Once you find it, Jatinga Country Lodge is an absolute delight. A colonial legacy, it certainly evoked in those days (not that I can remember!) With its sofas on the veranda and staff ready and willing to meet your every need, especially when I needed a charging lead for my camera batteries and they cobbled one together for me. Perhaps the staff were a little bit too willing, verging on obsequious, although my first experience of South Africa, that seemed to be a common tendency.
My room, one half of a stand alone Lodge (all the rooms are stand-alone, scattered throughout the grounds with none more than 100 m from the main building), was delightful. Simply, but elegantly, furnished with good quality linens and toiletries. The bathroom had both a bath (with integral shower) and a separate corner shower, although Eric (the owner) might like to think whether the cobbled floor in the shower is as good as for feet as it is pretty. There was also an outside shower for when it was hotter than during my stay.
The grounds are magnificent, essentially a mini-arboretum with many of the trees labelled and named. Even in the depths of winter (Ha, Ha, Ha, - us Brits know about winters and South Africa certainly does not have one!) there was interest with the odd tree in flower and a few relatively exotic plants in bloom. The deck overlooking the river, actually a large stream tumbling through boulders, was a great place for afternoon tea. So pretty is the garden that while I was there two different wedding groups turned just to take the photos in the garden, apparently a common occurrence!
Top all this with a three course breakfast of yoghurt, granola, honey, fresh fruit followed by cold meats and cheeses then an English selection all with toast and croissant and muffins, and you are set up for the day. Dinner was good, albeit from a choice of only two offerings per course. (In my two weeks in South Africa I ate in a range of places at a wide variety of price points and although I never ate a poor meal equally I did not we eat anything approaching gourmet status.)
Thank you Eric for a great and relaxing stay.
Tip-set your satnav out for Jatinga Village not Jatinga Road, the Lodge is about a kilometre down the dirt track from the sign for Jatinga on the R538
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 38 km from the Kruger Park, Jatinga is within easy driving distance of the scenic Panorama route and several excellent golf courses. Six new rooms opened in September '05, known as the Orchard and Forest rooms. In true Colonial style, tea and fresh scones are served each afternoon with our compliments. Complimentary sparkling wine and canapes served at sundown each day in the privacy of your room, a mere taste of things to come! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Jatinga Country Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jatinga Country Hotel White River
- Jatinga Country Lodge White River, South Africa - Mpumalanga