“Superlative”
Review of Essenwood House

Essenwood House
Ranked #5 of 268 Durban B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2013

It's unfortunate I've taken so long in reviewing the Essenwood House, as it is an absolute wonder in Durban, but better late than never, right? I traveled to Durban at the end of a trip through Southern Africa with my wife, and my only regret is that I didn't stay longer in Durban to spend more time at the Essenwood House - it's that good.

Pros:
- Location - perfectly situated in Berea, it's easy to get anywhere you want in Durban, in or out of town.
- Stunning colonial architecture with pastel colors and impeccably clean.
- Huge bedroom with balcony and a bathroom bigger than some other bedrooms I stayed on my trip.
- Yes, you've read it before, it bears repeating - phenomenal breakfast. Made to order, whatever you want, they'll get you. Private, beautiful, an experience by itself.
- *Real* coffee in a french press - I'd just about given up hope that it existed in the lower half of the entire continent.
- The bathroom is monstrous (yeah, I'm repeating that), with a double sink vanity, bidet, full-size tub and extra-large shower stall.
- Free wifi internet; really, you just ask John for the password and it works!
- Owners that really care about who is staying with them, even if only for a night. Everything about the Essenwood was fantastic, but the service was what I regret not getting to experience more of the most.
- Pillow chocolates!
- Adorable pups running around, very well behaved and friendly!
- Gorgeous grounds and a view of the Indian Ocean past downtown Durban
- Meticulous gardens and plantings and a large refreshing pool in an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Durban.

Cons:
- The towel warmer didn't work. That's really all I could find.

As I've said already, Essenwod House is definitely top tier in my book in places I've stayed at. There's no other choice when in Durban - I'd go so far as to say I'd reorganize my trip dates to make sure there was availability at the Essenwood when I go back. If you're in Durban - do yourself a favor and stay at the Essenwood House

Thanks for reading my review - if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

Jon

Room Tip: Upstairs, with the balcony overlooking the pool and Inidan Ocean (just ask for it when booking)
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JB24003
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Just read yuor reallyf antastic review! So kind for everything you said and we are so glad that you enjoyed the stay with us. So sorry about the towel rail, I could have swtiched it on for you, we swuitch it off to save the excorbitant electricity charges in S.A.!!
Hope to see you again, Best wishes,
John and paddy

Reviewed 8 January 2013

Warm service, lovely ambience and great location. We had a relaxing family holiday and will definitely be back. We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, the lush garden and the homely feel. Embodies durban's relaxed and warm vibe!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you io much for yor very kind review, which is much appreciated. It makes everything so worth while when we hear from guests who have enjoyed their stay with us and of course we enjoy having you here! I hope the rest of your trip was successful and you arrived home safely, With best wishes,
John Chance

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We spent 4 nights in two suites in this perfectly located bed and breakfast in a wonderful Victorian House, and hope we can do the same in the future! The glorious honeymoon suite on the upper floor has a view from its large wooden deck over Durban to the sea beyond, and one of our party had an equally splendid suite below us on the ground floor, opening onto a spacious verandah leading directly onto manicured green lawns and a sparkling blue swimming pool. Both rooms had air-conditioning units, very high ceilings, and incredibly large en-suite bathrooms, and the king size bed in the former, as well as the twin beds in the latter, were complemented by very generous cupboard space, bar-fridges, full coffee and tea facilities, lovely tables, armchairs, thoughtful additional accessories, all making for a truly comfortable and tastefully decorated environment. The rooms were serviced each day. The breakfast was delightful. Fruit, cereals, freshly-baked croissants, bottomless tea and coffee and juices were the precursors to expertly cooked full English breakfasts made to order. The staff were utterly professional, pleasant, and helpful. The highlight was the quite astounding care and friendly attention of John and Paddy, the owners, who care so much and deliver more than one would expect. I can't imagine looking for anywhere else to stay in Durban on a short visit. Within easy reach are the city and the main roads to both north and south coasts and the local shopping centre is three minutes away by car. Pre-booking, arrival, and settling-in were smooth and expertly handled, and there were no surprises on the bill, which was equally efficiently processed. This is most highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2013

Thank you so much for your very kind remarks. We really enjoyed having you to stay , it is always a pleasure when our guests leave with happy memories and of course we hope to see you here again., With best wishes,
John and Paddy

Reviewed 13 December 2012

This is our 2nd stay at this beautiful guest house. The property is located at the top of the Berea has a lovely garden with pool and a view of the city and Indian Ocean in the distance. Our room was extremely large with a very comfortable king size bed, and plenty of closet space, and of course had an en-suite bathroom. Little extra touches make this a special place to stay. Coffee and tea available in room, with cookies and fresh fruit supplied daily. A wonderful large hot cooked breakfast was included so that we often only needed a snack for lunch. The property is secure and we felt very safe staying there. However it's best to have your own car to get around.

Room Tip: Upstairs front room with king-size bed has its own large balcony and great view. All rooms are quiet...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janloism
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2012

Thank you so much for toor very kind review. It is always good to have our guests make return visits and it was great to see yuo again and that everythig went of O.K./
I hope that you got home safely to a very cold Canada, lovely summer weather here now after al the rain, Hope to see you again.
Bst wishes
from John and paddy

Reviewed 27 November 2012

We stayed in Essenwood House for one night on our way to the wild coast, I just wish we could have stayed another night! The owners gave us a lovely welcome and were really helpful and informative. The rooms were massive, with equally massive bathrooms, all presented beautifully. The views of the city and ocean from the balconies were wonderful, along with the garden and swimming pool. The food and service at breakfast couldn't be faulted. Would strongly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aaron K
Essenwood, Owner at Essenwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2012

What a very kind review, so much appreciated to have geusts who have enjoyed their stay woith us, it makes it all worth going the extra mile!
Hope you got home safely and of course that we might see you again,
With best wishes