US$152
US$120
US$114
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$137/night.

US$83
US$58
  • Breakfast included
US$205
US$122
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$139/night.

US$134
US$116
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$131/night.

The Benjamin(Durban)
US$122
US$112
US$113
US$106
US$66
Orbitz.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 February 2015

Akanan Guesthouse is located in a quiet and safe quarter, within walking distance of the beach and near a mall with an excellent italian restaurant. The wellcome was warm and efficient, allthough Annemarie was away; she was very well replaced by her daughter and a friend.
Akanan provides nice rooms, spotless facilities and a pool is available; although we found no deck chairs beside the pool; a lot of yelling and jumping in the water was going on, so it was quite impossible to read a book.
Some of the reviewers mentioned "delicious food"; I wouldn't know since we didn't have lunch or dinner at Akanan's; but we had breakfast which is far from brilliant: ham and (industrial) cheese of very poor quality; same with the jam: industrial; it was not really bad, but certainly not excellent.
What irritated me most are the huge posters on every door, telling us that smoking is forbidden and that we wil be FINED!!!! if we do! (How do they expect to do that?) I consider it quite annoying to be treated as a naughty child or an unobedient citizen. I am not. If you tell me this is a non smoking area that will do. Besides: I don't smoke. Never did.
All in all: Akanan Guesthouse is OK, the price is reasonable, the staff is polite, but I will not go back.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank solouma
Annemarie S, Owner at Akanan Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2015

I am very sorry we've disappointed you.

The poor quality of food which you referred to is not understandable because we buy fresh food (cold meats and cheeses) everyday and according to my knowledge cream cheeses are "processed" . The cheese is for hygienic reasons individually wrapped.

We take note of your concerns but please bear in mind:

1. The smoking laws in South Africa and the specific wording which is prescribed by law which must be use. (We did not try to treat you like a child.)

2. The guest house is a place for all guests therefore children cannot be restricted to not jumping and splashing.

3. There is no deck chairs but nobody was ever worried about it because of the large boma next to the pool where everybody relax (the place where you sat reading your book)

We feel very bad about your bad experience at Akanan because looking at our other reviews this is the first bad experience of anybody in 15 years.

Although you mentioned you will never be back we would like to invite you to one night free stay at the guest house and we will make sure there will be no paying guests with children which can disturb you.

Reviewed 29 January 2015

Akanan guest house has become my home away from home. I feel completely comfortable here and am never short of good company. Anne-Marie and Douw are responsible for this sense of comfort being exceptional hosts in evey aspect. Delicious food, clinically clean but homely and exceptional company. Thank you Akanan Guest House, and I will see you soon.

• Stayed: December 2014
Reviewed 8 November 2014

Akanan guesthouse is well positioned and provides easy access to all the major convention centers, sporting stadiums, shopping malls and beaches in the Durban area. The service and attention to detail is excellent.
The manager Aanamarie and her husband Douw make you feel at home and are always available to assist where they can. The rooms are well proportioned and well equipped which also includes an nesspresso coffee machine! The room is kept exceptionally clean by very friendly staff. Within walking distance there is a small shopping complex , which includes an excellent Italian resturant and a Spar that caters for a wide selection of taste, including freshly made sushi and other delicacies to take away. The guest house is very good value for money and is highly recommended. Best Regards Ian and Lynn Fordred

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2014

Akanan Guest House is located close to the airport. You become part of the family when you stay there, the host Annemarie goes the extra mile to make your stay pleasant and the home cooking is divine.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Well where do I start? What should have been a 2 day stay turned into two weeks! Myself and 2 friends were delayed going back to work within the shipping industry and our hosts Douw and Anne Marie made us very very welcome indeed.
The Rooms
The rooms are absolutely spotless and the beds are made everyday as well as cleaned. The beds are very comfy and the linen is perfectly white. I felt guilty sleeping in the bed as it looked that nice! Each room has a mini fridge stocked with wine beer and chocolate, nice touch. The bathrooms are well laid out with powerful showers and hot water, there is also shower gel etc and even sewing kits...I mean there is attention to detail but Ann Marie goes well above that...
The Outside Area
There is a lovely swimming pool which has the cleanest water ive seen in a long time, it is constantly cleaned and filtered. The best place to unwind is what we nicknamed " The Man Cave" a huge traditionally built hut has the biggest bbq pit ive ever seen and also a pizza oven, which was put to good use during our stay. we spent many many hours in here using the wifi and socialising, a great place to relax.
The Food
Unbelievable breakfast, stunning coffee machine and every thing you would expect from a large hotel never mind a guest house, full English breakfast is amazing and everything is laid out so beautifully, its a work of art. We were lucky enough for our company to supply us with lunch and dinner and it was crazily good. Ann Marie can really cook and Douw loves getting the giant bbq (which is built into the structure complete with chimney) on the go to cook all the meat. We were in meat heaven!
To give this guest house a 5 as on here is not doing it justice really as I know good, I know excellent but this is absolutely crazy out of this world phenomenally excellent. I give it 2 lots of 5 green circles. Nuff said.....of course your only trouble now is getting a booking! Good luck with that!
PS Message to Mel the owners daughter. Thank you so much for looking after us and taking us out and about, we had the best time ever! I nearly had a tear in my eye......hhheeelllooooo!!
and to Douw and Ann Marie, your hospitality and kindness holds no bounds. Thanks for the braais, the red wine, the company and the laughs. never to be forgotten. Danke, danke, danke!
Love from Terry, Carl and Marc.

Room Tip: there is a separate annex beside the pool which is a self contained flat with a huge bedroom with a kings size bed and two singles, great for a family and you can use the fully kitted out kitchen to cook meals in if you wished. There is also a very large room with a balcony with sea views in the main house upstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business