. The night desk clerk didn't say hi or even look in our direction. She didn't advise us on the parking situation, which left us standing outside the closed garage in the cold surrounded by beggars for 5 minutes. She was cold and kind of rude. There was one female server however and she was fantastic. We tipped her gladly, and one not so friendly male server. Breakfast was great though. Good selection, very filling, and complimentary. Free parking but it's a pain as the garage door closes at night and homeless people are incharge of opening it. If you don't tip them you end up waiting. The view of table mountain from our room was amazing. The doors to the balcony opened up, was nice. The view of Long St however was disgusting. Homeless everywhere by the handfuls. Fights broke out everywhere after the bars closed. We read reviews of it being loud and we didn't find it to be that bad but the homeless begged you endlessly from the second you leave the hotel steps and back was a bit overwhelming. The hotel locks its doors nightly.
Overall it was ok. Good for short stays, just don't ask for anything from staff or they will all team up and shun you collectively.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Good day
I must say I am shocked to read your review and especially the fact that you felt the staff shunned you or were asked to be unkind or not service your room properly. I can assure you that this is not how we work and had you brought this to my attention immediately I would have sorted you out post haste.
It seems we dropped the ball on housekeeping too - we have been having issues with our linen supplier and as a result as of 1st November we have cancelled our agreement with them and have purchase brand new linen and are using the services of a new laundry. So I must apologise if your linen was substandard.
There are 2 plug sockets in the room and 1 in the bathroom which can only be used for electric razors - the voltage is too low for other appliances.
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and that the noise was not a bother for you!
Please note that we do not change the linen and laundry daily - we have a notice in the bathrooms explaining our linen and laundry policy. They would only have entered your room for daily housekeeping to replenish the coffee and tea supplies, tidy up a bit and replace the free amenities if needed.
I would welcome further discussion on the issues you have raised, so if you are willing, please contact me directly. We welcome constructive criticism.
Regards,
Siranne van Onselen: General Manager

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel would be ok as a slightly tired 3 star hotel except for the bars and clubs opposite, which play loud music until 3 in the morning! Earplugs are essential, and even with good ones the noise is still an issue. On the plus the rooms are big and clean. The cooked breakfast is ok and the staff were helpful. Location is good to experience downtown Cape Town, it is a short Uber ride to the Waterfront.

I would not recommend this if you are a light sleeper. I normally sleep well but even I found the noise to be a problem. It happens on weekdays as well as the weekends - relentless pounding sound.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2017

Good day

Thank you for your review.

We do market ourselves as being in the party street of Cape Town surrounded by night clubs and bars and even offer earplugs to our guests and this is stated in several places on our own website and our listings with our suppliers.
The loud music, cars and ambient noise is a part of the vibe that is Long street and there is not much we can do to alter that hence our very honest marketing strategy.

Regards,
Siranne van Onselen: General Manager

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights with a colleague. Awesome clean rooms and best breakfast selection. Tv could do with extra channels and the Wifi trips at times,however despite that nd the load music from the bars in the street, it was a pretty good stay. The ear plugs do help a lot.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2017

The room was great, the staff were awesome, super friendly.

Only issue I had was that there is no sound proofing, so the music and the parties that happen elsewhere REALLY intrude into the room. At 3AM this eventually died down ...

Really good value for money, but dont forget to take your sleeping tablets with.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business