All reviewslong streetnight lifetable mountainnoisy at nightlight sleeperearly hourscorner roomroom was spotlessspecial thanksamazing hotelcooked breakfastgreat roomplugs
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel from Jan 3-7 2013. It's located in a historical and totally fun part of Cape Town. The staff were so warm and accommodating and the rooms were spacious, stylish and clean. The noise at night is loud (it seems the most popular nightclub is directly across the street), but somehow our entire family haven't slept better!! Our rooms also had a lovely view of Table Mountain. Staying at this hotel gives you a real Cape Town city life experience and we would do it again.

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a view
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sophia223
Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

Had an absolutely awesome stay in the heart of the city and nightlife.

Staff very knowledgable, and friendly! Highly recommend this place for an upmarket stay in an amazing location.

Rooms very spacious with great amenities and cleanliness!

Awesome breakfast, found out a new manager has taken over breakfasts! The new full English breakfast and salmon scrambled eggs are amazing!

This hotel does have a sushi restaurant and bar, which do room service!

If your a light sleeper this is not the place for you, nightclubs are nearby this hotel!

If you are looking for central hotel close to everything and like the buzz of the city, then you have soooo come to the right place!!!

Think Bourbon Street, New Orleans when you compare this hotel with any others!

Amazing amazing amazing!!

See you guys again soon xo

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked this hotel for 6 nights in December to run over the Christmas period. We liked the idea of being close to bars and restaurants as this was a festive time of year however we were completely unprepared for just how noisy this section of Long Street is. The bars & clubs really do thump out loud music until 5.00am and combined with the people noise (shouting, singing, laughing), police sirens and constant horns it does make sleeping virtually impossible. This is fine if you are staying for just a couple of nights and want to join in the action, but we would strongly advise against booking longer than this unless you really are a heavy sleeper and/or are not bothered by noise. We appealed to the manager to let us move out early but she was completely unsympathetic (in fact rude) and told us we should have done our research better. We asked if we could have a partial refund and at this suggestion she simply smirked. We have since reviewed many similar comments on Tripadvisor and seen that other guests have been treated in a similar way. Plus we know the hotel was not full so it's not as though they had turned people away. Basically this hotel mis-sells itself on the website…. It pretends to be a classy, sophisticated, refined luxury hotel appealing to tourists & business travellers alike (I pity any business traveller trying to attend a serious meeting after 2 hours sleep). It admits the area is lively (in fact prides itself on its location) but says it 'instils a sense of calm' on entering the hotel. It fails to mention that there is not a single quiet room in the whole place as all rooms have windows close to Long Street. There are also other issues as already mentioned by other guests…. refuse smells in the lobby areas and everywhere there are wall fresheners pumping out sickly cheap smells in an attempt to (unsuccessfully) cover up the refuse smell. We were told the smell was because of rubbish collection being delayed due to Christmas, but on the 5th floor? Also, the WiFi was poor. I had to often stand in the corridor of our room to pick up the signal, not ideal if you want to relax. There were items missing from the room (e.g. a laundry bag) & the laundry service was not good. The breakfasts were pretty awful (also mentioned by other guests) and, apart from being slow, actually made us feel ill. The view of Table Mountain was fine looking up, but looking down we saw the top of ugly buildings (and seriously, everywhere you go in Cape-Town you can get a great view of the mountain or the sea). The Long Street area, whilst fun, is 'edgy' with lots of beggars/drunks/druggies and people need to be aware of that (we did not always feel safe). The bar lounge is smokey & the cafe is cheap & tatty. This could be a half decent hotel if the management would be more honest on their website and seriously consider putting secondary double glazing in at least some of the rooms (the thickened glazing mentioned dulls but does NOT block the noise), and were actually interested in their guests being 'happy & satisfied customers' rather than having to constantly defend themselves on Tripadvisor. They are much more interested in your money than in your customer experience and, in our opinion, there are many MUCH nicer places to stay in Cape-Town for the same price or less where you will get vastly better quality. Rather get a sea view in a quiet area (literally a 5-10 minute cheap taxi ride away) and visit Long Street for the evening only, you will seriously not regret this decision.  We ended up cutting our losses and doing just does this, we spent 2 of our 6 nights in other Cape-Town hotels (at double expense since Urban Chic would give us no refund) and the difference was incomparable.

2  Thank Annabelle A
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Dear Ma'am

Thank you for your feedback.

With regards to your observations on the noise, I would just like to point out that we pride ourselves on our location and in fact it is our main selling point. Our website uses phrases such as "pulse of the city", "bustling melting pot that is Long street", "vibrant nightlife", “surrounded by Nightclubs and Bars”, and more. We have been likened to New Orleans' Bourbon street and downtown New York City - a fact we are very proud of. Bear in mind that it is also season time, so Long street is busier than its normal busy and so a little more noise than normal is to expected.

In saying this, we cannot be held responsible for guests not researching the area properly before booking. Our floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors have thickened glazing and black out curtains which do well to drown out most of the noise. Guests that want peace and tranquility should instead book accommodation in the countryside.

Please note that we were in fact fully booked at the time of your reservation, and out of all of our guests, you were the only guests that complained even though you were on one of the higher floors. I had guests staying 3 floors below you who had an awesome stay and have indicated that they will be back.

I agree with you that if you are a light sleeper that our hotel is not the place you should be booking, nor is ANY other hotel in the CBD. Guests come to us for the experience - it is why I appreciate sites such as TripAdvisor which allow guests to research the area and the hotel they have booked thoroughly based on other guest experiences.

Just before receiving your review we received another from a guest who scored us 5 out of 5 and didn't mind the noise - that's because they knew what they were booking when they booked it.

I apologise if your husband took offence while talking to me and if he thinks I smirked. I was exasperated as he told me that you had researched the area thoroughly on TripAdvisor and our website before booking. When I pointed out that TripAdvisor and our website do nothing to hide the fact that we are in a busy, noisy street, and I opened both in front of him to show him this, he suddenly changed his story and said he hadn't done the research and how should he know what Long street is like when he is from the UK??

As far as the rest of your complaints are concerned, I am not going to comment as I feel you are nitpicking because you are trying to paint the hotel in the worst possible light because you are upset that you did not get a refund. The majority of the reviews here on TripAdvisor speak for themselves.

I wish you a good day.

Regards,

Siranne van Onselen

Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at The Urban Chic Hotel for 4 nights over New Years and had a fantastic time! The staff are wonderful. They are all friendly, helpful and caring.
The location is very convenient and perfect if you want a fun vibe with plenty of night life really close. While there is a bit of noise from the street, it was part of the experience of staying in Long Street.
The rooms are all clean with amazing views of Table Mountain!

The day of checking out I became very sick and the hotel very kindly gave us a room free of charge so that I could sleep for a few hours and recover. The concern and kindness of the staff helped make a horrible experience much easier.

We will definitely be back next time we are in Cape Town!

Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

My partner and I booked for 9 nights. We travel often and this was the worst hotel experience. There is no chance of getting a good quiet nights sleep. The hotel is on long st surrounded by bars and night clubs. Noise is not mentioned anywhere on the website, however, they give you earplugs upon checkin.

We checked in on a Monday and didn't sleep at all the first night. We asked to check out early since the whole point of a hotel is to be able to sleep. The immediate response was no refunds. So we would have lost 8 nights worth of money. We were moved to the 6th floor and the noise was slightly less however not quiet enough for the rest of the stay.

One morning I also found hair in my ommlette!
Housekeeping was the most friendly however didn't replace towels or toiletries regularly.
The pros of the hotel are free parking, free wifi (weak signal), free breakfast (only 1 tea or coffee incl. And coffee was never a full cup), good location especially if you have a car, but these have to be free to get any guests.

We encountered other guests in the elevator that were just as miserable if not more so.

I WOULD NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN, WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT AND WILL LOOK INTO "NO REFUND" with SA tourism. Very dissappointing experience.

3  Thank Haitchy66
UrbanChicBoutique, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Ma’am

Firstly, I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas and I hope that you will have a Happy New Year!

On the subject of towels not being replaced daily, we have an environmental laundry policy in place which is detailed in the room folder and on a notice in the bathroom which explains the need for guests to let us know if they would like the linen and towels changed daily. This policy is geared towards water and energy conservation.

On the subject of finding a hair in your omelette, I must apologise. I have taken this up with the owners of the restaurant who take that sort of thing very seriously and will investigate and put further measures in place to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
I wish you a good day.