See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 January 2016

I phoned to enquire after availability in February. I was told to write an email and neither of the two staff members was willing to sms me the email address or take my email address down in order to establish written contact. I was told 'why should she bother to contact me if it was me who needed a room. After all, there is a concert on that night (opposite the Botany Bay Lodge) and she is not concerned about not filling her rooms. I am the one to contact her, so she does not need to send ME an email'. Needless to say, I never bothered taking this booking any further. Instead I phoned Napier House on 31 Napier Road and I was welcomed with a 'Happy New Year' wish and assisted professionally. Guess where I will be staying in February AND all future Durban visits..

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mcikey
BotanyBayLodge, Owner at Botany Bay Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2016

Firstly, let's set the record straight. This lady has not stayed at our guest house and she was so blantently rude on the phone. We would not want a woman with such a bad attitude stay at our guesthouse.

Reviewed 18 November 2015 via mobile

Perfectly situated for my conference today at the Botanical Gardens, it is neat, clean and very comfortable. Friendly welcome and a great business stay. Comes highly recommend on any visit to Durban. Room was more than adequate and well priced for a stop over

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2015

clean and comfortable
attentive and helpful staff
room had everything and more - just too much on the airfreshener bits
20m walk across road to botanical garden
surrounding area otherwise a bit dodgy and need to drive to restaurants etc

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2015

Situated in the nice suburb of Berea, Botany Bay Lodge is just across the street from the Durban Botanical Gardens, arguably one of Africa's oldest botanical gardens. The place is very comfortable and the rooms have enough closet space for those travelers who will stay a while. The beds are comfortable and the bathroom/shower is very functional and exceptionally clean. There is free wi-fi and the area is safe, quiet and most of all for those who like to take afternoon runs, is very near the botanical gardens where one can just loop around the walkway. I liked my stay and the proprietors were very nice and accommodating. The staff was also very helpful.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Botany Bay Lodge was our home away from home for several days following the Comrades Marathon. We felt safe and comfortable at the lodge the entire duration of our stay (it's a gated home with security cameras and two guard dogs). The hosts, Stacy and Wayne, have now become our new friends. They were so accommodating with helping to reserve our last-minute adventure plans; they even offered good recommendations on the value of certain tours and entertainment in the area. They'd offer to call a taxi for us using their landline or personal cell phones, so we wouldn't accumulate international cell charges. Stacy even packed up a travelling breakfast for us to take on our day safari. She and Wayne far exceeded the expectations of excellent hosts.

Stacy is multi-talented. She is an avid scuba diver (she can offer excellent dive advice and connections) and she's a bagpiper. She generally knows all of the exciting events and hip places around the area. While both incredibly helpful, Wayne and Stacy also respected our privacy and allowed us all of the alone time my husband and I could desire.

Lilly, the staff person, did an extraordinary job cleaning our room daily; it was spotless. Her breakfast every morning was the best in town -- perfect eggs. The pride she takes in her work is evident. Each room has an attached restroom and shower - very private. In fact, we rarely saw any of the other guests staying at the lodge. We had access to the fully-stocked kitchen; we also stored our perishable snacks in the refrigerator.

I would recommend this location to any traveler looking for an excellent deal on a safe place in Durban. Book now before everyone catches on to this best kept secret. The free WiFi was a fast connection with unlimited usage. We were able to stay in contact while overseas. That was a huge selling point for us!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple