All reviews garden route secure garage parking tea coffee station boutique hotel huge bathroom spent one night nice property ginger restaurant sitting area following morning short stay easy access close to the airport a wonderful stay
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

Friends of ours booked us in and when they told me it was part of the mantis group I was happy in the sense that we normally stay at boutique no 5 and understand the quality of accommodation. Well, was I in for a surprise. Firstly we checked in and I found our room hadn’t been serviced properly, dirty coffee cups greeted us in the lounge. I put my bags on the bed and switched the aircon on and to my surprise it didn’t work. The front of house manager said it wasn’t possible to get someone to fix it and she will bring me a fan. Eventually I was moved to another room. The other room was very spacious but rather dark. That evening I put the aircon on and to my amazement it didn’t seem to work properly, in the morning I lifted the cover and found almost half a centimeter of dust on the filters which I removed and asked the staff to clean them. Clearly the units haven’t been serviced for well over a year. When you open the fridge the freezer unit is so iced up you actually cannot put anything inside. My wife went to the toilet and couldn’t get out for a while as the door handle fell off. Not the standards one would expect from this group and I am not a cynical individual. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I have in excess of 55 000 readers on trip advisor and I can assure you I will not go back there.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Y720HOpeterm
Ryan L, General Manager at The Windermere by Mantis, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2018

Dear Peter M,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback from your previous stay with us.
I must admit that I am deeply saddened that you experienced such inconsistency with regards to our service standards.
We do take every bit of feedback seriously and we will certainly follow the necessary steps to ensure that we look into the areas mentioned in your review. I would like to humbly apologize for our shortcomings and I do however hope that we get the chance to welcome you back should your travels bring you back to Port Elizabeth.

Reviewed 13 April 2018

The modernised hotel situated a road back from the beach, seems to be a combination of two older properties which have been combined and now feature a lounge and pool area in between. The rooms are exceedingly large but quite dark. However, the rooms and the hotel in general are not maintained. Light sockets had no lights, bathroom was very dirty. Breakfast was poor. Fridge had not been defrosted for months, maybe even a year. Staff were friendly but mostly missing in action and don't ask them to do anything more than meet and greet. Overall disappointing for a hotel that is supposed to be 4 star quality.

Room Tip: Those located higher up will have more light
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jozi2Melb
Reviewed 25 March 2018

We had a 2 night stay recently while in PE to watch the cricket. The rooms are brilliant with loads of room to spread out and the shower itself big enough for 4! The breakfast offering is ample with a great selection of cereals, fruit, meats and also a hot option. Brilliant set up for the day.
The staff are polite, friendly and helpful in terms of recommending places to go and arranging taxis.
Great location, 1 street back from the beach and very handy for local amenities, bars and restsurants

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear robwhittle21,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of our hotel following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that overall your experience was positive about all aspects of your stay. Hope that we get the chance to welcome you back should your travels bring you to Port Elizabeth again

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Love the design and set up. Very large and spacious rooms, bathroom and shower. Friendly staff. Average yet pricey breakfast.
Although not on the main noisy Beach Rd, light sleepers could find racing cars a bother.
The setup will need a make over soon.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Suyenneb

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of our hotel following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had a good overall experience with us. I will certainly be looking into making our breakfast offering more valuable. Your comments are appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Windermere.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Disappointed with this hotel having stayed at others in the Mantis group. Staff difficult to find. They don’t talk so your left to find out where things are yourself. Service of food and drink painfully slow. Room was musty with broken shelf in shower and very stained toilet seat.
Peaceful in the hotel itself but its charging far too much for what it offers . We will give it a miss next time in town as there are other places far nicer.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family