“Excellent Walking Tour” 4 of 5 bubbles

Curiocity Backpackers
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“Excellent Walking Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed the "Inner City" walking tour with Tshepo. Felt like we were given a true local view of artsy Maboneng and downtown. Really great street art and fascinating traditional healers market I wouldn't otherwise have seen. Complemented my tourist tour nicely. Enjoy the relaxed backpacker vibe of the cafe as well. Highly recommend the tour.

Stayed May 2016, travelled solo
Bheki D, Owner at Curiocity Backpackers, responded to this review, 12 May 2016
Good day

Thank you for such a great review and being able to take part on our Innercitry tour.
Great images and we are happy that you were able to experience Joburg like a local.
Curiocity Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

Staying in the middle of Johannesburg might scare some, but it really is a great place with so many guards that the number of robberies where quite limited with the people staying in the hostel. Just don't bring valuables and you will have an great experience with this extraordinary city. Please join the hostel tours, as finding your way in the city alone can be quite hard.

Stayed July 2015, travelled with friends
Bheki D, Owner at Curiocity Backpackers, responded to this review, 12 May 2016

Thank you for such a positive review.
We are always delighted when our guests are able to explore Joburg.
We look forward to hosting you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2016

When I arrived at curiocity for the first time, I was immediately absorbed the curiocity family, sent off to explore the city by foot with other travellers, given detailed instructions on where to walk and which route not to take. I returned several times during my first trip to south africa and went back in march this year.

Dudu and K at the front office are amazing. They help with whatever issue you have.
I stayed at the female dorms in the main building. I personally like the style of the rooms a lot: white beds and white linens in contrast with the roughness of the brick stone building create a bright and friendly atmosphere. Bathrooms and kitchen are always clean and regularly taken care of.

Besides the charming industrial set-up, curiocity is about its people. All staff members made me feel at home from the minute I set foot into the hostel. Open bar and balcony area encourage travellers and locals to meet, spent time and get to know each other. It's easy to connect and participate in local events like bike rides, markets, going out to bars and clubs.

I always felt very safe in maboneng, a hip and gentrified neighbourhood drawing in youngsters and hipsters from around joburg.

I truly love the place. It feels like home away from home.

• Stayed October 2015, travelled solo
      Location
1 Thank Steffi S
Bheki D, Owner at Curiocity Backpackers, responded to this review, 9 May 2016
Good day Steffi

Thank you for such a positive review.
We believe in creating an integrated urban space and we are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and got to immerse yourself with all that Curiocity has to offer.
We hope to host you soon again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2016

I really, really enjoyed my stay at Curiocity. I stayed four nights in an 8 bed female dorm room. The rooms was incredibly spacious, very clean, comfortable beds and quiet once the bar downstairs is closed (I think they close at 10:30 pm). The building is very cool, has a lot of character but is still clean and well kept. The bar area is so cozy, with a wood burning stove to cuddle up with on cold rainy days. The bar area is open to the public so it was a bit busy at times, but there is a porch upstairs overlooking the street with a view of the city that is for guests only that is more mellow. My *only* complaint is that the wifi was out periodically during my time there, but hopefully they resolved the issue.

The neighborhood - Maboneng - is very cool and "up and coming", with plenty of bars, cafes, boutiques and art galleries. At night, there are security guards on every block in this neighborhood, so I felt quite safe. For travelling outside of this area: I walked by myself to and back from Carlton Center with no problems, but otherwise I used Uber as well as the Inner City Tour and Soweto Tour provided by the hostel to see the city. The tours through the hostel are excellent. The tour guide (Tsebo, I think his name is? Sorry! :)) and the rest of the staff are very professional, helpful and super friendly. I found Johannesburg to be very interesting and I was never bored.

I am in my thirties and have been travelling a long time. I'm not so into partying any more, but I thought this hostel had the perfect balance of professionalism and good vibes. I hope to stay there again some day. Thanks Curiocity!

Room Tip: If you want to get wifi signal in bed, book in the dorm rooms upstairs in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2016, travelled solo
      Location
Bheki D, Owner at Curiocity Backpackers, responded to this review, 9 May 2016
Good day Britt

Thank you for such a positive review.
We are very excited that you enjoyed your stay with us and got to fully immerse yourself with urban Joburg.
We look forward in hosting you again.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2016

This hostel is located in Maboneng Precinct which has restaurants, art galleries, a theatre, and a weekly market, however, it is surrounded by poor areas where it is not safe for tourists. The contrast is very stark. Someone attempted to pickpocket me, and two guests were mugged in the two days we stayed there. Uber is the best way to get around. The vibe is very cool and hip (perhaps slightly too much?). Their cafe serves average food. There are lockers in the rooms, although overall security is not great as the property is open all day and anyone can wander in and out. Doors for the rooms do not lock automatically. Bunk beds are nice and solid.

• Stayed April 2016, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Bheki D, Owner at Curiocity Backpackers, responded to this review, 24 April 2016
Good day

Thank you for your review.
The best way to explore any city in the world is through the eyes of a local, hence we offer in-house tours that allow guests to experience Joburg safe and truly have an authentic urban experience.
Our bar is integrated, but not all space are open to everyone. Come experience our space if you want to connect with people and understand Joburg as is.
Our accommodation description doesn't state that our doors have an automated lock system. However you get a key to your room on check in.