“Best Best Portuguese cuisine on our doorstep!”
Review of Petiscos

Petiscos
Ranked #126 of 1,297 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Petiscos Restaurant opened its doors in 2006 with the aromas of both Portugal and Mozambique drifting through Cape Town's West Coast. Somewhat of a hidden oasis in the midst of fast food franchises, Petiscos doesn't venture into gourmet designer cuisine either. Instead it offers the kind of soul-satisfying food a Portuguese grandmother would have spent the whole Sunday afternoon cooking. From the Mozambican-inspired nacional cream sauce accented with beer from the region, served on juicy prawns to the traditional Portuguese peri-peri chicken; there is something for every palate. The place itself looks like a part of Lisbon's streets was imported and grafted onto a corner that celebrated the African fusion of Maputo. On Wednesdays and Thursdays (7:00 - 10:00 PM), Saturdays (8:00 - 11:00 PM) and Sunday lunches (12:00-3:00PM), an eclectic array of live music is played, from beloved 'pub' hits, to hot Latino tracks to soothing guitar medleys. Petiscos is a place for everyone: a romantic dinner date, an indulgent Sunday family lunch, a Saturday Latino party with friends or even functions or large groups. Come dine in a small corner of Portugal...in Cape Town! Andy Da Silva is the owner of Petiscos. Having left a mark with Senhor Prego, a popular hot-spot in Joz, where arguably, the biggest pregos were served this side of the equator; Andy brought his love of Portuguese and Mozambican cuisine to Cape Town. Together with his son Rudi, they form the heart of what is essentially a family-run business.
Reviewed 26 August 2018

The sardines, rissoles, peri peri chicken, prawns, trinchado, pasteis 'de nada.........authentic, aromatic, best value. Great atmosphere.

Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

GREAT authentic Portuguese cuisine! This is a must visit Cape GEM. Owner Andy Da Silva and his son Rudi are loving hosts! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - By far, the best Portuguese Restaurant in town!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018

Went to this venue for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. We were part of a large group for a friend's birthday,and besides our large group all the other tables were occupied. This says a lot as we went on a Tuesday night. My partner and I ordered the Kingklip with added prawns. The food was cooked perfectly and tasted absolutely divine. One of our neighbours had a prego steak, which he loved. His wife wanted a fillet steak but the restaurant had no stock. She ordered a rump steak instead and loved it. She said that she normally does not eat rump as she doesn't like it. Some of the others raved over the Xia chicken. They all said that the special sauce on this chicken was to die for, and could well be served without the chicken as it was that nice. None of the group had any complaints regarding their food and although we were a group of +-20, we hardly had any service issues. Don't expect anything fancy as in my opinion this restaurant is about quality and food.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

17 of us gathered here for a family get together, and were seated at a long rectangular table, the one side of which backed onto a wall (ie those sitting on that side were pretty much trapped for the night). Not that I blame the restaurant for this - not many places these days have the space size to allow for either round tables or that length of open sided rectangular table to allow people to move freely).

There was live music, which was ok. The feel of the place was busy, good atmosphere if somewhat noisy with the combined chatter and music.

Onto the important stuff, the food. They advertise Portugese and Mozambiquan flavours here. I decided to throw caution to the wind and ordered the crab (after cautiously enquiring price - it's one of those with an SQ behind it's desription - in my case that normally means "so can't afford it!" :-) Never mind, the crab was R175 - not a bad price, particularly when your uncle from Canada is paying the bill!

I was underwhelmed. That could be because it's only the 2nd time in my life that I've had crab, and the first time was practically 2 hours after the crab had been caught and then cooked on an open fire (delish!). Not bad, but didn't live up to my expectations.

A lot of prawn and chicken options here. You also get to choose your level of heat between mild, medium and hot. I tasted my brother's chicken (ordered mild) and it was delicious. Overall, everyone seemed pretty happy with their food and it was a good evening.

I suspect I would have had a pretty great time if I had gone with a smaller party (say 4-6) and we could all order different dishes and taste much more - so would recommend you try it that way!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The peri peri chicken cafrael with a side xai xai sauce is simply sublime.
The service and ambience are always good.
This is our favourite Portuguese restaurant

Date of visit: June 2018