“Can not wait to return to this amazing restaurant”
Review of Brio - CLOSED

Brio
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Brio is set in a beautiful historic 120 year old building in the Cape Town CBD. We offer a plush, opulent environment with live music every evening.
Reviewed 19 May 2011

This is absolutely now my most favourite restaurant in Cape Town.
This was my second time to Brio, the first visit really was memorable, I just had to return to make sure that it was as good as my last visit, and of course it was. From the stylish, sophisticated decor to the amazingly talented entertainment, food to die for, and excellent service, I certainly will be returning.
A big thank you to Skippy and his very lovely attentive staff.

Diana & Mark Swellendam

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Brio is definitely in my top 3 favourite restaurants in SA. And currently one of Cape Town's best kept secrets. Think chandeliers, candelbra, marble walls, black and white tiled floors, a library with wood paneled walls and a roaring fireplace. Then take all of this, and add succulent food, astounding service and live lounge and blues music in the background. An evening at Brio is guaranteed to transport you back to an era of glamour, indulgent living and moving music.

If you haven't been yet, I strongly suggest you change this promptly! This restaurant will remind you exactly why one enjoys eating out. It's about the experience, and this restaurant never fails to deliver an experience like no other.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

We had dinner at Brio for the first time and what a unique experience. The Restaurant has a 1940's feel to it with a live band and singer performing throughout the night. The food was superb with the highlight being the Beef Wellington and the Lindt Chocolate Pudding. Definately a place we will return and recommend to friends and colleagues!!!!

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Never ever again. We booked for a party of five, table was set for four, we had to ask in 3 different occasions to please set up for the 5th person .
Brand new winter menu, so one expects to have a choice - Wrong
. NO Camembert, ( they had apparently run out the previous night , and not bee delivered ... how difficult it is to go to woolworths down the road and stock up on some "emerrgency stock"???) NO pork belly ( was only told once we asked for it ...) and the special: tomato soup, possibly out of a can, like the mash was not made out of real potatoes but more likely out of the box.
The Oxtail had not been cooked enough and was clinging to the bone for dear life. 3 of us had ordered it , and we got 3 different "presentations" ( read they forgot to decorate 2 out of 3 plates)
The Coq au Vin had been microwaved to the point that the inside temperature was of 300 degrees , rendering it inedible.
Peking Duck .... drowned in sweet n sour overcooked .. Just Horrible .
the quality of the implements ( plates, cutlery ..) really poor for a place that is supposed to serve fine dining ... thick and heavy ( at least the staff gets a good upper body exercise)
All in all a really bad experience not to be repeated, especially at those prices.
I expected good quality and good service. I got neither.

1  Thank LVWCT
Reviewed 9 May 2011

I keep meaning to write a review of this restaurant; it's been a couple of months since we (partner and two friends) were there and the reaon for the delay, apart from my usual tendency to procrastinate, is that I wanted to do Brio justice. However it will take a better review writer than me to do that - but here goes anyway.

So Brio by name and brio by nature - this restaurant is most certainly full of vivacity and spirit. In fact it is a perfect example of a place where the whole is far greater than the sum of its constituent parts. The decor food, service and entertainment (great jazz band and singers) all combine perfectly to provide a truly memorable experience. The place has a sophisticated feel and an informal easy going charm. It's all great fun - even going to the toilet . To get there you ride an ancient elevator and, if male, pee on what can only be described as the equivalent of a lava lamp urinal!

I can't actually remember what I had to eat - drank too much wine - but I can recall it being very good. And Brio is true to its South African heritage, wonderful steaks accompanied by roasted squash and creamed spinach - an essential accompaniment to any South African meal.

1  Thank gweru