All reviews corporate hotel thoughtful touches south africa within walking distance place to stay loved our stay wonderful weekend b and b quiet neighborhood gardens are beautiful home from home big city each morning the main house guest house delia rusks
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Thank you Delia from Rutland House for a wonderful weekend. Our suite was so comfortable with every ammenity imaginable. This pretty B and B is centrally located and so easy to get to without travelling on busy roads, a big plus in Jhb! Breakfasts were delicious, accompanied by wonderful conversations , we could have sat there all morning!!! This is a happy, elegant and peaceful home!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Thank you Mandy, for the lovely review. The breakfast conversations were hilarious and everyone got on so well even though you had all just met. That is what I love best about the B&B business. I look forward to your next promised visit. Till then, keep well and all the best.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

When you need a homely, quiet, safe and supportive spot to relax, enjoy the gardens, delicious breakfasts and warmth of Delia and the staff, then Rutland House ticks the boxes. Just the ideal place for our final days in South Africa. We were totally supported and enjoyed the privacy, comfortable room and extended checkout. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you so much for your super review. It was a pleasure to have you to stay and i enjoyed our conversations. I hope you make it back to South Africa again and stay longer at Rutland House.
Wishing you all the very best

Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

This guest house was my first stop in Africa, and was a prelude to a two week safari I was about to undertake.

I don't know which I found most charming when I walked through the gate after a grueling 24 hour journey from Montreal, the guest house itself, or its owner Delia. There are only seven rooms in the house, which means that your stay is above all quiet, and peaceful. The grounds themselves are spectacular, with trees, gardens, and flowers everywhere. A "bird tree" in the main garden of the breakfast room enchants the guest with calls from their inhabitants.

The rooms are well laid out and comfortable, with all of the necesary features, microwave, stop top, fridge, coffee and tea maker, biscuits, and all you need. The rooms are very clean, beds comfortable, and are well appointed.

The staff, including the owner of the guest house, are attentive to your every need and will make breakfast for you in the morning. The breakfast is much more than cold cereals and toast. A freshly prepared papaya was waiting when I arrived, and eggs, toast, juice and coffee are served. All was great.

There are also a couple of excellent and modestly priced restaurants within a safe walking distance. Try the CPR Café at the end of the street.

All in all, I was delighted with my stay, and would recommend Rutland House unreservedly to our readers.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you for your wonderful review Don. It was a pleasure to have you to stay and as promised I expect to see you next year with your friends for a return visit. I hope you have a super trip to the Okavango Delta and that you see all our wonderful wild life and birds.
Till next time, keep well and all the best

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

First and foremost, everyone was very hospitable and accommodating. Rutland house is situated in a nice, safe, quiet neighborhood. However, there isn't a whole lot within walking distance so you'll need to plan to either have a car or call cabs/Uber if you want to venture out.

Our room was right off the driveway and was relatively basic. It was comfortable enough, clean, and had a lot of space. However, it wasn't modern or updated and was really cold.

Sara and Greta were very nice and made us lovely breakfasts each morning. The owner was actually away on holiday during our stay but her friend Colleen ensured we had everything we needed and were comfortable.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matisham
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2017

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. You were here in a really cold snap and all the rooms have heaters and electric blankets so you should have only felt cold when you were outside. You are correct to state that Rutland House is not modern and sophisticated - this is not what we are about. The rooms are hardly basic as they offer far more than the average hotel suite with several choices of teas and coffees, fresh fruit bowls and fresh milk in the fridge along with healthy rusks (biscuits). Previous guests on Tripadvisor have mentioned that everything has been thought of to make your stay special. We are in the quiet, tree filled suburbs which is stated on all the web sites where we advertise. This is not a hotel but a private home where guests are welcomed to share the cottages and en suite bedrooms which are set away from the main house with their own private entrances and patios or garden. I do agree that it is better to have a car or use a cab as we are not in a shopping mall however these are easily organized for our guests as many do not want to self drive. Tours and transfers are easily arranged if we are alerted in advance. I wish you all the very best and I am sorry I did not get to meet you. Delia (Owner)

Reviewed 31 July 2017

Very quiet, comfortable and welcoming guest house in the bustle of Jozi... the host Delia went out of her way to make our short stay hassle free... highly recommended, especially if you are looking for a safe and friendly alternative to the big hotels :-)

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2017

Thank you so much for your review. It was a pleasure and fun to have you to stay. i look forward to another future visit now you know where we are. all the best. Delia