“Relaxed dining on the terrace”
Review of F. East Indian Restaurant - CLOSED

F. East Indian Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 December 2012

I like what we in Europe call "Indian food". I am a sucker for spicy chicken and often order chicken vindaloo.

I walked by F. East today and decided to test them. The restaurant was almost empty and I choosed to sit on the terrace in a "lounge" sofa. Not ideal for eating but relaxed and comfy. The menu has something for everyone. While I decided I was served complimentary poppadoms with sauces, a nice touch.

I choosed chicken vindalo, basmatri rice (which is not really needed because you get potatoes in vindalo), garlic nan and cucumber raita (youghurt).

It was all delicious. The nan was of course freshly made and beautiful colored with what I believe is safron. The chicken as spicy as you can expect. I really enjoyed this quality food.

My only "complaint" is that you get too much food. I ate probably half of it. It's more of a problem for the restaurant but I don't like leaving food.

So if you fancy some really good indian food in a relaxed lounge environment, this is your place. They do have proper dining tables as well if you don't like the sofa.

In addition to all the food described above, I had a Castle beer predrink and a huge glass of Shiraz. Still the bill was only R201.

Date of visit: December 2012

Reviewed 10 October 2012

Large restaurant capable of seating a group of us at short notice. Quite a good, varied menu with emphasis on spice and flavor not bulk which is always a joy. Service was friendly if a little slow. Food was good and everyone enjoyed in our group.

Date of visit: July 2012
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We started with blood orange strawberry daquiris which tasted great but i dont think there was much alcohol in them. My boyfriend ordered lamb vindaloo, our friend got chicken korma and I got palak paneer and stuffed mushrooms. Both of my dishes were supposed to be small, one was a side and one was an appetizer, however both of them were huge! The palak paneer was almost too much for a dinner so I felt overwhelmed by the food. The rice you also have to pay for separately but they have saffron rice and it was great! The meat dishes are definitely pricey for Cape Town, almost 10 euro a piece but the vegetarian dishes are good value. Palak paneer did not taste very good though and I travel the globe full time, constantly trying palak/saag in different countries while im on the road.

Date of visit: July 2012
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Good location but everything else need improvement. An ugly ceiling and a near zero decor makes the place unappealing to begin with. Furniture is of poor quality and finish; our table was badly wobbling before somebody put a pack of support underneath one of its legs). Taste of the food is just about OK; not what you pay for to experience an authentic Indian cuisine. I shall advise to try your evening out elsewhere, at least till they really pull themselves up.

Date of visit: June 2012
Reviewed 18 March 2012

If you love eating Indian Food and people watching at the same time, the balcony of F.East is a must. It is situated on buzzy Long Street right in the centre of Cape Town. Watching the strange assortment of passers by from an upstairs balcony overlooking other laticed balconies reminded me a little of New Orleans but with a very Southern African flavour.

I am not an expert in Indian food, but the range seemed very good and the flavours were excellent. Service was brisk, efficient and very friendly.

They have a good range of wine, and all in all, I can't think of one good reason not to try this restaurant - except the difficulty parking.

Date of visit: March 2012