All reviews first floor sister hotel perfect break sanctuary spa balcony overlooking special place to stay dash restaurant ferris wheel bedside table cape wheel breakfast room our honeymoon sitting room fabulous stay bedroom and bathroom bottle of champagne wine country
Reviewed 12 September 2015 via mobile

A really special hotel is a special location. Yes, services are shared with the sister hotels but having travelled the world and stayed in a number of great hotels, this one will hold a special place in my heart. Fabulous.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2015

My wife, daughter and I stayed here for 3 nights during the final stretch of our 15 day holiday travelling down from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and whilst the hotel is very elegant with beautifully large bedrooms and bathrooms we felt there was something lacking in the service that we'd experienced elsewhere. That's not to say that we were unhappy, just that I don't feel we can score this hotel 5 stars against the other boutique hotels where the service was `full on' during our stay. And to be fair, the main area of differentiation was purely in the reception/ guest services, which I think is as a result of the Dock House sharing these functions between the two other hotels in the same group within a stones throw of each other (the V&A and The Portswood Hotel I believe). There are only six rooms in the Dock House and therefore it doesn't necessarily command staff being on call 24x7 but the experience when we arrived was not as personal as other boutique hotels. For example, a small bottle of champagne had been placed in our room much earlier in the day (we didn't check-in until around 5pm), the ice had melted and it didn't feel very personal when we had to wait for a staff member from reception to come over from The Portswood Hotel to the Dock House to check us in. We were invited to have a drink on arrival, we chose tea and coffee, and where then presented with a bill for it?! Other small touches were missing, such as no tea/ coffee facilities in the room (ordered and piad for throughout via room service + tip), hot water bottles, heated blankets (we had to request someone to come and show us how to work the heating which didn't appear to be functioning correctly), etc.. My wife also felt it lacked a bit of atmosphere, I guess being a city hotel, and we were never really told whether we could use the facilities of the sister hotels outside of using the spa facilities at The Portswood to freshen up on our day of departure given we were checking out at 11:00 but not leaving until 16:00 - you might want to confirm this on arrival?! On a positive note, the hotel could not be better located with a rear exit in the garden that leads down to the waterfront via some steps and is no more than a 2 minute walk. Where the hotel is raised on a bit of a hill there is also no exposure to pedestrian or road traffic; it is an extremely peaceful and quiet hotel (outside of room 2 which I will touch on in a moment). No complaints about the size or decor of the rooms which were first class however I would caution staying in room 2 (we were in rooms 2 [downstairs] and 3 [upstairs]) with room 2 being right next to the breakfast room where, on a morning, you might be woken earlier than desired by the clanging of plates and cutlery etc. If you like to lie-in or you are a light sleeper request room 3 or another room upstairs. The waiting staff and porter(s) are friendly, cheerful and very helpful. The breakfast menu selection is `fine dining' and, generally, all staff are very customer focused but not all of them are always `on tap'. We would most certainly stay here again because of the location, and I am sure in the summer the pool and garden is absolutely stunning against the Cape Town back-drops, but I would go with the expectation that some staff are shared between hotels and ensure I request a room upstairs. A very enjoyable stay, well deserving of 4 stars, and I almost feel sorry about the small niggles but I hope the Dock House receives these constructively (especially about having to pay for tea/ coffee, which is not really acceptable). Final point, the hotel adds a small contribution to your bill (10 Rand per day) for their nominated charity without telling you. This is the only hotel we encountered this and I am not sure I agree with the practice as it might offend or cause embarrassment for some patrons. Almost a 5 star experience but fell short in ways that could be easily addressed.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the first floor/ away from the restaurant if you are a light sleeper - avoid room #2
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank DCMIT1
Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

I was originally booked into the Queen Victoria but was happily upgraded to the Dock House. I had a beautiful room (6). It was large with a separate toilet and wash basin. The main bathroom was fairly open plan but there was a mirrored partition that gave you enough privacy. The bath was my favourite part of the room. It was a huge sunken bath and there was a TV on the wall. Pure decadence! The shower was also very good and powerful. Good sized Charlotte Rhys toiletries were provided.
The bed was huge with wonderful linens and pillows
The service was impeccable. Nothing was too much trouble for Craig and his team.
There is a gate in the gardens which comes out near the rugby museum, so straight down to the wheel in less than a minute.
Breakfast was also fantastic. Lots of choice. I had the potato rostii with feta, which I would definitely recommend.
Unfortunately I only had one night here but would love to stay again but for longer next time

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Neil M, Manager at Dock House Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2015

Dear lisasplaces,

My team and I are delighted to read that you had a memorable stay with us recently and cannot even begin to thank you for writing such a positive review for future travellers. We pride ourselves on delivering personalized attention to our guests and always want to make you feel at home with us. Craig is an integral part of this and sends his very best.

Please do let us know when you will join us again by sending an email to reservations@newmarkhotels.com so that we can make your next Dock House visit just as memorable.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 28 August 2015

A friend found the Dock House and what a find. Only 6 rooms but each one uniquely charming. We were warmly greeted by all the Staff and it was so nice to have a cold bottle of champagne waiting in our room. What sets the place apart is the personalized service from GM Craig Kirby who took the time to get to know us and went out of his way to understand our interests and make our stay special. A beautiful garden outside the rooms with a gate that drops you right into the V&A Waterfront - just what we wanted. Rooms were large and well appointed. Continental breakfast was offered at 2 additional properties if we wanted to check out some other places. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: All rooms we saw were unique, spacious and overlooked the Waterfront
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Scott H,

“Thank you for taking the time to write a review for future travellers. We are delighted to read that you found some peace in the beauty of the hotel's grounds and that you had a lovely journey with us. In a world where luxury has become a crucial requirement to the distinguished traveller, it’s important that luxury hotels maintain a certain mystique that invites their guests to continually return. Craig sends his best regards.

Please do let us know when you will join us again at the hotel by sending an email to reservation@newmarkhotels.com so that we can make your next Dock House visit just as memorable.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 24 August 2015

It's rare to find a hotel that ticks all the boxes - but this one does. The fantastic service, friendliness and professionalism, style, location, breakfasts, parking, beautiful rooms, views etc etc, are simply all top notch. Dock House and its manager Craig are a class act and I can say hand on heart that you will not regret booking a stay here.

The hotel is small and luxury boutique, housed in a restored historical building located slap bang in the heart of the waterfront area and yet set above and slightly behind the hustle and bustle so you get a feeling of calm retreat. The room, 505, is one that I'll remember forever. It offered wonderful balcony views of the garden and waterfront, was so very tastefully decorated, it went on for miles - I could have housed a family of four in the bathroom alone, had lovely toiletries including a decent hair conditioner and included a generous welcome bottle of sparkling wine.

Craig the manager was extremely helpful in making reservations for us and in offering suggestions and recommendations for Cape Town and further afield. He is a star and I am grateful that he enhanced our Cape Town experience.

One thing I am very pleased to report about this hotel is that it hasn't prompted me to write this review. Since finishing my South Africa holiday, I have been bombarded with emails from other hotels we stayed at telling me to post a glowing review. One even went as far as copying my guest book comments back to me and suggesting I might like to cut and paste these into Tripadvisor! Trust me, Dock House would never need to stoop so low.

Room Tip: Room 505 affords great views and will make you feel like you are visiting royalty.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear Happytraveller12397,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your experiential journey for future travellers. We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay at the Dock House Boutique Hotel and Spa and that we met every one of your expectations. Craig and his team love to go out of their way to make every guests stay one you will not soon forget and reading your review has reiterated this point.

Warm Regards