It's unfortunate I've taken so long in reviewing the Essenwood House, as it is an absolute wonder in Durban, but better late than never, right? I traveled to Durban at the end of a trip through Southern Africa with my wife, and my only regret is that I didn't stay longer in Durban to spend more time at the Essenwood House - it's that good.
- Location - perfectly situated in Berea, it's easy to get anywhere you want in Durban, in or out of town.
- Stunning colonial architecture with pastel colors and impeccably clean.
- Huge bedroom with balcony and a bathroom bigger than some other bedrooms I stayed on my trip.
- Yes, you've read it before, it bears repeating - phenomenal breakfast. Made to order, whatever you want, they'll get you. Private, beautiful, an experience by itself.
- *Real* coffee in a french press - I'd just about given up hope that it existed in the lower half of the entire continent.
- The bathroom is monstrous (yeah, I'm repeating that), with a double sink vanity, bidet, full-size tub and extra-large shower stall.
- Free wifi internet; really, you just ask John for the password and it works!
- Owners that really care about who is staying with them, even if only for a night. Everything about the Essenwood was fantastic, but the service was what I regret not getting to experience more of the most.
- Pillow chocolates!
- Adorable pups running around, very well behaved and friendly!
- Gorgeous grounds and a view of the Indian Ocean past downtown Durban
- Meticulous gardens and plantings and a large refreshing pool in an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Durban.
- The towel warmer didn't work. That's really all I could find.
As I've said already, Essenwod House is definitely top tier in my book in places I've stayed at. There's no other choice when in Durban - I'd go so far as to say I'd reorganize my trip dates to make sure there was availability at the Essenwood when I go back. If you're in Durban - do yourself a favor and stay at the Essenwood House
Thanks for reading my review - if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Essenwood House offers both the corporate or leisure guest all the comforts of a magnificent Edwardian private home in true 5 star affordable accommodation. Set in a tropical garden, peace and quiet yet minutes away from the city centre of Durban, shopping malls, restaurants, Durban Convention centre and the well-known Durban beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Essenwood House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.