“Unplanned four course meal”
Review of Ocean Basket

Ocean Basket
Ranked #25 of 104 Restaurants in Midrand
Reviewed 1 October 2017

People who go to Ocean Basket generally know what they're getting. Pretty decent food, good prices, no fireworks. So with that expectation our family of five headed to OB at the Mall of Africa.

The restaurant was fairly busy but we were accomodated without delay. The waiter took our drinks order promptly although these took a bit of time to be dispatched.

I ordered a starter whilst the rest of the family tucked into the complimentary bread.

My mussel starter was average, it had cooled down before it got to me which detracted from the appeal but was otherwise reasonable. The price is good and the garlicky aftertaste quite enjoyable to me.

My two children had ordered a large sushi plate to share and had asked that the crab sushi be excluded. The waiter said that this was not a problem. My wife ordered a fish dish and someone else had ordered prawns. I had asked for tuna as a main meal.

The meal turned out to be rather farcical as two separate large plates of sushi arrived about thirty minutes later. The crab had been replaced with salmon but the double order was clearly way too much for two kids. But as they were hungry I elected not to make a fuss. The fish and chips also arrived at the same time and was quite tasty. A good sized portion with excellent french fries.

Unfortunately, my order as well as the last order did not arrive at the same time. About fifteen minutes later, one of the orders arrived, with the earlier recipients having already finished with their meal.

Another fifteen odd minutes later, the last plate of food was delivered, roughly an hour after having been ordered.

The food at Ocean Basket is usually quite good and there is rarely grounds to complain. However, the service levels at this branch leave something to be desired.

I would suggest that this place is good for couples who are not in a hurry but should rather be avoided by anybody with hungry children.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Feel for a Sunday lunch away from home - Friendly reception - quality food and even a nice chat with supervisor telling you about the Mall of Africa - enjoyable.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

I've been going to Ocean Basket since before it was a franchise (it started as a small, hole-in-the-wall shop in Menlyn shopping centre). The fish was fresh, grilled hake literally fell of the fork. Every time with consistency.

These days, there are a number of franchise outlets that do not do the original outlet justice. Many serve dry, old fish.

On the plus side, the staff are usually attentive and apologetic. Sometime the quality of the fish is good (fresh), but more and more, it appears that this is a secondary objective for Ocean Basket restaurants, which is really a pity.

Galaktoboureko deserts are good, coffee and espresso are good, but only some outlets have proper Grappa / Ouzo / 1920 to complement it.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

Being part of a franchise they can be classified as being in line with standards specified. Nothing to separate them from the rest of the group even although the setting in the Mall is a nice relaxed one.

Reviewed 21 February 2017

We love Ocean Basket Restaurants as a family, so we're always on the look out for one. However we have found some to be really poor, from the service to the food etc. I have to say the OB in the Mall of Africa is a great experience. Lots of friendly staff, quick to serve and help you. The food is fresh and outstanding. The ambiance of the place is lovely, whether you sit inside or on the outside overlooking the fountains. I really can't fault this restaurant. It never disappoints.