“Well worth seeking it out, really excellent.”

The Codfather Restaurant
Ranked #61 of 1,387 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Codfather is Joburg's finest seafood experience. We serve the finest seafood and delicious grills. We offer private dining as well as functions. We also have a whiskey and cigar bar tailored to your liking. Everything you could ask for in a premium dining experience under one roof.
Reviewed 6 February 2017

Firstly, I'm not a fish lover, so I wasn't really keen to go. But, once you find the place, hidden away in an apartment complex it's actually very very good. The waiter we had was really excellent and the Kingklip and Red Snapper were both fantastic. All is all a fantastic Sunday Lunch. It was so good we've booked to visit again in a few weeks.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

We loved the old venue in Morningside for its comfortable ambience and laid-back style. Being situated in Sandton's "Millionaire Mile", the new restaurant is obviously much more upmarket, but it's still got its flair for wonderful seafood and sushi. They have updated the menu to include a lot more meat dishes, salads and vegetarian dishes. And the ice creams and other desserts are out of this world!
It's also great to see so many familiar faces from years gone by, always a good sign when staff has 20 + years' service.

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely restaurant with great ambience. The menu is varied, but ditch it and head to the seafood counter. There you will find an eclectic mix of fish, both local and beyond. Theses fellas know how to cook and they will prepare all the chosen cuts, exactly how you like it. RSA is known for steak, but if you want a break from the red meat, I would highly recommend this place. It's Fish-tactic!

Reviewed 18 January 2017 via mobile

The venue is a bit soulless. It's large and modern in decor and there's nothing particularly wrong with it - it just lacks personality.

We were shown to the fish counter - I'm always worried by tempting items that don't have a price tag displayed! The gentleman who showed us the fish was very knowledgable and enthusiastic but he ruined it by telling the lady behind the counter 'this is the expensive table'! Shocking, rude and mercenary! Good 'customer service'? Nope; it's all about the colour of your money here. For that reason alone I gave the restaurant three stars and chose my dishes from the menu.

I need to be honest, the food I had was quite delicious - baby squid followed by seared tuna. The wine choices worked well and everyone had a good evening ... if only that chap had held his tongue, I may well have broke the bank on something more adventurous.

I'd go back in the hope that the staff can keep their money-grasping thoughts to themselves.

Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

This restaurant serves fresh seafood from oysters and mussels to fillets of fish and lobster. The restaurant is certainly not cheap, however the quality is always very good to excellent. The deck area is great for fresh air. The bar is exceptionally well stocked. Probably in the top 5 seafood restaurants in Sandton.

1  Thank MDTraveller2725