All reviews nelson mandela square shopping mall glass door large mall excellent hotel direct access shower and toilet modern hotel nespresso machine late checkout star hotel the air conditioning south africa turn down service mini bar business trip rooms are spacious
Reviewed 16 September 2016

The common areas of the hotel are beautifully decorated and the rooms are quite modern. Key card access is necessary to activate the elevator, and then again once you get off the elevator in order to enter the hallway to your room.

Like many hotels overseas, there were two twin beds pushed together to make a queen bed. I was surprised at how large the bathroom was, and there was a tub in addition to a shower.

I did not eat in the restaurant or use the other amenities. The hotel is connected to a large mall.

My only complaint was the lack of electrical outlets in the room in order to charge my phone, etc..., and the fact that there is really nothing around the hotel other than the mall.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
RuiAntunes, Deputy General Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Dear Ltathom,

We appreciate all feedback as it assists us in improving our service offering to our guests. I am very glad to hear that you found our décor to be pleasing to the eye and that you appreciated our security measures. All of our rooms are equipped with a business panel built in on the side of the working desk. This business panel has 2 South African plug points and an international adaptor. Please accept my apologies if this was not explained to you.

Our Concierge desk has an array of tours available for all of our guests should they wish to explore the surrounding areas, perhaps on your next stay with us you would be able to enjoy one of them.

Thank you once again for your wonderful comments, we look forward to welcoming you back to the DAVINCI in the near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 15 September 2016

i normally stay in rosebank at the park hyatt, but however when i got into town on tuesday i opted to stay in sandton and i chose the davinci hotel as its centrally located and my conference was close by so i could walk to them. when i first checked in late (11pm)there was an elder gentleman and a young guy and everything went well as expected, it was pretty quiet so it quick and efficient. when i got to the room and switched on the lights and i got to the bedroom section, the first thing i noticed was the thick layer of dust on the cupboard, and then in the bathroom there was no towels at all. i then called for towels to which they took ages to get to my room, so i couldn't shower until 00:30, by then i was highly annoyed and irritated as i had to be up by 6:30am for my day. on my way out the next morning i spoke to the front desk and asked them to rely to housekeeping if they could thoroughly deep clean the room and i highlighted the dust area that i saw, they replied they would be on it with out an apology by the way. when i got back to my hotel room around 6pm the first place i went to look at was the cupboard, to which to my dismay the dust was still there i had even taken my time to draw a zero in the dust to see if they would get to it. i had no towels in my bathroom again, to which i had to call the front desk for, this time with an apology they arrived but in their own time frame. i was also wondering to myself if they cannot clean properly what else are they not doing properly i.e. clean sheets, clean apartment. i made the decision to check out the next day and to go stay at the intercontinental which is right across the street. to which i must say was way better and I'm currently still here now. Even when they asked me how my stay was i highlighted the problems and all i got in return was "oooohhh I'm very sorry" not even how can i rectify your stay or how can we improve it, they didn't really seem to care i was cutting my stay short.......so much for hospitality, I'm just baffled to the nonchalant attitude of the staff, and thank goodness for the mall being so attached to it that i chose to eat in the square where there are a variety of restaurants there. i don't think i will be going back to this place anytime soon, i don't think it deserves the 4 star or whatever the rating is because there is plenty of options to stay nearby.....they ned to really get their act together because i was not impressed, the only thing they have going for them is the location. this is not a 5 star hotel, there are so many amenities missing in the room that don't qualify it to be that i would probably say great 2 star and probable 3 star not 5 star, and trust me i travel the world even into 3rd world countries. housekeeping here needs to get their act into order

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
RuiAntunes, Deputy General Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2016

Dear Chenge,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review for us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate all feedback as it assists us in correcting any possible service shortcomings.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the experience that you had with us. We take great pride in ensuring our guests are looked after and the experience that you describe is definitely not the service standard that we pride ourselves on. Your feedback has been distributed to all the relevant management who will be investigating the matters raised and take corrective action with the parties involved.

The fact that you highlighted your concerns upon departure and nothing was done about it, along with the cleanliness and lack of towels in your room is unacceptable service standard and will be addressed as a matter of urgency.

I completely understand how this experience negatively impacted your impression of us and why you would not consider returning to us. Should you, however have a few minutes to spare, I would appreciate it if you could contact me, either on rantunes@legacyhotels.co.za or 011 292 7000, so that we can discuss this matter further.

Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Great location, nice rooms, excellent breakfast and very good service overall. The SPA is very good as well and had great massage there. But for a 5 Stars Hotel there are unacceptable flaws and some may sound funny, but still, should not be:
1) Mini-bar is empty when you arrive and has to be asked to be filled (seriously ?) - for some it is a detail for a 5 star, this should not be (and whom think otherwise are not used to 5 stars).
2) Late check-out can be requested as per mentioned in Hotel in room booklet, until 12h. Once asked to reception, they said they could not confirm, only the day of check out. What is the point to say it is feasible in a booklet and then say no ? One more time, this level of service should be a must in a 5 start, I understand it may depend on availability but then, you do not put it in booklet.
3) I asked for a bottle opener as there where none in the room (?!) - lady brought one to the door but said she needed it back (?!?) what if I want 2 beers, do I call back, do I open it now for later ? I mean... what the hell, this is a 5 stars and they do not have a bottle opener per room. I have been in cheap airport Hotel and they have bottle opener by default. One more time, we are talking 5 stars, such thing should not be.
4) When checking out I mentioned I took a beer from the mini-bar so it can be put on my bill, the lady wanted to send someone to check my mini bar... really ? Do you do this with all people checking out ? no, she said. so ? She finally called kitchen to get the price (yes) and put it on the bill, one more time, I felt like being in a hotel in China where Customer always steal stuff in the room, really sad.
5) I booked transportation to airport and paid for a BMW limousine, I got a Toyota Smellyrola... one more time ... I asked the lady: I did not pay for that right ? I paid for BMW ? -- She said: You really want BMW (with a smile)? Yes, I want what I pay for, isn't this normal ?

Anyway, when you go to Sandton, go to International 5 stars which have and uphold standards that include the 'basics' and proper courtesy culture, not the Legacy Hotels that actually play like 5 stars but miss on the details. One last think, every morning you have a pow-wow of the maids in the corridors discussing and laughing and waking you up, they do not care, I felt like being back in the Philippines !!!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
RuiAntunes, Deputy General Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2016

Dear ssseb2015,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us and for writing such an extensive review for us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback from our guests as it assists us in improving our service offering.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the fact that you booked a BMW to take you to the airport but received a Toyota and that the housekeepers were noisy early in the mornings. Both of these matters have been addressed by the relevant management and corrective action has been taken with the parties involved. Complimentary late check-outs can be requested, but as Reception advised, these are only confirmed on the day of departure as, due to occupancies, we are then in a better position to accommodate the guest’s specific needs. We will, however definitely have a look at the wording in our in-room brochures.

As you mentioned, our mini bars are only stocked on request, however, I have made a note on your profile that for all future stays, we will stock the mini bar in your room. Your comments regarding the mini bar process on checkout and having a bottle opener in the room is appreciated and will certainly be taken into consideration.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

This is an upscale, exquisite hotel with all the finer amenities that can be offered.
The rooms are great. The beds are pushed together which may cause a problem for people who share a room. I loved the large over-sized bathtub!
The hotel was in walking distance to the Convention Center and Nelson Mandela Square. I had the pleasure of seeing the statue of Mr. Mandela.
Excellent service by the entire team. There was always someone available to assist you.

Room Tip: The breakfast is excellent, perfect for gluten-free diets
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
RuiAntunes, Deputy General Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Dear Sunshine_Sandy2012,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us by writing such an extensive review on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback from our valued guests.

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and your comments regarding the excellent service that you received will definitely be distributed to everyone. Should you ever visit us with a friend and need to share the room, we will gladly move the beds further apart for you.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 4 September 2016

Lovely friendly friendly staff and that is where it stops. Supposed to be 5 star but alas no, the room we were in had very light curtains so light came in a dawn broke, no slippers provided, no body lotion provided, one sweet and on bottle of water delivered a turn down although two of us in the room. Limited tv programs and not all of them working, our room 606 was noisy as it was Saturday night and there is a club under the floor so had bass music until 2am.
All in all there are better places to stay.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
RuiAntunes, Deputy General Manager at DaVinci Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Dear BruceBruce13,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate all feedback from our guests as it assists us in correcting any possible service shortcomings.

Please accept my apologies for the fact that you did not receive body lotion in your room and that you only received 1 bottle of water and 1 chocolate on turndown. I see that the reservation was only made for 1 person and therefore turndown was only done for one, but both the relevant Head of Departments have been made aware of your comments and will be taking the necessary corrective action. I have also asked our Maintenance Manager to investigate the problem that you have had with the TV as we have installed new televisions throughout the hotel last week, which offers our guests a selection of 51 television channels. As a standard, we only supply slippers in all of our upgraded rooms, but I have made a note on your profile that for all future stays, we will put slippers in your room.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the noise from the club in the mall that kept you awake until 02:00. I can completely understand the inconvenience and frustration that this caused you and can assure you that the Mall Management will be taking action against them.

Thank you again for your feedback. Your comments regarding the staff is truly appreciated and will be distributed.