“Excellent Coffee was expected ... Excellent food was an added bonus”

4th Avenue Coffee Roasters
Ranked #22 of 55 Coffee & Tea in Johannesburg
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This tiny restaurant - well known for its excellent coffee - has a wonderful menu with something for everyone. The great food was a real surprise and we will definitely make it a favourite.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

With many places closed between Christmas & New Year we went to 4th ave and settled on Coffee Roasters. I asked for filter coffee with foamy milk on the side-came just as I asked for. Breakfast was very yum-French toast ( with my wheat free bread) with cinnamon, honey, strawberries & bacon & smashed avo on toast. Ashley looked after us and I got my coffee on the house because they used my bread!

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 5 September 2017

My friends and I headed here for a Sunday morning breakfast on recommendation of it's great coffee. A small wait for a table was to be expected and staff were running off their feet. It was challenging to flag down attention however we did eventually get the attention of staff though a struggle.
Our breakfast order took absolute ages and twice over there seemed to be mis-understandings with communication between waiters and the kitchen. Long story short the Manager on duty eventually came to tell us about the mishap of our order not having gone through after a very very long delay. She did ask for our food to be fast-tracked and did not charge us for the meal. We appreciated the gesture and would not ordinarily accept that and would insist on paying however this wait was really not ok.
Coffee were fantastic and twice over requests for water was overlooked.
Being in the service industry I am fully aware that a waiter would easily overlook water as it is not chargeable and technically not a priority for some to easy to forget.
Eventually the water arrived and so did our waitress apologise.
The food was great and so were the coffees.
I will for sure give it another try in the future. Fantastic outdoor setting and great for catching sunrays.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

This is my regular double espresso stop every Sunday. They are very consistent with quality and I have never had a bad espresso-very fussy with my coffee.
They are busy on Sundays so a small wait for a table and for service is to be expected.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

We went for the coffee after a recommendation from a friend but I was more taken with the food instead!

Parking in the area isn't much of an issue but seating at the venue is. There aren't many tables at all. We sat inside, close to the kitchen - sitting outside is way better.

The coffee. They have a single house blend (Legendary Pink) which I was told is a blend of South American and Central African. It presents very nicely (super dark crema) but doesn't have a distinguished taste. Overall it's quite sharp and bitter if I compare it to a double short flat white at other leading coffee roasters.

The food was really tasty and will be what I remember. The Elvis Style French Toast was magnificent. If you're a bacon lover then you're in for a teal treat. There were also nice kid's options like toast with Marmite and cheese.

Style-wise, the royal porcelain crockery seems to be a trademark; the music is Parlotone-type vibes which suits the venue well.

Cardless payments supported are Zapper *and* SnapScan (which automatically means Masterpass). It's unusual for a place to offer more than one cardless payment option.

Date of visit: May 2017