All reviews game viewing the owner the river sitting area malelane gate swimming pool peter housekeeper bedroom garden impala elephants banks drive fence park accommodation
Reviewed 19 June 2017

This is more like a guest house with 3 bedrooms, a huge living come dining area. Balconies, outhouse, swimming pool, kitchen the works. It nests near the water body across which you can see the forest.

We spotted elephants, crocodile and hippo from Khandizwe. Very exciting.

There is a house maid who comes to clean the place, she does your laundry and provides breakfast.

My only disappointment was the breakfast as it was very basic just 4 eggs, bread, cornflakes and flavored curd and of course tea/coffee. I wanted to ask for more eggs as we were 2 adults and 1 child but the housekeeper went out to finish other work after laying the table. The price of accommodation is very high and if you compare the breakfast being provided, it doesn't look right. Also the wifi signal gave us some trouble.

The owner Peter is extremely friendly. He kept in touch with us from Germany (i think) and briefed us and helped us with booking safari at the park. Very enterprising person.

I personally however feel that people should stay inside Kruger to really spot the Big 5.

Date of stay: May 2017
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

Fantastic place.
Stayed two nights. Shame we couldn't stay longer...
Great views and plenty of wildlife.
The place is very comfortable and well managed. Will visit again for sure. Enjoy the hippos at night with their grunts and sounds

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Daniel L
Reviewed 5 March 2017

There were four of us travelling in SA and this was an amazing place that we had all to ourselves . We couldn't believe how lucky we were to find it. It is spacious, well equipped, clean and comfortable. Huge ares to roam around in. We certainly made good use of the braii area, using it every night for three nights.
The garden was well kept and the pool was warm and inviting. Sitting in the garden watching the wildlife - hippos, elephant, crocodile, was just awesome. It was like having your own personal viewing area. I loved it when the elephants crossed the river and were no more than q few feet away.
Rosa was brilliant, sorting out our washing and preparing breakfast for us. She was very smiley and giggled a lot. I liked her.
Peter was exceptionally helpful and sorted out a morning safari for us.
This is one of the top private places I have ever stayed in and it will remain high up in my memory for a long time. I would certainly recommend it to my friends.

Date of stay: February 2017
Reviewed 30 December 2016

Four of us traveled around South Africa in 20 days and stayed in 9 different locations (hotels, flats, lodges) and for me, Khandizwe River Lodge is the most amazing and unforgettable "home away from home" for its location, cleanliness, amenities and distance to the Kruger National Park. We had the Lodge by ourselves and the pool was refreshing after a hot day.
We saw giraffes, impalas, hippos, etc. across the river on our 1st day then we went on Safari the next day. We spent most of the 3rd day at the lodge, waiting for the elephants to pass by and were not dis-appointed when they turned up at around 3pm. Most of them were across the river but 2 passed by us, right by our side of the river. The smaller elephant went into the river and had a splash but the biggest elephant (Matriarch?) walked slowly right by us, eating the grass, stopping to look at us and I had to walk slowly backwards when it got too near me... it was so close I could see her eyelashes.
Peter, the Owner of the Lodge, was friendly and helped arranged our safari and evening meal.. and we had a braii (bbq) in the garden area in our 3rd day. He provided us with breakfast items incl bread, butter, yogurt, cold meat, etc. and Rose helped/dealt with our washing (clothes).
My experience at this place is unforgettable and I would gladly recommend the Khandizwe River Lodge to others, esp my friends and family members.

Room tip: The room in the front is perfect for peeping out in the early hours, looking for animals across the river.
Date of stay: December 2016
Reviewed 12 August 2016

It is the perfect location. Game viewing from the comfort of your room, patio or next to the swimming pool. Lots of elephants that came right next to the fence.
The lodge is beautiful with great spaces to relax and enjoy the tranquility. It is clean and well equipped.

One thing to note is that they do not prepare the breakfast for you, they just provide the basics like bread, eggs, cold meats, yogurt etc.(lots) It was great for us but might be a problem for the next guy.

2 of the showers are quite small.
Some of the chairs in the lounge area are not very comfortable.

We had a great time and would recommend the lodge to especially family or a group of friends wanting to spend some quality time together.

Date of stay: August 2016