“Stepped right into the Mediterranean”
Review of Barrio

Barrio
Ranked #51 of 138 Restaurants in Umhlanga Rocks
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2016

My husband and I had the absolute pleasure of having lunch at Barrio on 6 April 2016. We were warmly welcomed by very friendly staff members.

Our waitress, Lihle effortlessly took great care of us throughout our entire meal.

The restaurant boasts a very sophisticated yet relaxing ambience. Great care was given to the beautiful décor throughout the restaurant. The fish tanks that separate the restaurant and bar area adds to the very charming ambience. Crisp white linen adorns the tables. The view over Palm Boulevard is beautiful.

The menu boasts a wide variety to choose from and is reasonably priced. The wine list also boasts an excellent selection of wines. I had a glass of Anura Sauvignon Blanc which was excellent and a decent portion.

We received complimentary freshly baked bread rolls which was very tasty. My husband ordered the 200 gram sirloin with vegetables and a salad. His sirloin was grilled to perfection (medium-rare) and he declared it delicious. His salad was freshly made using crisp fresh ingredients.

I ordered the mezze portion Mejillones which consisted of mussels in a creamy white wine sauce with a hint of mild chilli. The combination of flavours was perfectly balanced. This was without a doubt the best mussels I ever had. I also ordered the Prawns Padella which consisted of six butterflied prawns lightly covered in a heavenly sauce. Each bite was bursting with Mediterranean flavour.

We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch at Barrio and will most definitely return on our next visit to Umhlanga.

Throughout our entire delicious meal we felt a little bit transformed to our favourite place in the world – Santorini…

1  Thank zerwickrenatevictor

Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

I often lunch at this fine high quality restaurant staff and management are very observant to customers needs food is out of this world Keep up your high standards
always be back..

Reviewed 26 April 2016 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant!

Super friendly staff make this feel like a family restaurant.

Lovely decor and varied settings throughout, choice of sunshine, or a cool shady corner.

Tiger prawns were amazing quality and the portions always seemed very generous.

Would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 18 April 2016 via mobile

On Sunday I parked my car in the parking garage under Barrio. I saw a couple of guy having containers with fish in a trolley from "Game " when they off loaded it all the " fresh" fish were dropped in the dirty trolley- then they put a piece of carton on the floor of parking garage and dumped the fish on this. I asked them for which restaurant the fish was and was told Barrio.
I know that this is not the way to handle fish for a restaurant.

Reviewed 4 April 2016

Booked to celebrate my mums birthday at what a mess. Slow service, They did not understand what we meant by fully cooked steak and lamb and served us rare meat which tasted nothing like lamb. I have never tasted such tough awful cuts of lamb before. Only one bartender for a month end Saturday, We were not even offered something else to drink. Prices are extremely high for the service and poor quality of food presented.