“great stay”

Urban Chic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #90 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 31 October 2011

enjoyed the hotel and the area. very helpful for all the sites and activities we did. super nice rooms and a wonderful view of table mountain from our room. I was leary of the noise, but SLEPT LIKE A BABY BOTH NIGHTS. would not hesitate to return again. special thanks to the manager for helping out with a travel situation we encountered. THANKS.

Room Tip: "table mountain view if possible"
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Siranne, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear "Topchico"

Greetings from the Urban Chic Boutique Hotel!

We are so happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we were only too happy to help you out with the travel problem that you encountered :-) . We do understand that these things happen and I am very glad that we were able to offer you the additional night that you required.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this positive review!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2011

I've been staying here while attending the E-Tourism Frontiers Africa conference and mostly very much enjoyed my stay. It's got a great location, on the corner of Long and Pepper streets, with excellent views, especially from the glass-cornered corner rooms (I'm in 302, and I'd guess the #2 on each floor of four rooms is the corner) giving you 270 degree views with Table Mountain rearing up behind Long Street.

On the good side, the staff are extremely helpful and efficient, the rooms are well sized, beds comfortable and the decor fairly minimalist and what you'd expect from "Urban Chic". Free wifi works fine.

On the downside, they have water issues here that they need to sort out. Hot water takes a *long* time to get hot - a full five minutes, at least, if at all – and 3 out of my 4 showers have been taken cold or luke warm at best. And, annoyingly they change your towel every day. In a water-challenged environment, that's unacceptable. I've asked them to stop doing it. Fingers crossed!

All the electricity went out on the fifth floor this morning, really inconveniencing colleagues. Since South African plug sockets are unusual, it would be helpful to have at least continental convertors in every room.

And the hotel is rather noisy at night, as Long Street is a lively nightlife area - Long Street Backpackers is right opposite. They'll supply earplugs if you need them, though personally I like the atmosphere (admittedly the din that errupted at 4am last night was a bit too much and I think woke everyone staying here).

Overall, I think they've done a good job (believe the place is a year or two old), but somewhat on the cheap. My ratings are lower than they would be because of the water and electricity problems. Attention to some basic services would make it excellent.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Siranne, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2011

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your review!

We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back to The Urban Chic Hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your points in the review.

Firstly, please accept my sincerest apology on the hot water issue, I really wish that this had been brought to my attention whilst you were staying with us so that I could rectify the problem immediately. As it turns out, I was notified by another guest after you checked out and on investigation we found that one of the geysers had burst and another had blown 1 of it's 3 elements resulting in very poor water pressure and the water taking very long to heat up. We had this problem fixed in no time and the hot water is again as it should be.

It is very unfortunate that the power went out on the 5th floor on one of the mornings. I can only assume that something tripped the power in 1 of the rooms. This was fixed in less than an hour.

Please be assured that neither of these incidents are regular occurences and in our 6 years of operation, we have never had issues like these at our establishment. I'm sure you can understand that it was very much a situation that was out of our hands at the time. We did however fix both problems in a very short amount of time, and it is a pity that your stay was inconvenienced by both of these occurences happening during your stay.

Since receiving your review, we have taken your advice on the towels being replaced daily and have placed notices in the rooms requesting that guests notify us should they need their towels replaced; we will no longer be doing it on a daily basis of our own accord.

We would like to thank you sincerely for your constructive review.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night. We only moved out because it is in the party street of Cape Town. The rooms are beautiful, breakfast is delicious and the staff are really helpful. They actually helped us to find another hotel!
Thank you, guys.

Room Tip: rooms are not very noisy during the week days
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The hotel management fraudulently debited our credit card for additional nights that we didn't stay there. We are visitors from Australia and a wonderful holiday in beautiful Cape Twon was spoilt by this horrible experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank FPage_01
Siranne, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Page

I am extremely disturbed by your account of the events as they unfolded as they are certainly not a true indication of what happened.

You originally booked 2 rooms with us from the 05/01/2011 until 11/01/2011 and authorised us to charge a 50% deposit for the reservation to your credit card (which we did) but then postponed the reservation to July instead of cancelling so as not to incur a cancellation fee.

A few weeks before you arrived for your July reservation, you e-mailed us to say that you needed to cancel 1 room as your son was unable to travel with you. We still did not charge you a cancellation fee but had already received payment of 50% from you for the original booking (which you authorised us to charge) and so accepted this at face value.

You stayed with us for 2 nights after which you decided that you wanted to check out early. At this point we had already waived 2 cancellation charges since January and as is our policy told you that we would be unable to refund you the payment for the full stay as per our 100% cancellation charges.

You and your wife then threatened to take legal action against us (to date I have still not received communications from your legal representatives). I told you that you were fully within your rights to do so and that the correspondence between our hotel and yourself over the months clearly stated what our cancellation policy was.

We are only glad that TripAdvisor makes provision for establishments to reply to reviews so that we may tell our side of the story.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

The purpose of this hotel is to make money out of people who need to find alternative accommodation because it is impossible to sleep!

Lastminute.com do not say anywhere that once at the hotel you are told about the noise from the street which kept us awake until 6am!!!

The hotel kindly supply ear plugs... yes... EAR PLUGS! Even then we got zero sleep and had to checkout. Conveniently for the hotel they have a seven day cancellation policy so they kept our money and there was nothing lastminute could do about it. If you want no sleep and to give your hard earned cash to a hotel that conveniently with holds this info on the last minute site, be my guest!

I for one want to warn people of this so that it doesn't ruin their holiday like it did mine!

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Learnie121
Siranne, General Manager at Urban Chic Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

Dr Mr. Learnihan

Thank you for your review.

I am very sorry that you feel that we treated you unfairly and for the fact that you feel that we falsely advertise our establishment.

The fact of the matter is that we have never hidden the fact from Lastminute.com or any other site for that matter that we are in the heart of Long Street which is widely known as the Party street of Cape Town. In fact our website states that we are in the "bustling melting-pot that is Long Street" and boasts pictures under the location tab which clearly depict the atmosphere of Long Street.

Our website uses phrases like, "vibrant nightlife on Long Street" , "busy pubs with something for everyone", "tapped into the pulse of the city", "vibrant energy of Cape Town", "busy street", "thronging crowds" and "vibrant ambience that is Long street" to name only a few. We have never shied away from this fact and actually pride ourselves on our location.

Yes, we do provide earplugs for our guests that require them, and usually this helps immediately. There are however guests that require nothing at all and sleep like babies. Each individual has their own unique sleeping habits. Some of us are heavy sleepers and others are light sleepers. This is just the way things are. We find that changing rooms after the first night does the trick for those guests that do have trouble sleeping. From what I understand, my staff did offer you this option and you declined.

We have on average 7500 guests staying with us annually and 95% of them are happy;we even have a good number of return guests.

On the subject of cancellation. You will find that 99.9% of hotels the world over charge a cancellation fee. This is just good business sense.

Yours sincerely,