“Good for a Quick lunch!”
Review of Voodoo Lily Cafe

Voodoo Lily Cafe
Ranked #308 of 1,387 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on the corner of St Andrew St & Wrenrose Avenue in Birdhaven shopping centre, this sunny glass fronted restaurant brings new life to an old row of shops.The decor exudes a back to basics concept, with its tables made out of reclaimed aluminium and recycled compressed plastic and husks. Collectables sit comfortably along side more modern fittings giving the cafe a homely, comfortable feel.You are welcome at most any time to pop in for "a cup of fair trade, organic African coffee" or to linger over a "locally sourced home-made meal". Fully Licensed. Opening hours 7:00am to 10pm Monday to Saturday and Sunday 7:15am to 3pm
Reviewed 4 August 2018

Indoor and outdoor seating. Pet friendly restaurant for outdoor seating. Good service. Good pasta selection.

Jonathan_Beattie, Owner at Voodoo Lily Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Hi DDR1234
Thank you for your rating and review. - We aim to make simple wholesome meals that anyone will enjoy.
What can we do better next time so when you do visit us again, you will give us a 5* rating?

Reviewed 4 August 2018

This is a great little cafe with very good food and service and perfect if you are staying at the brilliant Melrose Place Guest Lodge or the Protea Wanderers. Ideal place to meet friends or for business.

Hi Patrick - thank you for your rating and review. We are very close to a number of hotels, (including The Peech Hotel as well) and we have a number of business persons over for meetings or just to sit and work on their laptops using our (free) WiFi
What can we do better to get a 5* rating from you the next time you visit us?
Hope we will see you again soon

Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Had a Wonderful Breakfast and Received Exceptional service from Queen.This is a Great restaurant that is Dog friendly.Water is provided.

Jonathan_Beattie, Owner at Voodoo Lily Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2018

Hi Eagle - thank you for your compliment! - I will certainly pass on your comments to Queen. We welcome this feedback.
Also, did you know we have a small menu just for our doggies? Not large, but most doggies LOVE to be treated as well.
We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Came in with my wife and kids after we were seated for 15min that's when they came to take a drinks order which took another 10min to come. Placed a food order and i almost starved while waiting. Had it not been that I'd already waited that long I'd have walked out. They brought our food out before the kids which is odd so had to wait for the kids food. By then our food was cold.

Jonathan_Beattie, Owner at Voodoo Lily Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi Tadiwa
Thank you for your rating and comments. I am so sorry you did not have a good experience at Voodoo Lily Cafe.

Could I ask you to please send me an email with your telephone number so I can follow up on this? We pride ourselves on our service so we need to find out what went wrong and how we can improve

Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is a good and generally dependable neighbourhood cafe with good service and menu and pleasant atmosphere. On Friday nights there is also a great live jazz singer and a bit of a buzz, and so a pleasant place to stop into.

It has also been my local and a favourite for a long time but food quality has declined for some reason; I've had two poor or mediocre meals in a row.

The sushi (March 2nd) was disappointing - to say the very least. Deep fried sushi covered in mayonaise is not good sushi. It is true that mayonaise sort of caters to local taste as far as sushi goes in S.Africa but the sushi rice was stodgy, sticking together, and without the right balance of mirin, vinegar, sugar and salt. Worse than that the salmon and other fillings did not seem fresh. Or, more importantly, tasteful.

The previous meal had also disappointed. The lamb shank arrived to table quite tough, not falling off the bone or close to it and without any sense of seasoning or taste. You have to slow cook lamb shank. And in a restaurant that means having a few pieces ready each time its on the menu. Defrosting and fast cooking it is not going to work. Perhaps they should drop it from the menu if it cannot be done properly and concentrate on steaks and burgers that can be fast cooked.

Other items on the menu are probably still great - good breakfasts, lunch items, fish etc. I think you must order wisely here.

There is a decent wine list although for some odd reason by the glass selections are 3 whites and only one red.

Prices have been creeping up at VDL, it no longer seems to be the cheap and cheerful local. That, combined with decline in food quality, means it does not have the same value to price and overall. I hope management will self-correct and that it will go back to being my local favourite.

Jonathan_Beattie, Owner at Voodoo Lily Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hi D M

Thank you for your rating and very detailed review. This is very useful for us to understand your point of view. I am sorry you have not enjoyed your last couple of times at Voodoo Lily Cafe - this is most concerning.

I will certainly discuss everything you have said with our management team, including our Sushi chef and kitchen manager.

I do know that we do not use standard mayonaise but is proper 'sushi' mayonaise which we only use for Sushi. Re the actual sush rice, I will definately chat to him as this should not be difficult to get right.

Thanks once again for your review and I sinserly hope we will see you again soon