Rutland House
US$246
US$115
US$88
Agoda.com
Motel Mi Pi CHi(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$73
Hotels.com
The Reef Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$51
  • Restaurant
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$55
Hotwire.com
All reviewsorchard roomcoffee tea makercraighall parktwo single bedshome away from homesouth africawithin walking distanceplace to stayleafy suburbloved our staywonderful weekendquiet neighborhoodgardens are beautifulrooms are comfortablebig cityeach morningdelicious breakfast
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Rutland House is a lovely bed and breakfast, with an old school charm. I definitely recommend this place for anyone having to go to Johannesburg as it is close enough to the major business hubs, yet has the feel of a country house. Delia (the owner) is friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cottage which had a lounge, two rooms, a kitchen, bathroom and beautiful little courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank yo so much Marie for writing my 100th !!! review. it was lovley meeting you all be it for such a short stay. I hope to see you agian in the near future. With very best wishes. Delia

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I discovered Rutland House on Trip Advisor, and chose it not only because of its superlative reviews, but also because Delia seems to reply to all of them, and remember every guest she has ever encountered. It was this personal touch which impressed me, and it transpires that this is a major feature of the accommodation.

Like many other reviewers, I was somewhat nervous of Johannesburg’s reputation for crime, but my wife, three daughters (teens and early 20s) and I found this to be totally unfounded. Craighall is a lovely area, and not remotely intimidating. Delia reassured us, and was absolutely correct, that it was completely safe to walk around even at night, which we did repeatedly during our 7 night stay. In fact, we found Jo’burg as a whole to be considerably more friendly and unthreatening than many other cities we have visited across Europe and America, which I am ashamed to admit was a big surprise to me. We met and talked to many people during our stay, black and white, and the only ones we found objectionable were the occasional white individuals of dubious racial views, and we have plenty of them in England.

As others have said, the guest house itself is beautiful and secluded, with lovely gardens and private entrances for each unit. Breakfast is included, and cooked to order, and the rooms are stocked with tea, coffee, snacks and sweets which are replenished daily by the two maids, Sarah and Gretta. They are efficient and delightful, and never obtrusive. In fact they seemed to do their work as if by magic - while we were at breakfast the beds were made, and on our return in the evening a light and the heater was already turned on (we visited in winter), and towels and toiletries replaced.

Delia was as lovely and friendly as everyone says, and a superb cook, but halfway through our stay she left to begin her own holiday. Olga and Dick took over the running of the place, and they were as warm, hospitable and humourous as Delia had been. Like her, they too helped when we needed it with planning and map-reading our outings, as well as all the other little details of B&B living, such as cooking great breakfasts and looking after our luggage after checking out. But as with Delia, Sarah and Gretta, we never felt our privacy or self-determination was compromised. We really had the best of both worlds - the independence and privacy of staying in one’s own accommodation, combined with the catering, assistance and personal attention associated with a hotel or guest house.

If you are reading this looking for a safe, peaceful and exceptionally comfortable place to stay in Johannesburg, and you chose not to stay at the Rutland House, I feel very sorry for what you will inevitably miss. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Hay Joe, Thank you so very much for your fantastic review. It really was such a treat for me to meet you both and your lovely girls. Although quite mad.. what do they say about "mad dogs and Englishman and girls swimming in a cold winter pool"... I am so happy your special family trip went well and I can always rely on Dick and Olga and Gretta & Sarah to fill my shoes.
I do hope that I might see you here again or even just a daughter or two in the future.
Till then all keep well and happy.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We only had the pleasure of staying one night as a break between the overnight flight from London and travelling on to Botswana, but Rutland House was quite charming and relaxing. Our ground arrangements were all taken care of by Delia so we were picked up at the airport and returned the following day without a hitch, so important when you are tired and in an unfamiliar city. Delia was the perfect host and suggested a lovely restaurant down the road within easy and safe walking distance which was absolutely super for dinner. Our only regret was not being able to stay for longer. Maybe next time!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much Duncan, yes far too short a time in Johannesburg so i await the "next time" .
I am really pleased you enjoyed your trip and stay with us at Rutland House.
I look forward to hearing about your next trip to JHB and I can arrange all sorts of fun and interesting days for you.
Take care

Reviewed 11 August 2012

This B&B is an amazing place to stay when you're in Johannesburg.

2 colleagues and I stayed here for 3 nights in total on either side of a Kruger Safari. Delia is so nice and so helpful, it really made the trip!

The rooms are nice and clean and with all the amenities you could want. We were there in the winter on the coldest days of the year, but the rooms had heaters and electric blankets to keep warm and cosy. In each room were tea and coffee supplies, fresh fruit and very tasty cinnamon rusks (like biscotti). Which was a godsend because our flight back from Kruger was very late and we would have gone hungry.

Breakfasts are amazing with fresh fruits, choice of cereals and yogurt and a full hot breakfast. This really kept us going for our freezing cold day of touring around Johannesburg.

Also have to mention that Delia recommended Chic Chamberlain from Macit Tours for our transfers to and from the airport and for our day tour around Johannesburg and Soweto. Chic was so kind and patient and a great tour guide. His bright and smiling face at the airport made our very delayed arrival from Kruger that much less distressing.

For those of you who shy away from B&Bs because you are afraid you'll be staying in someone's spare room (this was me just last year) please rest assured that each room has its own private entrance and is very secure and safe. I would have felt perfectly comfortable staying here as a solo traveller, especially if I had Chic to take me around.

Thank you Delia!

Room Tip: There are a variety of rooms, so ask Delia which one she would recommend.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Thank you Jay for such a wonderful review. It was great for me to have you to stay. Thank you for mentioning Chic, i will pass your message on. I hope you had a successful trip and conference in Cape Town and also hope to see you again in the near future at Rutland House.
All the best o the 3 of you.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

You will truly enjoy your stay here... My husband and I stayed 2 nights.. We flew into Joburg from the States and went straight to Rutland's. Delia is a jewel.. She welcomed us with open arms. We had the first cottage when you enter the grounds, private entrance, nice large king bed, private bathroom. The grounds are beautiful (flowers, trees, pool). The next morning we had breakfast. typical breakfast eggs, bacon, bread, fruit, coffee, juice, etc... But I am more than sure Delia would accommodate you if that is not to your liking. We had to fly out to Zimbabwe that morning for 3 days and didnt want to take all of our luggage. Delia was kind enough to store our luggage for us. When we returned to her place for our second night stay all was well. Our luggage was in the cottage waiting for us. You will not regret your stay her... I was concerned about safety issues before I left the States but no problems at all. safe location. My husband and I even went walking around off the grounds. Would defintiely stay again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
rutlandhouse, Owner at Rutland House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Rutland House and be my 96th reviewer !
It was great having you to stay and easy to help you store your extra baggage whilst you travelled. Your remark about even walking off the grounds because you felt safe pleases me as we do get bad press on the safety of Johannesburg. This is so inaccurate as I have for the past 14 years walked with my 1 or 3 lady friends on average 26 kilometers a week for excersise all around our suburbs and parks and never had a problem, so yes, indeed it is safe if one is sensible. Thank you again for the lovely review and I hope you come back to South Africa for another trip.
Best regards Delia